“Once was more than enough”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hops and Vines

Hops and Vines
Ranked #8 of 47 Restaurants in Williamstown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Located in scenic Williamstown, in the heart of the Berkshires, Hops and Vines features both casual and formal dining rooms. The "Hops" beer garden provides a classic beer garden experience with an approachable, casual environment perfect for family style seating or group dining. The "Vines" Brasserie is a formal dining room with comfortable, elegant seating and top level service. Hops & Vines offers modern takes on comfort food with exciting twists on classically inspired French Brasserie Cuisine in a New American Menu. Complementing our cuisine - is a full bar, specialty cocktails, craft beers on draught and a discerning wine list. For a one of a kind dining experience, step in to our Chef's Tasting Room and dine at our Chef's Table where our Executive Chef,will create unique pairings of food and wine.
Southern VT
“Once was more than enough”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Four of us sat on the restaurant side because the more casual side was so noisy we did not think we'd be able to carry on a conversation. Once seated we were repeatedly asked if we wanted to order drinks but were not given menus till we asked for them. I did not appreciate this and cannot remember every feeling so pressured to order a drink in a restaurant. It's not as if we were sitting at a bar using up valuable drinking real estate with empty glasses!

This was not an auspicious beginning to our meal. Once we ordered and told the waitress we had a time limit (an hour+) due to a concert across the street, she said no problem and then disappeared for almost a half hour. Actually, once we ordered our drinks, the service declined from over-attentive to "where is our server?" The food was SO salty. Really salt was the main flavor and drowned everything else out. The best thing we ordered was a salad that was delicious. The risotto was so strange: just a pile of red risotto and not one parsley leaf, piece of onion or anything to either decorate the plate or even better, add some contrast to the meal. And did I mention it was too salty? A side dish of spinach: way too salty (and overpriced at $5 for a small heap of spinach). Two in the party ordered an "Italian eggplant" dish. This was truly the strangest meal we had seen: mashed white beans with one slice of (grilled?) eggplant laying atop it, accompanied by a dolma which turned out to be white rice wrapped in a large leaf!. Nothing like the middle eastern version of dolma, no noticeable seasoning, no veggies, just salt.

This might be a fun place to meet some friends for a noisy drink over on the Hops side, but I cannot imagine going back there to eat when there are so many better choices in Williamstown.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank NBPINVT

Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Worst meal in a long time in Williamstown”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

Side of spinach was oversalted to the point of being uneatable. Service was attentive but still took way too long to get entrees. Overpriced appetizer of miniscule dates and bacon.

Never shown an itemized bill until requested because it was way off what it should have been W\Was corrected but somewhat of an ordeal.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank TomJude
Adams, Massachusetts
“Excellent food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I went here the weekend after Valentines day . We had heard great things about the food and we were not disappointed. We both had the salmon and it was fantastic. Probably the best salmon I have had in years. The restaurant had a very eclectic crowd as far as age range... everyone from the 25 somethings to the 60 somethings. Some people had on jeans with dressy tops and others had on dresses and suit coats. There are two sides to the restaurant... a bar-ish side and a more formal side The menu features about 8 to 10 main entrees with choice of 2 sides. We will be going back in the near future.

• Visited February 2012
NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“MUSICIANS BEWARE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

You may not get paid. I have been waiting over 4 weeks to get my check for a gig. I have never had this happen. I play about 300 gigs a year and 95% of them pay right after the gig. The few that don't, mail it out and I get it inside of a week.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank guitarbob
Williamstown, Massachusetts
“Get the Lamb Shank, you won't be disappointed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

We are locals and have been here a couple of times but our dinner was exceptional last night on the Vine side. We opted for the bar, they were having a wine special on house wines, $15.00 for a bottle with dinner. We ordered the Pinot Noir that was a bit sweet but still fine. The bartender offered a tasting of sweet potato and parsnips in a reduction sauce, complimentary, that was nice. We shared the homemade mushroom raviloi appetizer that was delicious. I ordered the Lamb Shank and my husband had Chicken Pot Pie. My dish was enormous and the meat just fell off the bone it was so tender and a huge portion, just delicious. My husband liked his pot pie but I thought the huge chunks of celery were too large and they could have added more chicken. The presentation of both our dishes was very pleasing. Overall I would say this was a really nice meal and very reasonably priced.

Visited February 2012