“Nice Restaurant with Good Food”
Review of Back Eddy

Back Eddy
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Back Eddy has a very nice location right on the water. Service was efficient and friendly and we enjoyed both meals we had there. I would not rate this as a particularly outstanding restaurant but all in all the food was good and the views from the restaurant were very nice.

There are newer reviews for Back Eddy

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Been here several times and am always impressed with the view. Staff is nice and attentive. Food is tasty and fresh. The only problem it really has is the noise. When it's crowded the noise is deafening. Eating outside helps, also away from the bar is a little quieter, but if you are interested in a conversation with your meal, or are sensitive to noise be warned. The last time I was there it was so loud my ears felt like I'd just been to a rock concert.
It's one of the few places in the area with a great view so if you are the area you should go, just be prepared for a loud night.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was my first visit and although I may visit again, I would only do so if in the area already vs making it a special trip out there. There are SO many great spots to eat by the water and this one was just not up there with some of the others for me. However I can see why some do love it, especially if you come by boat, are dining inside, or the outdoor bar is open and its more of a night for a few drinks. The outdoor dining experience for me, as a whole was lacking.

I LOVE that they focus on using local produce and seafood. Also great that they have a simple menu that they focus on doing well.

Anything by the water immediately makes the dining experience better for me, but their outdoor area could be SO much better. It is awesome that there are little tables dotted all along the docks that you can sit at while waiting to eat or to have just a few drinks but it all looked kind of drab to me.
I guess I saw the potential to make it so much prettier out there and more on par with the inside. Even the out door tables were white, discolored. Flowers on the tables, some type of soft lighting would go a long way if new tables are not an option.

One meal was good, but average. Nothing stood out. As for the other meal, I do not mind paying $20 for a pulled pork plate but the corn bread was dry and a large portion of the pork was actually a huge hunk of fat. Sure we could have sent it back, but I honestly expect the person plating the meal to see that and not send it out.

So that is why I rated this as average. It was not terrible at all, but for a "hot spot" on the water I had hoped for more.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

A sharp right before you enter the roadway to approach Horseneck Beach in Westport, Massachusetts, the Back Eddy Restaurant is a seasonal restaurant that offers some of the best locally sourced foods in the state.

The Back Eddy is not just a summer shack, you can make it an experience. You park your boat next to the Back Eddy's dock and walk up the outdoor patio to have a few bottles of suds, or your favorite cocktail. Enjoy the loud generic Margaritaville type music as you watch Newportian dressed bluebloods mingle amongst the otherworldly visitors. A tip: if you want to blend in, wear a collared polo shirt with some khaki shorts, (I am not talking about those cargo shorts, those are more if you are in Boston in the winter).

The bar is cozy and a good place to have a meal, the table service is friendly and upscale, in my opinion. Either way, the food makes you feel good in a variety of ways. Westport is a right-to-farm community, which allows it the variety of some choice locally sourced foods. Everything from the surf to the turf, along with your carbs and vegetables, are brought to the restaurant from as close as possible. The ingredients' origin points are all listed, and the menu changes as ingredients become available.

Be warned, most substitutions will not be honored because of this locally sourced ingredient reason. But the restaurant does have a small variety of gluten free options.

My advice is if you are on your way back from Horseneck Beach, and have some money to spend, please check this place out. A couple of drinks for two and two entrees can set you back more than a burger and a beer, but if you are having food during the sunset, the view will more than pay you back on a sunny day.

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

1  Thank Timothy K
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I've been here multiple times since they opened. Some things don't change. The views are wonderful. The noise level is unpleasant. On the up side, service is more attentive and warmer than ever. Unfortunately what they are bringing out to the table has gone down hill and frankly not worth the price. The fish dishes were poorly executed, not tasty and small portions to boot. They used to have a vegetarian entree of local produce. It is long gone. The Vegetarian plate they made up instead was mediocre and they charged for substituting out the chicken. Sadly, the food is heading towards chain restaurant ordinary.

1  Thank Donald S

Been to Back Eddy? Share your experiences!