“a nice change from chinese and Thai”
Review of Saigon Vietnamese - CLOSED

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Seating, Takeout
Homer
“a nice change from chinese and Thai”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My only experience with Vietnamese food is the vendor at the farmers market in Ithaca, NY. so I am only somewhat familiar with the style of cooking and the flavors. I would expect that anyone who enjoys Asian style foods, whether Chinese or Thai will also like Vietnamese. The Saigon has a nice dining room and it was fairly busy for lunch on a Friday. I found the service was good (prompt and attentive). My lunch was served quickly, as in 5 minutes. I had the Sai Gon Pho - Pho Dac Biet which is a classic Vietnamese noodle bowl with rice noodles and a combination of rare beef, flank and meat balls. It is served with bean sprouts and cilantro. I really liked the broth and you get to use an Asian soup spoon which can be fun. They also give you chop sticks for the noodles. I also had a Vietnamese coffee which can be served hot or cold, I had it cold. It was very much like a mocha: rich and sweet.

• Visited July 2012

USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Veggie Noodle Soup”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had takeout, veggie noodle soup which was delicious, lots of noodles, tofu and vegetables. The staff was very nice.

Visited June 2012
Albany, NY
“Bland Food...Poor Service”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My wife and I had an early dinner (approx. 4pm) at the Saigon on May 20, 2012. We were there a little over an hour and we were the only customers during that time. Perhaps that was a message. The food was very bland and did not taste fresh to us, especially the beef. My wife left much of her food behind. The service was inattentive and distracted. Since no one else was in the restaurant, I'm not sure exactly what the waitress was interested in, but it certainly wasn't us. We did not get our drinks until after the food arrived and only after we made determined gestures to get her attention and then "reminded" her. There were apologies but the deed was done. I had been so looking forward to having a beer with my Vietnamese Chicken wings appetizer. In general, the timing was off. The appetizers arrived and the dinners arrived right after that. No real spacing between the appetizers and the main meals. It might as well have all been delivered at once because the effect was the same. It was cheap. $42 bucks with tax. But we would have gladly paid more money for better food and better service. It was a once in a life-time experience for us.

• Visited May 2012
Cheshire
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The quality of the food has improved dramatically and is fresh and tasty according to our 2 recent visits as compared to the quality when they opened. Our waitress who was very friendly and prompt, told us they have a new chef. The Vietnamese pancake/crepe if the best we have tasted anywhere and all other entree's have been very good as well. We haven't tried the pho yet, but the customers next to us who were Asian seemed very pleased.

• Visited April 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food ... Needs to spruce up service”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Some of the dishes are outstanding ... Like the Loc Lac and the raw veggie and shrimp spring rolls ... It's time to spruce up the service and decor and it can thrive !