“Disgusting work habits in the kitchen!”

Ten Cousins Brick Oven
Ranked #8 of 33 Restaurants in Westport
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Ten Cousins Brick Oven features an Italian made, wood-fired oven that cooks delicious gourmet pizza, sandwiches, wings and more. We take pride in using locally sourced ingredients when available. Ten Cousins offers take out and patio dining in addition to the main dining room. Cousins is the perfect spot if you are looking for a casual, relaxed dining experience!
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I went to Ten Cousins with my husband last Sunday afternoon (8/25/13). I ordered a meatball brickini. We sat at a table in front of the bar/kitchen area. There were not many people in the restaurant at the time. I happened to observe the cook taking my bread from the oven, holding it with his "not-so-clean" t-shirt, and slicing it. Not sure if that's a common policy of theirs - quite disgusting! I couldn't eat the bread portion of the brickini, not only because of what I had just seen, but because it was also burnt on the top.

I also watched another cook stick his bare hand into a large jar of peppers (not once, but 3 times!) as he filled a metal container at the prep station.

Both of these cooks should have been wearing gloves!!! They were lucky that we were sitting there and not the Board of Health.

Shame on me for not sending my food back and leaving, but I didn't want to create a scene. After we left the restaurant, I couldn't stop thinking about what had just happened, and I was absolutely furious! The next day I wrote a comment on the Ten Cousins website - that was Monday, and it has been 5 days and not even a response. I wanted to give them a chance to at least say that this was unaceptable and they would correct this situation. I guess they just don't care. After reading many comments on Yelp, I realize that other folks think the same way as I do - they need adults to supervise the kids that are chatting at the bar and kitchen area. We had eaten at Ten Cousins at least 3 or 4 times this summer - we have no plans to return.

3  Thank Jeanne M

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We ate on the patio with our party of 7, and I would return. The pizza was delicious; thin crust and inventive toppings. The downside was our server, who was not only inattentive but seemed actually disinterested in serving us. Hoping that she just had a really bad day and service will be better, or we'll have a better server, next time.

1  Thank littleismuch5
Merideth M, Marketing Manager at Ten Cousins Brick Oven, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for Ten Cousins. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your meal with us and have let management know that the service you received did not meet your expectations, or ours. We strive to exceed our guest's expectations during every visit and hope we have the opportunity to make it up to you in the future. Thanks again!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Pizza! And fun with the kids; reasonably priced. Not too noisy; great selection on the 'za....but don't veer too far from that.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a nice looking and fairly new place in what used to be a popular family-run place. The pizza is a bit pricey, but gourmet, thin crust pizza is very welcome in this area. The other two items I have tried in a seperate visit were just not good enough to warrant trying again: cobb salad and baked chicken wings.
When a salad (a bit on the small size for the price) is described as "chopped," then CHOP it. In an effort to be innovative with a dependable stand-by, too many restaurants (like this one) give you something that is not worth the effort. The special wings recipe made the wings soggy and gave them a weird taste, this despite the fact that I prefer baked to deep fried. Stick with the old fashion style Buffalo wings which they also serve.
In order to get food out promptly, and they do, the waitresses stand between the bar and the kitchen. The problem is that the tables go unattended longer than they should.
The manager seems knowledgeable, but when a take-out patron argued with her before leaving, she blasted him in front of other customers, namely me!
So, this is a place with great potential that needs work.

Thank you for sharing your experience at Ten Cousins. While I am happy to hear you enjoy the pizza, some of your other observations are unacceptable and have been addressed accordingly. We value guest feedback as a way to continue to improve our food and service and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We weren't very happy with the pizza, which was tiny and not very flavorful. There was no interesting beer, more of a Coors and Bud kind of place, but Frenchy's stuffed clams were spicy and good. We'll have to try this place again, while avoiding the pizza.

Merideth M, Marketing Manager at Ten Cousins Brick Oven, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Ten Cousins. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with our pizza selection. At this time we only offer the 12 inch pie. We offer a few local beer selections, along with the seasonal Shipyard and Blue Moon on draft. I will certainly bring your comments to management's attention, thanks again for your review!