“Very disappointed”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Williamstown
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My daughter and I made reservations here for the night of Friday August 16th 2013 because we had tickets for a show in Williamstown that evening. We checked in a little after 5pm, received our key and went to our room, unit 11, across the street from the office, When the reservation was made by phone the week prior, I asked about the rooms on each side of the street, and also about the pool. We specifically wanted a pool to enjoy and this motel boasted of a heated pool. I was told that all the rooms were lovely and clean and she would place us in a room on the pool side. I paid for the room in advance as required. We checked in and went directly to our room late afternoon. Immediately we noticed that the door lock was not secure and were hit by a very musty smell as soon as we entered the room. The carpet was frayed, the wallpaper was peeling and the decor was quite outdated. I ran to the bathroom, having been on the road for quite a while, and was disgusted to find a filthy, unflushed toilet. I had no choice but to flush and go.... I called the office right away and was told by the person who checked us in that she would try to get a hold of the owner, since the cleaning staff was gone for the day. While waiting for a response, we tried to go on the internet, as we were told the whole facility had wifi. There was no connection available. About 20 minutes and a second unhelpful phone call later (I was told that only the owner could help us and she hadn't returned to the office yet) my daughter went to check out the pool only to find it unheated, dirty, and with many floating dead bugs. She also told me that a woman was trying to drag a filthy, plastic cover either off or on to the pool. I went out myself and asked that woman if she knew where the owner was and she snipped that she was. I told her about the two messages I'd left over the past 20 minutes and what the issues were. She shook her head and walked over to our room, declaring that the room was fine. I pointed out the problem with the door lock, a stained and dirty bedskirt, frayed and stained carpet, peeling and dirty wallpaper, etc. and finally the bathroom. She turned on her heel from the bathroom and went to the room phone. She called the office and said "Apparently these people think our motel is "disgusting" so give them back their money and see if you can find another room for them someplace else." She hung up and turned around and said "satisfied?" I told her that unless they could find us a cleaner room at the same price, we'd have to stay there and that no, I was very much not satisfied. She left and slammed the door. The office person called back to tell us that the Williams Inn had an opening, but we told her that was well out of our price range. She was annoyed and said it's a busy weekend and what did we expect? I said we expected a simple but clean room and nothing more. She called back a little while later to tell us there was a room at the Berkshire Hills Motel right down the street and we'll be happy with that. I said that before we returned the key and accepted a full refund, we would first check this other motel and room out. We did so, and thankfully it was lovely, simple and clean, as well as $30 less for the night and breakfast. We returned to 1896 and went directly to the office to turn in our key and get our refund. The woman at the office left us standing there while another two customers came in after us to check in. She just said, "one minute please" while I objected to waiting. As she finished with the second customer, the first customer came back in to complain about being put in a room on the pool side when she had requested clearly a room on the office side, I interrupted and said, "I would not stay on that side, we are getting our money back now because our room on the pool side was filthy..." and that is when the office person finally decided to help us (to shut us up)... I was told that we'd have to wait for a refund because the machine was not operating. I said that I'd like cash in that case, and was told absolutely not. I asked to talk with the owner, and this person who pretended to be an employee when I called about the state of our room, said in a very unpleasant manner, "I happen to be the co-owner." I said that I would have to stay in the office until I received a full credit or full cash refund for the room as I had to pay for the other room we were taking down the street. The other customer was still standing there and I turned and started to ask if she wanted to see the pictures I took of the state of our room, and like a miracle, the credit card machine was suddenly fixed!

Room Tip: I would not recommend staying at this motel ever.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank GracieSM
Denise R, Owner at 1896 House - Brookside & Pondside Motels, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
We have anticipated this review and it is exactly what we expected: a thread of truth, some gross exaggerations, many misquotations, and outright misrepresentations. For this reason, we prefer not to dignify this review with a reply.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
NY
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I would have preferred to write a glowing review of this property because the mgt are so nice and friendly, and they have two airdales, which makes them my kind of people. Unfortunately, I cannot. We chose to stay in one of the motel rooms because it was only for one night, and it was cheaper, if you can call $200 cheaper. Big disappointment. It was a classic "strip motel" room, which means tiny and dark; and it was. As we sort of knew what we were buying, I guess I can't complain about that. However, that's where the mgt started to really drop the ball. Lighting was all-important as the room was so dark, but the 3-way bed lamps contained only 65 watt bulbs, so the room remained in perpetual darkness. It was not so dark, however, that we could miss the stains on the bed cover. Ugh. In the bathroom we plucked two tissues from the box, and that was the end of the tissues. Were we staying in the area for more than one night we would have moved.
One reason we and, I assume most people, stay in an inn is to enjoy a delicious and ideocyncratic breakfast. The breakfast at the 1896 House is one that you might see at a Clarion or other lower end property. Pre-scrambled eggs, chewy bacon, etc were a terrible let-down.
I try to be very objective about the places we eat and stay as, I think, my other reviews suggest, and I would have been to praise the 1896 House. I just can't do it. We will not stay here again on our next trip to Williamstown.

Room Tip: Don't stay in one of the motel rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mkarpoff
Denise R, Owner at 1896 House - Brookside & Pondside Motels, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
We are sorry that this guest was unhappy. Some of our Brookside rooms can be dark in the summer because of all the trees surrounding us. However, it is our policy to have 100 watt, if not 3 way bulbs in Brookside rooms. Apparently one of our housekeepers replaced spent bulbs with bulbs that we use for our outdoor lighting. Had we known, we would have changed them. I am happy that this guest brought it up, or we would not have realized it. We have isolated that light bulb bin so that this will not happen again. There is no excuse however for a stained bed cover. We have purposely placed white or cream spreads on our beds to ensure that soiled spreads would be washed and bleached immediately. Our housekeeper and our head-housekeeper, who checks the rooms, apparently missed this.
Although this guest acknowledges that he selected the motel section, he expected an “Inn” breakfast. Had he stayed in our “Inn” our breakfast would not have disappointed him. Most motels offer a simple continental breakfast whereas our motel breakfast is more extensive than what most chain hotels offer. We do receive constant compliments from guests whose expectations are suited to the type of room and rate they have selected.
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My friend and I just returned form a 3-day weekday getaway and I cannot recommend the 1869 enough for it's location, it's friendliness and courtesy from the staff, the terrific restaurant and absolutely beautifully appointed accommodations. An overall WONDERFUL experience that we intend to share with friends anyone traveling to the Berkshires. We'll be back...and soon. :)

Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2013

A few days ago, he asked me to go to a vacation with him, back then we were friends. While when he brought me to this beautiful place, everything was perfect. The landlady was kind, the dog was cute, the room was clean and pretty, the food was awesome, the environment was green and bright. Actually he asked me to be his girlfriend there. Lots of roses, sweet words, pretty gifts, videos shot by him and his best friends. Everything was so perfect and romantic that I could not say no to. This is a place where we fell in love. We are a happy couple and hope you find your only love there!

Vicky & Steve

Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We decided to test our luck by visting the Berkshires in the summer. Great idea. We found this on tripadvisor and were not disappointed. We stayed in Suite 204, Victorian. Lovely is all we can say. It was a fantastic weekend with respect to the weather. We sat on the porch with no bugs and enjoyed a bottle of wine and snacks. The included breakfast was filling and tastefully done. Hosts and chef were very personable. Room was very clean and large.

Room Tip: All rooms in the Barn lead to the covered porch.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Summerfield, Florida
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We met friends at the 1896 House, it was as wonderful as we remembered it to be. The rooms were charming, and spotless. The restaurand was also great. The staff was so pleasant and very accommadating, I would recommend 1895 to to everyone.

We will be back!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Brookside room was a good size, although a bit rustic was well maintained and very clean. Flat screen TV. WiFi is so so, needs a more powerful output from the source.Cube refrigerator in room is a nice touch. Property is in a beautiful setting. Breakfast is unexceptional but certainly has everything. Could be improved by some fresh and nicer breads, thawed bagels don't really cut it.

Staff is very personable, friendly and helpful, but the best part of the "Staff" are the 2 cats and 2 dogs! A veritable greeting committee, the cats are extremely affectionate and friendly, a giant black cat and a smaller tiger puss, along with 2 very mellow Airedale doggies that lay there while receiving attention.

A very nice place to stay, with just those slight flaws mentioned above.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamstown
The Orchards Hotel
#5 of 9 in Williamstown
Berkshire Hills Country Inn
Berkshire Hills Country Inn
#7 of 13 in Williamstown

Been to 1896 House - Brookside & Pondside Motels? Share your experiences!