“Disappointing on every front”
Review of Willows Motel

Willows Motel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Williamstown
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We chose this motel because it was billed as being walking distance from Williams College, but it was quite a distance away. When we arrived, we were told that the pool was closed for chemical cleaning. We were charged more than we had been quoted on the phone when making the reservation. The room was dark and shabby. One of the lights didn't work; we requested a new bulb twice, but got no response. The towels were so thin, you could almost see through them. The breakfast was nothing to write home about. Even though it was a no smoking room, every room had chairs with an ashtray outside it, and you could smell the smoke. Ugh, I guess you get what you pay for.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Liz F

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I don't sleep well, don't have an expense account, and hate to spend through the nose for a place to perch overnight. The Willows appeared to represent a good value on line for my one night in Williamstown before a meeting, and that proved to be true. My reservation was taken over the phone by a very polite young woman, and everything was in order when I arrived. The "old-school" form to fill out with name-address-car, and the old-fashioned key-on-a-plastic-fob were perfectly fine, but a hoot in this computer/keycard age.

I asked for a quiet room, and was provided one on the single-floor wing of the mid-20th century L-shaped motel. I was apprehensive at first, as I could hear nearly every word spoken in the parking lot, but, once the sun went down, I didn't hear a thing and slept (for once) like a log. The room was super clean and recently refurbished, new from carpet, paint, bathroom fixtures, to wall art, and bedspread. The two side chairs were small but comfortable. Bed was appropriately firm, and did not squeak. Linens were a little thin, but clean and comfortable.

The room was only a few feet wider than the bed, plus small area to hang clothes (no separate closet). It was perfect for this solo traveler, but a couple with lots of luggage, or a hefty traveler, might find things very, very snug in this room. The ceiling height is at the top of the doorframe: if one has to duck to fit through doors, this room would not be for you. The bathroom was also small but spotless; it would benefit, however, from a shelf, for instance beneath the window or over the towel bar, for traveler's toiletries.

WiFi worked great. I did not have reason to try the small flat-screen TV, wall-mounted air conditioner, or 2-cu-ft mini-fridge.

There was neither proprietor nor guest in sight when I had my continental breakfast very early in the morning, but the selection of cold cereal, baked goods, and hot and cold beverages was surprisingly broad for the tiny registration/breakfast area.

My only beef is that the control dial in the shower was "backward:" I drew water for several minutes on the Hot end of the dial, trying to get hot water, and only getting freezing water instead. When I tried the reverse, I promptly got nice hot water with good water pressure. This wasted a lot of water, and a bit of my time. IMHO, the proprietor should have a card in the room informing guests of this. I do not know if it is just in this one room.

Excellent value, and I will stay here again if I need to be in the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank OtterDaughter
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

WE are extremely pleased that you had such a wonderful time while you visited the Orchards. Thanks for the positive feedback on the date night package. Many of our guests seem to enjoy it. Summer is a great time to spend a weekend in the Berkshires. The Clark Art Institute has recently opened featuring its China exhibits. Williamstown Theater Festival opens soon with a fantastic play bill for theater goers

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Second visit to this classic motel and impressed with the very clean and comfortable accommodations. The free WiFi and flat screen TV are modern needs, but the good sized rooms with a cozy decor provide a nice balance. Outdoor picnic area and breakfast selection are a nice benefit. Plenty of restaurants in walking distance, as is the Williams College campus. The owners are excellent and extremely flexible. They really help make a vacation or visit go smoothly. It's the place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank NCtxplt
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you very much for your continued loyalty to the WILLOWS MOTEL WILLIAMSTOWN. It is very special to me, and the rest of staff, when we have guests who appreciate our efforts to make you comfortable time and time again. You may want to think about a visit this summer when the Clark Art Institute and Williamstown Theater Festival have some marvelous offerings for visitors to the Berkshires. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Good value for the money. Landed here during a whirlwind tour of NE colleges, and was perfectly satisfied. The Willows is not a posh lodge, but a traditional motel--you park right in front of your room--and the look and feel are charmingly 1950's. If you're up for a stroll, the Willows is reasonably close to Williams College and the heart of Williamstown; because of time constraints, we drove to those places, but they are certainly within walking distance. Owners are a very gracious couple who go out of their way to make you feel welcome; after I idly chatted with them about teas one night, the next morning they had a hot cup of chai waiting for me. Rooms are clean, comfortable, a little dowdy (again, charmingly dated, in my opinion). A couple of tables squeezed into the lobby serve as the "breakfast area," and the breakfast options are almost entirely prepackaged carbs (sugary cereals, packaged muffins); folks who depend on a more hearty, protein-packed start to the day should plan accordingly. The lobby offers a tremendous selection of free brochures of upcoming events and nearby attractions. Would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Be aware that about a third of the rooms are on the second floor of a two-story wing. If accessibili...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Texas_Trevor
Reviewed February 26, 2012

$55 per night so we didn't expect much especially after we registered the old fashioned way by completing our registration in pen! We then received our room key... Yup you guessed it, a real key on a key chain that has our room number and the old "if found drop in any mailbox and postage will be paid".
The room itself was larger than most big name chains, had a small bistro type table with two chairs, bureau, microwave, fridge, coffee maker, desk with chair and a small bathroom but had a bathtub. The room also had a large flat screen and wireless.
I would highly recommend this hotel if you are in the area. We were there for a college tour so it was only one night but I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank maine2disney
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Not a lot of choices for hotels in Williamstown. Decent price/value. Didn't try the breakfast in the morning as it was limited and located right next door to the reception desk. (And there's always Dunkin' Donuts down the street...)

Wifi in the room worked great, and was welcome.

I have always enjoyed staying in independent motels; you get some great values, and some other decent ones. I'm guessing the hotel has changed hands recently (based on previous comments) and the owner was very friendly, providing me extra blankets.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed November 17, 2011

The host was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are simple, but clean and inviting. There were complimentary chips and water waiting for us in the room, and free candy in the office. The continental breakfast had good selections of bread, bagels, cereals, and rolls. All the basic cable channels were offered on the television, there was a microwave and refrigerator in the room, all at bargain prices. Would definitely recommend and return!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ralegh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamstown
The Williams Inn
#3 of 13 in Williamstown
MAPLE TERRACE MOTEL
MAPLE TERRACE MOTEL
#1 of 13 in Williamstown

Been to Willows Motel? Share your experiences!