“Way Downhill”

Cuisines: Diner
Hudson, New York
“Way Downhill”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

When I was in college (late 90's), this diner was our go-to. Whenever I was in the area after college, I would make sure to stop by. I noticed a steady decline starting in the mid 00's, but the last time I went there will be the last time I ever go.

We ordered cheese fries to start, asking for the cheese sauce on the side (so the fries don't get all soggy). We waited easily 20 minutes although there were only 2 other tables with customers. Around the 20 minute point, we saw the people at a nearby table receive an order of cheese fries. A few minutes later, the waitress came by and we asked when our appetizer would be coming out, and she went over to the other table and then handed us the food, explaining that she'd mixed up the tables. She said it'd be another 10 minutes for a new order so it'd be best if we just ate this one, then asking the customers WHO HAD ALREADY STARTED EATING THE FOOD if they had double-dipped, and then reporting to us that they had not and she started to walk away.

I had to get up because she had already headed toward the back, and I told her that although I was sure the other customers were telling the truth and were clean people, I would appreciate it if she could please put in another order. She grumbled and headed back while my friend and I and the customers who'd received the food in error all talked about how we couldn't believe what had just transpired, as it surely violates some health code.

When the "new" food arrived, I noticed some dark stuff on the sauce but assumed it must be either a little burn from heating the cheese so I just used my fork and picked it out. After we had both eaten a few fries, we both said that it was obvious they had just added a little more cheese to the old cheese as there was a layer of "skin" about an inch and a half down, where the other cheese had started cooling. As if this was not gross enough, we started finding what appeared to be chewed up hamburger or throughout the top portion. We immediately stopped eating and when the waitress brought out meals, neither of us touched them. When we showed her the cheese, she said it was probably just that some hamburger had fallen in (A) health code violation, B) contamination, C) ewwww!!!). We paid our check and left, both too stunned to have complained and insisted we not be charged or even take photos to prove it.

I was terribly sick not long after, quite possibly from the hamburger as I have been a vegetarian for more than half my life.

I was so sad to lose what used to be a favorite spot but it steadily went downhill and I wouldn't trust ANYTHING they put out. Also, think of the nasty bathrooms, and realize that those are the same bathrooms your server and the cooks use. You truly could not pay me to go back at this point.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank jcl2012

Indianapolis, Indiana
“It's Alright.”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Not the greatest and not the worst. It would be alot better if the decided not to pass off frozen potatoes as homefries. I'll go back.

• Visited January 2012
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Good Food!”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Ate 2 meals - Supper had real mashed potatoes, yummy gravy, good portions. Breakfast -Eggs Benedict was subperb, Hungryman meal was fantastic. Service both times was excellent. Highly recommend!

Visited January 2012
Deep River, Connecticut
“A sweet little diner that we have stopped at once a year for 8 yrs straight!”
Reviewed December 19, 2010

After reading these other reviews I have to say-LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE! You are at a diner-not a 5 star resort! I have been in the food business for nearly 20 years! I have had nothing but delicious food, quick service and great prices......have you noticed its a small place?! and mostly one waitress to work the whole floor? and the waitress has been there for years and she works her tail off!!!! We were just there yesterday-travel from CT once a year on our trip to Yankee Village....NEVER DISAPPOINTED~ Thank you~!

Kathmandu, Nepal
“Where's the beef?!?!?!”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

My wife and I went there today at the recommendation of a local resident. The weather had cut short our annual trip to the BigE so we opted to go to the serene Magic Wings butterfly conservatory and grab some local cuisine.
Considering the size of the menu it seemed we were rushed a bit to place our order, but business was quiet when we arrived. My wife had the cheeseburger club with fries, and it seemed to satisfy her craving for a burger. I had the Philly steak sandwich and my immediate reaction upon seeing it was "what happened?". There was literally only 2-3 ounces of shaved beef on the 10" sub roll. Being a career chef I'm guessing that the cook dropped half of my meat on the floor and just decided to push the order out hoping that I wouldn't notice the ridiculous looking sandwich which I had been so looking forward to devouring. I paid 7+dollars for some decent fries and a silly looking sandwich.
We were never asked how our meal was, and we overheard another waitress struggling to take a simple order. I DID hear a neighboring table raving about past experiences here, but I was challenged to see what the big deal is about.
I won't be back.