“Walk the Beach in Winter” 4 of 5 bubbles

Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Boston, Massachusetts
228 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 598 helpful votes
“Walk the Beach in Winter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Fabulous views, solitude, try it in winter when the crowds are gone but the scenery is magnificent.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank EagleEyeBoston

St Louis, MO
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Great Beach but sometimes could be rocky”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I really like this beach and have been there several times. This past time I went it was high tide and there were many rocks once you went into the water. If you could get past the rocks, you were OK. The waves were pretty strong that day so it was not fun trying to get past those rocks. At low tide, this problem would probably not exist and you could easily just walk over them.

Overall though a huge beach with great facilities and very attractive. I would always recommend it.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Love2Explr
RI
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great waves and tremendous facilities!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

If you have not been to this beach lately, you have to try it. It is so improved from just a few years ago. The waves are special and the three new bath houses are state of the art. Go early or late, it is just a special place for the whole family.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank needtogetaway7
boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great beach, affordable parking.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

I went here over the 4th of July weekend. Can't beat parking for only $7! The beach was pretty nice, very rocky at shore, but once you get in the water rocks are gone, a bit of seaweed as well. I didn't eat there, but they did have a decent look foodstand and plenty of bathrooms. good option for a low-key beach day that doesn't charge $20+ to park.

3 Thank ecp88
Hartford, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“It's Hard to Believe This is a Public Beach!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

What a great beach!!
For a mere $7 per car entrance fee, we found ample parking, bathrooms, SHOWERS, changing rooms, and snack bars. Oh, and did I mention a beautiful sandy beach with great waves??!
My young daughter and I planned a short day trip to the beach and, to avoid the traffic to the beaches on Cape Cod, ended up going to Horseneck State Beach. We arrived around 10:00 a.m. and a line to get into the parking lot was just starting to form. I asked if there were bath houses, and was directed by a friendly parking attendant to a parking lot adjacent to a bath house. (I think I also spotted another bath house, if we'd chosen a different parking lot.) The parking lot had plenty of parking places and, even from the farthest point, was not too far from the entrance to the beach.
The (ladies') bathroom was very clean and had about 10 stalls. In a different area, that was right next to the bathrooms, were 2 shower towers, each with 4 high and low (for feet) shower heads and 4 changing rooms. The showers had great water pressure with water that was cool, but not frigid. The changing rooms were no frills, but adequate.
After a short walk, we arrived at the beach. The beach was covered in a nice, soft sand. There were plenty of rocks, especially on the shore, but once we got into the water there were fewer rocks than I've encountered at many other New England beaches. The waves came in regular intervals and were fun for body surfing. I felt completely comfortable allowing my daughter to play in the waves by herself, but stood close by just in case one was a little to much for her to handle.
There were life guards situated at regular intervals along the beach.
Although there was a snack bar, we didn't visit it so I'm unable to comment on that feature.
My daughter and I left around 1:00 p.m. and the beach was beginning to fill up quite a bit. As we were leaving, we encountered a very long line of cars waiting to get into the parking area. So, I guess the key to fully enjoying this beach is to arrive early.
I definitely plan to return to this gem of a public beach!

8 Thank 04sox