“Noisy, hot and YUMMY”

Horizons
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited Horizons last night, I have always loved the restaurant. In the early 90's a trip there was something to really look forward to. I don't know why but I haven't been for dinner in a while. I have stopped in for drinks and appetizers over the years and have never been disappointed. The decor is slightly dated and, yes, I agree with a previous reviewer, a little dusty in areas. However, I didn't feel like it was dirty. Our food was out of this world. I had the sea bass as our waitperson suggested. My husband had the Salmon which he liked a lot. He especially enjoyed the lobster mashed potatoes that it came with. Our friends had the Shrimp dish and the Angus Sirloin steak. The steak was ordered medium and came out closer to rare. While the waitperson brought the steak to be cooked more my hungry friend ate a lot of bread and wasn't as into the steak as he would have been if it was brought out properly the first time. We had requested to sit in the bar area. In hindsight I was we had not. There was a singer entertaining and although he was very good, he was loud and hindered our conversation. In my opinion that type of entertainment should begin at 9:00. Also, because of the music I couldn't always hear my waitress. This annoyance was compounded by the fact that she almost never came around to my side of the round table. There was really nothing hindering her from doing so. Although I usually don't mind passing a plate or glass it is hard when you order a cosmo. Also, when I ordered my salad I had to just guess at the dressing because she listed them once as she was standing across the table. In her defense, I should have asked her to come around to my side. The bar side was also very hot compared to the restaurant side and outdoors on this July evening. I would go back, for sure.

1  Thank SueP413

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We went to another restaurant with my sister & B-I-L to find it closed. My wife said "let's go to Horizons!"
Very good choice for all four of us. Good drinks & appetizers(calimari, oysters & shrimp). Main dishes included Mom's Burger, Angel Pasta & Lobster for the guys & Chicken Marsala for the girls. Everyone was very happy, especially my wife who joined the Clean Your Plate Club! Desert included Bourbon Bread Pudding & Baileys Torte.
Brenda, our server, was great & up to the challenge of putting up with me & my B-I-L! She made our visit special!

2  Thank ToxeyRon
Reviewed June 28, 2013

As I read the reviews to this restaurant you definitely see a trend....going down hill due to management. You look all around and its very dusty and outdated. The food is ok and higher in price. My server and the bus girl were nice. But it definitely needs to be under new management! I had a restaurant.com coupon that I was told that they do not accept any longer. When I asked why, my server tried to explain but she really did not know why so I asked to speak to the manager. When she came to the table she did not say hello or introduce herself (long dark hair girl) so don't know her name. She acted as if I were bothering her and was annoyed when explaining to me that restaurant.com was not holding their end of the bargain so they do not except any longer and that was that and walked away very rudely. I was in shock and had to take a deep breath. She made me feel that I was wrong for purchasing when Horizons is the one who advertised with them which brought me into their restaurant in the 1st place! When leaving I then spoke to the assistant mgr. who also acted annoyed and very intense but at least gave me more of an explanation and then explained that I could go on restaurant.com and trade it in. She said they use to have a sign up on the wall as you walk in. Note to management: YOU MAY WANT TO KEEP THE SIGN UP! Needless to say because of the poor, rude and ungrateful management team, I and many others will never go back to Horizons...

2  Thank Disappointed508
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The food is really good.I had Chilean sea bass Francaise with risotto that was absolutely delicious! My mother had the same thing, only with salmon. She said hers' was equally delicious. My dad and son both had the princess cut prime rib. They each got a huge piece of tender deliciousness! My husband and son both had the New England clam chowder for an appetizer. It was different, but good. It came with frizzled sweet potato fries and excellent fried oysters! Prices there are a little high for the area. On another downside, there was a distinct urine odor in there! That was a really big turnoff for me! I think they need to update the place and air it out! It was busy, though.

2  Thank Katrina1960
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I went here for our wedding anniversary. I wasn't expecting a romantic setting or anything like that but this place needs updating. It is clean but it really isn't an inviting environment. It is also located right next door to some railroad tracks. While we were there three trains went by.

We order the Crisp Rhode Island Calamari. I found this dish tasty and served hot. I liked the banana peppers I just wished they had a dipping sauce to go with it.

For an entree we ordered Angel Hair Pasta and Pan Crisped Scallops. Both meals were served hot which I really appreciate. The Pasta portion was good sized with plenty of chicken, broccoli, and tomatoes. It was fresh tasting and good. The Scallops were very good. I thought the portion size was quite small especially the amount of scallops (5).

The dinners came with a salad and rolls. The dressing selection was very limited and I should have asked for it on the side because it was a little heavy.

The greeter at the door was friendly and brought us directly to our table. Our waitress on the other hand was not pleasant at all. We felt like we were imposing on her when we asked for refills on our drinks. I haven't been to a restaurant in a long time where they don't ask you if you want a refill when your glass is empty. She came by our table once after the main course was delivery to see how everything was. My problem was she was about 10 feet away when she asked. REALLY you couldn't walk the extra few feet and politely ask if everything was okay.

When it came time to pay for the bill we used a gift card. Ideally we would have liked to include the tip in the gift card total. She just handed back the gift card to my husband and walked away. There was no pen given to even try and add the tip to the card. We ended up tipping in cash but now we have a gift card with a balance that I don't know if I will ever use.

My overall opinion of Horizons is that the food was hot and good. I thought our waitress needed a lesson in customer service. We did hear another waitress interacting with her customers and she was very friendly. I wish we had her. The food was good but expensive and not really worth the price. Our bill was $64.00 not including the tip and we didn't have dessert or alcoholic drinks Our experience was effected by our surly waitress.

1  Thank ronkarejohns