“Very impressive collection!”

The Clark Art Institute
More attraction details
Owner description: The Clark Art Institute is best known for its French Impressionist paintings by Claude Monet, Edgar Degas, Camille Pissarro, and especially Pierre-Auguste Renoir, with more than thirty paintings by the artist. The collection is also rich in American paintings by Winslow Homer, John Singer Sargent, George Inness, Frederic Remington, and Mary Cassatt; Italian and Northern Renaissance masterpieces; portraits and landscapes by European masters; and an extraordinary collection of silver, porcelain, and furniture. An active program of special exhibitions brings great works of art from around the world to the museum. Designed by renowned Pritzker Prize-winning architect Tadao Ando, the recently opened Clark Center is the centerpiece of the Clark's campus. The center includes special exhibition galleries as well as retail and dining spaces. It overlooks a dramatic three-tiered reflecting pool, integrating indoor and outdoor spaces and creating a stunning visual connection to the woodland surroundings and other buildings located on the campus. This sweeping new landscape design transforms the Clark's 140-acre campus and underscores new sustainability initiatives. In 1950 the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute was founded as a permanent home for the private art collection of Sterling and Francine Clark. In 1955 Sterling-who was an avid horseman with strong family ties to Williamstown and Cooperstown, New York-and his wife Francine presided at the official opening of the museum, sharing their magnificent yet little-known collection with the world for the first time. Since the founding, the museum has gained international stature for the quality of its collection, innovative special exhibitions, and Research and Academic Program.
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Beautiful setting, informative personnel, reasonable and scenic eating cafe. Pizzarro exhibit fabulous. A real gem! Get a combo ticket for Tanglewood.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"worth the trip"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed July 12, 2011

The Family Day at The Clark was excellent. There were wonderful crafts, art lessons, performing musicians, and natural food vendors. It was a fabulous day at the museum. Parking was hard for this event - so plan on walking for 5-10 minutes on the family event days.

Reviewed January 6, 2011

I live near to Clark, so I have visited regularly throughout my life. It has a wonderful collection, effective layout and good traveling exhibits. The staff have always been very friendly so I was shocked last year when I tried to take my then 1 and a half year old son. He is a good boy, and likes to look at the pictures. Personally, I think introducing art to children is very important, and cannot be started too young. My son is very happy in a backpack. In a stroller, he get fidgety, wants to get out and walk, and reaches out a things as we pass by. In a backpack, he sits quietly and studies. The staff however said it is a policy that no backpacks, even child carriers, are allowed into the museum. But I could use a stroller. When i tried to explain that, no, they really would prefer my child's behavior in the backpack and it would be a better protection of their art, they held their ground and would not allow me into the museum. They said it was a risk I would back into a painting. Seriously? I don't ever get close enough to the art to back into it by mistake, and I am aware of my body parameters, even with a pack. And....have they ever pushed a stroller? they have it bit of a mind of their own at times. I'm more likely to knock over a sculpture with the stroller than back into a painting with a pack.
Its too bad. It makes it hard for me to expose him to art at this young age, when everything is exciting and you set the norms for their lives. I wanted viewing fine art to be a part of that for him.

I am aware that Clark is not the only museum with this policy, but I must say it is ludicrous.

1  Thank Sugarledge
Reviewed August 15, 2010

This museum and art library is a gem. While the visiting exhibits are high quality, it's the permanent collection that steals the show. The Clarks particularly liked Renoir and there are 30 of them! The grounds are also nice and you can enjoy a pleasant walk.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We recently visited the Clark with family from Boston. My husband and I have been to many art museums in the US and France, and this one deserves a spot in the top 10 list simply because of the collection and shows. The Picasso Looks at Degas Show was excellent, but what really made my jaw drop was the Impressionist Gallery with the numerous Renoir paintings interspersed with Monets. It was spectacular, and the art was much more accessible than in the majors like the Orsay or Metropolitan. Other rooms featured John Singer Sargent.
We had lunch at the museum, and it was tasty and reasonably priced. The staff was very friendly and accessible. Overall, it was a wonderful afternoon.

1  Thank Newmania