“Overall positive experience”

Ranked #8 of 48 Restaurants in Williamstown
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Located in scenic Williamstown, in the heart of the Berkshires, Hops and Vines features both casual and formal dining rooms. The "Hops" beer garden provides a classic beer garden experience with an approachable, casual environment perfect for family style seating or group dining. The "Vines" Brasserie is a formal dining room with comfortable, elegant seating and top level service. Hops & Vines offers modern takes on comfort food with exciting twists on classically inspired French Brasserie Cuisine in a New American Menu. Complementing our cuisine - is a full bar, specialty cocktails, craft beers on draught and a discerning wine list. For a one of a kind dining experience, step in to our Chef's Tasting Room and dine at our Chef's Table where our Executive Chef,will create unique pairings of food and wine.
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The restaurant was attractive and for a slow day in Williamstown, seemed pretty busy. The bar was modern, comfortable and there is a fantastic bartender. The food, for the most part was excellent. We found a bad oyster (PEI) but I'm pretty sure the kitchen can't control that (even though it put us off eating the rest). I didn't care that much for the waitress, passive to the point of not explaining anything on the menu and sneaking up behind us to pull empty plates away. In retrospect, it is funny, hands suddenly flying in front of your face. The wine was way overpriced, 64 dollars for a bottle of sancerre that Liquor City sells for $11.99? The dessert was horrible and we didn't even try to eat it. Now, I know that you think I only have complaints but that isn't the way it was at all. We enjoyed the restaurant, the bar, the atmosphere - for the most part everything except a single oyster and a pretty bad dessert. I would go to eat there again if I returned to Williamstown. One more thing, the bar makes the best martini I have ever had in my life: Pear Martini - Grey Goose Poire, Elderflower liquer and champagne on top. Loved it!!!

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Here visiting for the day, we went with locals for a light supper and had a great time. Attentive and knowledgable staff, we enjoyed well presented drinks and chose from the bar menu.

5 steak frites were tasty, well cooked and nicely accompanied by salad or fries..... I had the burger- excellent choice- a parmesian crisp on the burger was a nice twist.

As a guest, I didn't feel the pain of a 17 buck burger...... But I really enjoyed the staff, setting and food!

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Three friends and I went to an event here and decided to meet early for dinner, we were the ONLY table there , waiting over 20 mins for our first round of drinks and our server gave us a count down of how long we had till our event started, the girl who delivered our food did not smile once and looked as if someone was making her deliver our food as a punishment! Our server, Jake, was never around, had to find him or ask another random where he was, we were never asked how our food was and had to ask for a second round and my martini was complete empty!
We decided to leave the table and go over to our event in the back room. He told us we could keep our tab open and still order drinks. Wish we hadn't. Took forever for our second round! Got served a margarita from the girl who was working the party and 20 mins after the drink we initially ordered showed up, and we were charged for it, and also a previous drink he had told us he was taking off the check because we had waited so long! After our event we decided to continue on and order some more food, again BIG mistake. We ordered 2 sides of Mac and cheese and fries, discusses scallops among ourselves never ordered them! But they showed up with our Order. We didn't want to complain so we kept them and ate them and the food was good, scallops were little bland too much inventiveness delivering no taste! And again no waiter to be found never asked us how our food was! Didn't ask about another drink! So one of my girlfriends had to go inside to get him for our check. We get our check and write down the last 4 digits of our credit card numbers with the amounts for him to charge and he got two screwed up and then woke up the next morning to find he had charged one girl who was charged wrong at the restaurant a larger amount also and was never notified and is now facing charges at her bank! Completely disappointed, our bill was around 200.00 and our service should have been excellent! Especially since the beginning of the night where we were his only table! With the prices you want to change and atmosphere you have you need to step it up in your customer service department and expedite drink service and maybe ask the girls who are walking around with the largest stink faces I've ever seen to fake a smile once in awhile I'm sure their lives aren't that bad! I don't think I'll be back! I work in the service industry and your standards on service should be a lot higher than what your holding your employees to right now!

Michelle F, Manager at Hops and Vines, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Thank you for your honest review of our restaurant. I am sorry that you and your group of friends had a negative experience here with us on Tuesday evening. The front of house staff strives to provide accurate and pleasant service to all guests. Each day we meet to discuss issues, including errors like you experienced, and also ways to improve our service. I did contact the guest with you who thought there was an added charge; a very simple misunderstanding. We also provided a gift card to her for the inconvenience. I sincerely hope that you choose to give us another shot.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Never could feel comfortable in this place, have tried it three times now... and it is in my hometown. Kind of an elitist vibe... not my scene, but if you are into that then it could be for you. It just feels like everyone in the place is trying to pretend they are not in a rural environment... like there is something that needs to be proven is Williamstown MA? Does not make any sense to me at all.

1  Thank Howard C
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Hops & Vines was recommended to us by locals. We went on a quiet Sunday afternoon. We loved everything about this place. The food was spectacular, the drinks were fabulous and we would be here often if we lived in the area. Staff was friendly and attentive. We asked for recommendations on drinks and food and were greatly pleased with what we got: asparagus and crab soup, tuna as an entree.