When I was in college (late 90's), this diner was our go-to. Whenever I was in the area after college, I would make sure to stop by. I noticed a steady decline starting in the mid 00's, but the last time I went there will be the last time I ever go.
We ordered cheese fries to start, asking for the cheese sauce on the side (so the fries don't get all soggy). We waited easily 20 minutes although there were only 2 other tables with customers. Around the 20 minute point, we saw the people at a nearby table receive an order of cheese fries. A few minutes later, the waitress came by and we asked when our appetizer would be coming out, and she went over to the other table and then handed us the food, explaining that she'd mixed up the tables. She said it'd be another 10 minutes for a new order so it'd be best if we just ate this one, then asking the customers WHO HAD ALREADY STARTED EATING THE FOOD if they had double-dipped, and then reporting to us that they had not and she started to walk away.
I had to get up because she had already headed toward the back, and I told her that although I was sure the other customers were telling the truth and were clean people, I would appreciate it if she could please put in another order. She grumbled and headed back while my friend and I and the customers who'd received the food in error all talked about how we couldn't believe what had just transpired, as it surely violates some health code.
When the "new" food arrived, I noticed some dark stuff on the sauce but assumed it must be either a little burn from heating the cheese so I just used my fork and picked it out. After we had both eaten a few fries, we both said that it was obvious they had just added a little more cheese to the old cheese as there was a layer of "skin" about an inch and a half down, where the other cheese had started cooling. As if this was not gross enough, we started finding what appeared to be chewed up hamburger or throughout the top portion. We immediately stopped eating and when the waitress brought out meals, neither of us touched them. When we showed her the cheese, she said it was probably just that some hamburger had fallen in (A) health code violation, B) contamination, C) ewwww!!!). We paid our check and left, both too stunned to have complained and insisted we not be charged or even take photos to prove it.
I was terribly sick not long after, quite possibly from the hamburger as I have been a vegetarian for more than half my life.
I was so sad to lose what used to be a favorite spot but it steadily went downhill and I wouldn't trust ANYTHING they put out. Also, think of the nasty bathrooms, and realize that those are the same bathrooms your server and the cooks use. You truly could not pay me to go back at this point.