“Shockingly bad”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westhampton
Northampton/Springfield KOA
“Shockingly bad”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We didn't end up staying since they would not accept one of our dogs rabies vaccine info as we rescued her two months ago and she was vaccinated by a different vet (why that mattered since we did have the info is beyond me) the staff was unbelievably rude about the whole thing. They actually shooed us out and stood yelling "good riddance! Go on now!" and waving smugly at us as we left. Apparently they thought it was rude that we questioned their policy after we brought all of the paperwork they asked for. I have never seen anything like it in my life.

• Stayed June 2012
8 Thank J51977
northamptonkoa, Owner at Northampton/Springfield KOA, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
We do not feel asking for proof your dog has current rabies shots is asking too much. This customer could not even produce tags for the dog and would not contact vet for verification. I think you would feel safer in campgrounds that require this as you will know EVERY dog in the campground has proper shots. We have many children in the campground as well as our own kids and their safety is of our utmost concern. When travelling with pets please carry proof of shots.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Round Rock, TX
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The only reason this campground gets a 1 is because they have a nice property, albeit rundown a bit.
I stayed there, or was supposed to stay there from August 25 through Sept. 29 (34 days). To this day, since I never received a receipt I don’t know how they initially charged me, but it was based on their “monthly” rate which is stay 3 weeks, get the 4th week free. It came out to $31/day for full hookups. Although in the end, I ended up being charged $34/day.
My first problem started when Hurricane Irene came through central MA. The owners told us that they would be closing the campground and that we should leave (this was on Friday), and it should probably be okay to come back on Monday. Sorry, but I just figured if they were closing, we would get a refund for two days.
I returned on Sunday, as the weather was improving. I was greeted with chuckles of oh, we never did close. We are open, but electric is intermittent, good luck if you want to stay. So even though the owner, Sally, told everyone to leave, because they decided to technically “not close,” there would be no refund.
But I could even live with that.
I could even live with the insane amount of helpers/workers, whatever you want to call them that raced through the campground starting at 7 am and going well pas dark with their golf carts in their little yellow shirts. I am not kidding when I say that in daylight hours, 20 minutes could not go by without golf carts screaming by.
Two weeks into my stay, my daughter and significant other came to visit for a dinner cookout. Mind you, I was the ONLY person on this site. The owner knew me and my vehicle by that point. I drove in and my daughter followed. We went to my site and dutifully reported back and I paid their “guest” fee of $5/pp for the pleasure of them visiting my site for a couple hours for dinner.
The following weekend, they were to come visit again. This time they did have their little 10 lb. mixed breed dog. I should say that I knew I had to let them know about the dog. They followed me in again, and about ½ way to my site, their vehicle was corralled by golf carts. They were greeted with “that dog has got to go…NOW!” And, “You just crashed the gate. Get back to the office…NOW!” Then they came after me, and I was told basically the same thing…very rudely. I also tried to explain that I was just bringing them to my site and we were going back to register. Nope, they say…get back to the office now. You have to speak to the owner.
I went back, tried to explain, tried to reason with her that I will gladly pay the guest fees, and that they will be here a matter of hours. She says, Lady, the dog isn’t registered on a site, so it has to go. I say, well, how about if I just rent another site, and we can register the dog? Nope, she says, this is my property and I can do whatever I want. My daughter says, very calmly, look you don’t have to be rude about it. Sally, the owner says, I don’t even let my mother in here with her dog.
I tried to reason with her, and finally said, well maybe I should leave too. She said, fine…when do you want to leave? And started checking me out!! I said, look, I am very sorry. I want to apologize (even though I had no reason to…I just wanted to calm things down; she was ranting at this point). I said, let’s start with my canceling my cancellation, and we can work things out. She looked at me, and with an vicious smirk says, too late…goodbye. Now get off my property.
We left the office, and my daughter pulled her car out beyond the gate, and we were trying to figure out what to do, when she comes screeching out the door saying, that is still my property; get off it now. Of course, we dutifully complied. And I left within 2 hours.
I should add that while she was checking me out, she kept making snide comments, like, well, you have only been here 28 days, so you know that you now don’t qualify for the monthly rate; you will have to pay the daily rate. So I ended up leaving 7 days early, and my refund for those 7 days, having paid in full on the day of my arrival was $178. I have no idea how she calculated anything. I only know in the end my daily rate ended up at $34/day for staying there 28 days.
This woman/owner is totally over the top, and that’s the nicest way I can put it. While I was packing up, several seasonal owners remarked that I was not the first person to leave/be thrown out as a result of one of her tirades. Until they get new owners or put a muzzle on Sally, stay away from this place. If this is what KOA means by a cut above other campgrounds, I for one, will give KOA campgrounds a very wide berth!

Room Tip: You don't get to choose your site. Sally assigns you, and be assured, you will placed between a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
22 Thank Deblynn54

Travelers are raving about these Westhampton hotels

Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The campground was beautiful, well kept, spacious sites (wooded or open) and the bathrooms / showers were immaculate and the showers were hot and free! The people were friendly, helpful and quiet at quiet time! I got to be a judge at the Miss KOA contest and it was hysterical! There were planned activities all day for the kids, the playground was awesome and they have a really cool playground for your dog! This campground has it all and for way less than some less than desirable overpriced campgrounds in CT. We will go back - often.

Room Tip: There is a really nice apple orchard and farmers market right around the corner!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank swat444
South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This isn't a campground; it's a mobile home community. Just because every 10 feet there's a decrepit tree, doesn't mean it's "heavily wooded" and in the "wilderness" like the website tries to tell you. The place was dirty, small, cramped, and expensive. I don't see how or why anyone would WANT to spend time here.

We left within a half of hour of seeing the abomination. KOA wouldn't give me a refund, no matter how much I argued and complained, and we still left. That's how bad it was. Stay away. Please.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
13 Thank woodsmanswanson
As you can see this reviewer obviously posted two reviews on the same day and didny have the sense to at least change their hometown both South Deerfield Both SAME DAY. Again someone angry for being asked to follow rules. I love trip advisor and use it all the time but I have learned to only trust reviews for people who have posted both postive and negative reviews on the site Those who only posy ONE review and its negative probably are not telling the whole story
South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My friends and I were looking for a place to camp, and from the place's website it didn't look horrible. When we got there, we realized what a mistake it was. The place was a straight trailer park, absolutely no good campsites, no privacy, and only one other site was tent campers. We looked around and saw that basically all of the sites looked terrible and decided to leave. They would not give us a refund no matter how long we talked with them, but we decided to leave anyways, it was that bad. Please learn from our mistake and never come to this dump.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
12 Thank noats14
I honestly cant recall this customer but I can say like ALL KOA's we honor the 1 hour guarantee so if this person was being truthful they would have received a refund I suspect another customer coming with friends to party.
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Too many seasonal campers, who drive around on golf carts all day. Our tent site was between all of these rather permanent trailers where folks gathered to party. When we asked our neighbor to please be quiet at 10:45 pm, he mocked us. When we called the office to inquire of quiet times, they sent somebody over immediately. However, this then set off neighbor who then became verbally abusive and belligerent (obviously intoxicated). This is certainly not what I would expect to encounter at a KOA and not the type of person that I want my 4 y.o. exposed to! This campground doesn't even begin to compare to other KOAs where I've stayed. Very disappointed!

• Stayed July 2011
8 Thank tisch1017
This review is true However what they didnt mention or didnt know is that the Seasonal camper they are refering too was asked to leave the campground the very next morning. Our rules are for ALL campers whether you are there for one night or a season. I apologize for your bad experience
Hartford County CT
Reviewed June 12, 2011

This is a nice little campground! Clean pool, new playscape, restrooms recently renovated. They have daily fire truck rides around the park and other activities for kids. Nothing is too far away. Cute little pond with salamanders and frogs. The dog park is really great! Sites are spacious and almost all have hookups.
My only negative would be the number of seasonal campers that drive around on golf carts from dawn to dusk. Not sure why they feel the need to do this because the place isn't that big. The noise and dust from those carts is just not necessary. Luckily everyone parked their carts and settled down before quiet hours.
Overall a nice little family friendly campground with friendly staff and lots of nice folks to meet. And you can't beat the rates!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SWCTmom

Been to Northampton/Springfield KOA? Share your experiences!