“Charged Higher Prices than on Menu”

Bamboo Fine Asian Cuisine
Ranked #6 of 55 Restaurants in Westford
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2014

A friend and I dined at Bamboo for the first time a little over a week ago. We went there to participate in a fundraiser. We enjoyed that first experience, esp. the excellent service. However, I was extremely disappointed when I returned this past Saturday to order takeout. I chose to go back on Saturday at noon because they were having a Lion Dance to celebrate Chinese New Year. The show itself was fantastic, glorious really. I had never seen or heard anything like it.
However, when I went to order off the luncheon specials menu, it stated that the specials came with choice of hot and sour soup or miso soup. I was told that soup was no longer a choice and I had to pick between spring rolls or chicken wings. I ended up ordering soup as an add-on. When I looked at my receipt, I saw that I had been charged $1.00 more for teach of he two takeout specials I had ordered. When I pointed this out, the indifferent order taker pretty much shrugged her shoulders and said she would "tell them" about it. My expectation was that I would be charged the prices printed on the menu, esp. after I pointed it out.
When I got home and served the 2 meals, my friend liked her Sweet & Sour Chicken. I, on the other hand, had ordered Gen. Gao's Chicken, which was the worst I had ever had, and I have eaten at many Chinese restaurants from coast to coast. It was all batter and little chicken, and the batter was hard and stale. I had to throw it out. (The price of this special was nearly $10.) I really wanted to like this restaurant, but I will not be returning.
I'd like to know if it's legal to charge a higher price than what the menu states. I know grocery stores are not allowed to do this, if the item rings up at the cash register as more than what it is marked.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This must be the BEST Asian restaurant I have had in the US since I arrived from Asia six years ago. Their service is what you would expect from a high-quality Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan -- discreet plate change after appetizers, immediate attention if you need something but otherwise unobtrusive during meals, and always ready for a little fun if you asked for something out of the ordinary (e.g., our friend's little girl asked about the paper pink flamingo hanging off the straws of their cocktail drinks and the wait staff gave her a pink flamingo straw with a glass of water and a friendly chuckle). We had raw-fish sushi and the sushi was well-made; the seafood was exceptionally fresh. I will definitely want to try out their branches in the other parts of MA if I ever travel through those areas.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had a reservation , walked into scene from hell. New Year's Eve the place was packed, I mean wall to wall people waiting for tables , take out , even room to breathe. Finally taken to a a table at seven in a room with awful lighting and a tired buffet. We finally left pushing our way through the crowd . Went to the 99 to a peaceful meal with great service. This place was a fire hazard and would never recommend .

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Been there before several times and had takeout too, but New Years was a disaster. Ordered at 515pm, for 7pm pickup. Had to wait until 830pm for our order . When I got there , there must have been over 100 people waiting for pickup, you couldn't move . Eventually police arrived and asked people to wait outside because of safety emergency concerns. They had 15 people working behind the bar/takeout but no good if orders way exceed kitchen capacity.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Good buffet here. Clean restaurant. Nice selection at the buffet. A little pricey but worth it. You won't be disappointed.