“Amusing visit”

The Butterfly Place
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Westford
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed the visit. Beautiful butterflies, miniature painted quails and zebra finches! A butterfly even landed on my husband and stayed there for 5 minutes. The facility is small but nice. Bring a camera, but not little kids. The small children just wanted to touch and swat the butterflies (which would be tempting at that age), but this caused the employees to just about to have a breakdown. Lots of rules when there is no glass between you and the butterflies.

There are newer reviews for The Butterfly Place

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a lovely place to spend about an hour. The butterfly garden is very small and if you are not interested in taking pictures it can be seen in about 20 minutes. We stayed for about an hour trying to get some nice pictures. We arrived around 11 AM and it was crowded, but you could still walk around and photograph the butterflies fairly easy. Lots of children ...although we were traveling without kids, it was nice to watch their curiosity and their interactions with the butterflies (a great family place). The crowds come and go fairly quick as the place is small and not much to do.

There is a picnic area on the grounds. There is also a small exhibit explaining the life cycle of the butterfly.

All in all - it was ok as a sidetrip, but not really something you would consider a destination. The ticket price is a bit steep for what they have to offer, but they seem to run discount offers on daily deal sites frequently.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My grandchildren and I have visited The Butterfly Place many times over the years and it has been a wonderful experience. However, today, the room with the butterflies had very poor air quality. There was a strong odor from all the moisture and this room and some of the exhibits in the outer hall weren't as clean as in other years. We never visited this late in the season, and I feel that possibly the upkeep may be winding down along with the 2013 season which ends on October 31. It is a unique and educational attraction and hopefully the owners will keep it fresh and clean all season long.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Yesterday was my second visit to the Butterfly Place, the first time was with my 7 year old grandson and yesterday with my 2 and 4 year old grandchildren. While this is truly a lovely place, the music beautiful, it is definitely not a child friendly place. The first time a staff member followed us everywhere and although the place was mobbed she seemed to focus on us, telling my grandson don't put your arm out, don't step there, on and on. Not a very enjoyable experience. The second time we went (yesterday) the place was almost empty, only a few people there but again the staff seemed to focus on my grandchildren, following us everywhere, telling them not to step on dirt (that's where the birds are), not to touch the flowers (that's what the butterflies eat), absolutely no sanction is given for them to explore at all. We were there a total of 15 minutes. It's not fun being followed or reprimanded. It's crazy, because the gift shop is geared towards children but the Butterfly Place is definitely not geared towards children. I wouldn' t recommend this place to families, plus it's not cheap.

3  Thank NashuaNana2013
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My friend and I drove 200 miles round-trip from the Hartford area on Sunday, Sept 22, 2013 and arrived at 3:26 or 3:27 by our two watches, although the clock on the wall near the entrance read 3:31. The website reads:
Entrance ticket sales end one half hour prior to closing time.
We did not need to purchase tickets as we had our prepaid Groupon voucher in hand. We remonstrated with the two women guarding the fortress for over two minutes and walked back to our car, unlocked it, got in, and the GPS on the dash (which gives a true time) as well as both our cell phones showed the time as 3:31.
One woman (Donna Dupras), shades of the Nuremberg Trials, said she only followed the rules and did not make them. The other woman (Anna Rocheville) who was even ruder, stated that "they won't do anything" when I said I would complain to the board of trustees.
I have no desire to ever try to gain entrance to this rudely-managed place ever again, and am trying to have my money refunded by Groupon. These women seemed smugly and self-righteously pleased to refuse us entrance. Oh, by the way, we are two well-dressed, well-educated women in our late sixties who stated our objections clearly and politely.

3  Thank Carolyn B