“Very Good, Indeed”

Dining options: Reservations
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
“Very Good, Indeed”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family chose this restaurant as they live in Westport. The restaurant was nice and clean. Lots of windows. The fish and chips I had was outstanding. Two huge pieces of fish and the chips, thinly slice potatoes. The food was piping hot. My son had chicken mozambique. He enjoyed it. Just about everyone at our table had enough to bring home for tomorrow. The servings were huge. My sister had baked fish which they served with rice, potato and a vegetable. We ordered two pieces of cake on the dessert menu to share. It was delicious. The prices were pretty reasonable for the amount of food you received. The service was good. Great restaurant. We'll be back.

• Visited July 2013

Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Very good overall”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had a nice late dinner here on a Saturday evening. We arrived at 8:30pm where we found only three other tables to be occupied. We were seated immediately and had attentive service from the start. The waiter took our drink order then brought over a large bread basket and a plate of Portuguese-style olives. For an appetizer, we ordered the little necks Espanola style which was very good. The clams were not overcooked and served in a tasty tomato broth with onions and chorico. There was plenty of Portuguese bread and crisps to dip into the broth....oooh so good! For main meals, we ordered the shrimp Mozambique, the Portuguese pork roast and the baked stuffed shrimp. All were quite delicious, moist and tasty. I was worried about the baked stuffed shrimp since it really is not a traditional Portuguese dish however, the chef did a wonderful job and the seafood stuffing was simply perfect. All of the meals were served with a good portion of mixed vegetables, rice and round potato fries. The restaurant itself in not super fancy but nice and very clean. There is a lounge associated with the restaurant to the right of the building. The entrance to the restaurant is on the left. We found the prices to be quite fair for what you get. All in all, this was a very good restaurant with very good Portuguese food.

• Visited June 2013
Utah
“A solid dining experience.”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We sort of got stuck in Westport looking for a place to dine, and based on the reviews decided to try this place. We have had Portuguese before, and this was certainly a much better experience.

The place was clean and the service attentive. The menu offered variety. We ordered a clam appetizer and found the clams to be very good for the most part, although there were several chewy clams. The broth was also flavorful, perfect for soaking up with bread.

For dinner I had a steak topped with eggs and ham. The steak was cooked perfect, but was still just a mediocre piece of meat. The sauce with it was delicious and went well with the rice. The veggies were well cooked but the fries/chips certainly needed a few more minutes of cook time. Of course you get so much food if you can't find something to fill you up you were just not trying.

The wine list was varied and reasonably priced if you want to add a bottle to your meal.

There did not seem to be many recent reviews for this place, so i figured I would provide an update for others who end up in Westport.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Master_Tennison
Acushnet, Massachusetts
“Excellent Food, Outstanding Service!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

You feel like you are in a cafe in Europe when you dine at Portas da Cidade. The service at this restaurant is top notch ! The attention to detail in the quality and presentation of the food and the careful attention paid to each diner is what sets this Portuguese restaurant apart from the others.
With the soft Portuguese music in the background, pristinely laundered cloth napkins and tablecloths and smartly dressed waiters one would expect that the meals would be pricey. Not so! Fairly priced for the outstanding quality of the food, if this restaurant were closer to where we live we would eat there once a week! On this particular day we stopped in for lunch after business in Fall River. I knew before I arrived that I would order the Carne de Espito, the Madeiran beef on a skewer. Fork tender and deliciously seasoned it was served with boiled potato and portuguese rice. as per my request. My husband ordered the Portuguese steak served with an exquisite spicey sauce and a perfectly cooked fried egg atop. Round Portuguese fries, similar to a soft potato chip, and rice accompanied.
Plates were cleared quickly and the table freshened between courses.
Though I rarely order a full dessert for myself, I opted to have the flan while my husband enjoyed the Portuguese bean pudding served with caramel sauce. Both were delicious. Two generous lunch portions, a soup starter for my husband, 2 desserts and coffee for just over $30.00.
Located on Rte 6 in Westport amongst car dealerships and other businesses, this restaurant is a hidden gem!
If you want a lovely lunch or dinner of fine food and service you must go to Portas da Cidade, it never disappoints!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank FQRB
massachusetts
“Good, Quality Food each and every Time!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We visit Portas DA Cidade Restaurant at least once every three months. The food quality, and service never varies. The food is always "cooked to perfection," and the owner is always on site for your opinion on the food and service. This keeps his staff on alert customers are looking for first class dining with first class service, which is never compromised due to the customers at the restaurant or the day of the week. This restaurant consistently delivers first class food with customer service! The food is great, please give them a try! You will not be disappointed.

• Visited February 2013