“Don't bother.”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Westport does't have a lot of choices for food but the Bayside was awful unless of course you want overly fried fish. I ordered a Rueben sandwich. There was ONE very thin slice of meat on the sandwich and very bitter cole slaw - all for $11, They charged $7 for an order of soogy sweet potatos fries.
The view is great but the food is truly bad. I have not idea why people seem to think this is a good restaurant.

1  Thank Shelley H

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was looking forward to enjoying a nice lunch after reading the reviews. Unfortunately, the food was a disappointment. The food was very average. We both ordered the fish, and my husband said his fish did not have any seasoning on it and the hand cut fries were bland, although, they were crisp.
I ordered the fish sandwich, and instead of fried I opted for baked fish and I ordered the eggplant fries. the sandwich was so soggy I had to use a fork and knife. The fries were crispy on the outside with a smooth inside but here again they had no seasoning on them and were bland. I noticed other customers adding salt, pepper, lemon, etc. to try and bring out the flavor.
The service was helpful and attentive, but did not bring enough water around, even though it was midweek and not very many people there.

1  Thank lammie_11
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I love everything about this place, from the stiff cocktails to the furry patio umbrellas. But especially the lobster roll! A huge pile of big chunks of sweet, unadorned lobster (they bring your choice of mayo or butter on the side). The eggplant fries pretty much kick butt too, as do the pies. I can't wait to go again. A little Horseneck Beach, a little trip to the Bayside -- what a great day trip.

1  Thank Kate H
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went here for lunch for a birthday and had a great time - helped by gorgeous weather and the great setting, of course. Service was prompt, friendly and attentive, food plentiful and delicious. We loved it!

2  Thank Susie W
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went to Bayside as a party of 8 for a family lunch - 1pm on a Monday (which we thought would be less crowded than other days). We waited 30 min for a table which was fine - as we wanted to eat outside on the deck (it's lovely - great views across the fields to the water).

Unfortunately it took 1 hour 20 minutes before we were served our food.They ignored our request to bring out our food as it was made, so our salad and chowder didn't even arrive until after an hour and after we harassed them a couple of times. We've had this experience multiple times lately and the staff never apologize (I feel sorry for them because they are obviously stressed by the kitchen's inability to keep up with demand).

Most of the time the food is good but can be hit or miss. I love their lobster roll, and fish and chips, and in general their breakfasts are fantastic (the fancy sandwich is my favorite) but again - the wait and service can make it feel not worth it in the end.

It's such a shame as they have a lovely spot, support local farmers, and are a 'green' restaurant. We've been going here as a family since it was opened (as a hamburger joint) and I live overseas now. I always looked forward to going back, but will sadly avoid it in the future as we always seem to wait so long for our food and get poor service.

My advice is to only go on off-peak times and with small parties, or be prepared to sit and spend lots of time drinking and hanging out beforehand (and maybe pack a snack).

3  Thank londonles