“Tapas style menu”

Dining options: Reservations
Boston
“Tapas style menu”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Passport offers food from around the world in several different portion sizes; in order of increasing size they offer 10 teasers, 10 tasters, 10 smalls, and 7 shares. There were 2 specials, and 5 desserts to choose from as well. The menu is printed on the placemat and is handy to look at as you decide on another course; however, it would be helpful to have some descriptions as many of the items were unfamiliar. The server Dan was very helpful, friendly, and attentive though as we asked about most of the items. There is nice attention to detail in the presentation and the food is very good; highlights for the two of us were the Jamaican pork tostada, the tuna in the surf and turf tartare, and the German chocolate cake.

• Visited June 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“So many choices...”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went here to celebrate a birthday and there were 8 of us and they didn't have a phone yet so we couldnt make a reservation which was okay because of the 8 4 were late! So we had a few drinks in the bar area while we waited for all to be in attendance. The choices of beer were extensive and the wine list was long so we all had something different and everyone was happy with the choice they made. I especially liked the fact that they had locally made liquors. When we were seated the waitress brought us paper placemats that had the menu on it, which I thought was very clever no cooties from the last person who handled a menu! There were a lot of choices and indicative of world travel they had small plates of food from many far flung locations. We tried just about everything and they just kept bringing it. My favorite was the pulled pork tostada. The presentation of each plate was very nice and everyone agreed that the food was delicious. We all had our favorites and agreed that we would definitely be going there again. The staff was very attentive and the owner even pitched in to clear the table and bring us plates they all were very informed when it came to questions about what was what on the menu. The complimentary dessert for the birthday girl was a brownie with a scoop of the best maple walnut ice cream I've ever tasted! Very nice touch!

weymouth
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Weymouth Landing needs new life and this is . . . not it. After waiting for months and months for Passport to finally open, I went last week.

First I have to say that the decor is wonderful. Understated and classy, comfortable. The bar is the same size as when this was Blue Point and will seat perhaps 12 people (I've seen some that say it seats 24, but they must also have counted the bar tables at the windows which are NOT bar seats.

24 beers on tap and the first wine tap on the south shore, wonderful!! However, the first 3-4 beers that my friend ordered were unavailable - odd for such a new place. I drink vodka and although they do not have my standard Kettle One, they did offer me alternatives that were fine. Alternative(S) is key since the bar keep (very friendly) seemed to be actively pushing patrons to try different drinks so I felt pressured to change vodkas after my first drink.

The tapas style menu could be a great idea - we do need something like this on the south shore, but the food itself is very overpriced for what you get.

I started with the scallops and bacon, and like someone else's review indicated, I was very disappointed to find a mere 2 scallops for the $12. Mind you, they were delicious and perfectly cooked/seasoned, but there were only 2.

Then I ordered one of the salad's. I asked before I ordered what was in the salad and was told that it was greens . . . "and asparagus and cucumber and things like that". . . but when it came it was a small dinner plate with primarily just greens and some kind of nuts (maybe peanuts? looked like it but I don't eat nuts). Good thing I am not allergic because I was not told there were nuts in the salad. Didn't see or taste any asparagus... I actually don't remember, but I know the salad cost more than $15.

In order to survive, I beleive that Passport will need to quickly revise their menu to include more robust servings for the same (or lower?) prices and more variety. Friends that have varying taste may avoid Passport because of the lack of more standard fare.

Unless I hear that a menu change has been made, I will not be back. Make some changes and I will be glad to revisit and do a new review!

8 Thank ecnadnuba
Massachusetts, United States
“Finally amazing food for the south shore!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Let me say as a warning, if you are used to and like all the greasy cheap super fried food that is most of the local restaurants around the south shore you will be disappointed. However, if you are a foodie like myself you will love this place! The tapas style menu is wonderful and vastly different, the seafood ceviche is delicious, the tuna with the fennel and orange salad is delightfully light, and the fois gras literally melts in your mouth. This restaurant also serves wine on tap which is a nice different pace to the other local restaurants. I personally loved the small plate sizes, my friends and I ordered so many different plates and each took a few bites or spoonfulls each and honestly spent far less than we would have spent at any other restaurant. For desserts this place really knocks it ouf of the park, you HAVE to try the deconstructed smore's, the chocolate portion is a chocolate monkey bread that is ooey and gooey, served with crushed graham crackers and a graham cracker ice cream that is out of this world and all made onsite. Go into trying this restaurant with a reminder that this is a tapas style so the plates will be small, also go in with an open mind because the styles of cooking are not going to be just "all american", make sure to also try the mac & cheese (but only if you love both cheese and bacon because both are the stars of this dish)

5 Thank koneill11983
Boston, Massachusetts
“Different for Weymouth”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I tried out this new restaurant tonight on a recommendation from a friend. It's all tapas. We were very confused on what to get but the waitress assured us that if we were still hungry we could order more food and it wouldn't take long. We started with the fish tacos, pork tostada, and spring rolls. I was not a fan of the fish tacos, but my husband liked them. I liked the spring rolls while he was not a fan of those. We both thought the pork was excellent. After that we were still hungry so we got the filet mignon with asparagus and mashed potatoes. That was very tasty and we brought home the bone for our dog! Then we got dessert, the deconstructed cannoli. It was good, but not at all like a cannoli. There were cinnamon type pita chips to dip in a cream cheese type of sauce. He had a manhattan and the bill was $65. It was a little pricey for what it was, but we were both satisfied at the end. We would go back.

2 Thank beagle33