“Always Wonderful”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Always Wonderful”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We dine here once every few weeks, and it is always delicious, and the service always great. They have wonderful (and affordable) lunch specials, and on Fridays, the best fish & chips i have ever had! Also, get the Roman Garlic Bread as an appetizer, but only if you're really hungry, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited May 2013

Easthampton, Massachusetts
“Birthday Party”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We attended a birthday dinner for my brother in-law on 3/24/13 with a party of 8 we had reservations which was good due to the amount of people in the restaurant. We sat and were greeted by our server who was on the ball and attentive, we ordered our drinks and placed our order shortly after. Our water glasses were filled by other servers helping there was great teamwork going on. Our salad plates were cleared as soon as we were done. I ordered the prime rib 16 oz for $12.95 good deal. My rib came out medium, when I ordered med rare. My niece got my med rare and I got her med, no big deal the meat was tender and the flavor was great, very little fat on the meat. My wife had the Rueben which looked good and she said it was.
When we finished all the servers came over and sang happy birthday to my brother in-law and delivered a massive slice of chocolate cake to him with a candle. It was a great experience and everyone was on the ball. I will go back since It was my first time there.

• Visited March 2013
Harwich, Massachusetts
“Family Friendly with Great Value”
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I've been to the Tavern a few times with my family when visiting my daughter at WSU and have always been happy. Food is very good and portions are generous. Great prices and nice variety to please all ages. Staff has always been friendly and attentive.

West Suffield, Connecticut, United States
“More like a 3.5”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've been here a few times now. Once was for lunch with several small children and 4 adults, once was a low-key dinner and drink outing with a girlfriend, and the latest time was a large gathering of about 15 people or so.

At the lunch outing I had baked scrod and it was excellent. The booth/cubicle-type area we were in was perfect for corralling the little ones, everyone enjoyed their food, and I left pretty impressed.

The second visit was on a friday evening and we sampled several of their specialty martinis (they were all pretty good and reasonably priced) and I had the tortellini parmigiana, which was just alright. It seemed much richer than I was expecting it to be, the bar was loud, the server was rarely seen and basically ignored us until it was time to collect the check. I left less impressed than previously.

This last visit was on another friday evening. The service was excellent and accomodating to the fact that we had people coming and going and everyone had separate checks. The food, however, was boring and bland. I ordered the chicken-pasta primavera special, and when it came it was basically a pound of pasta, 4 small chicken strips, and a smattering of vegetables. I ate all of the chicken, all of the veggies, and what felt like a huge amount of pasta and yet it looked as though the penne had barely been touched. My impression was that the chef found a bunch of boxes of Barilla penne in the back pantry and was like "Hmmm.....how can I get rid of all this pasta?" It wasn't bad, but it was grossly overpriced given the food that was actually plated and served to me. The bread was alright, the salad overdressed, the drinks were again very good.

The major disadvantage of The Tavern is space. If you have a large group of 6 or more, you will be overcrowded. We had reservations and expected the side room to be entirely ours, but we had a wall of tables amid four other tables of diners who were not with our party. We felt bad for disturbing them, but we were unable to get a more private dining area.

The bottom line - decent food, very good drinks at great prices, mostly good service, but it is NOT the place for large groups. Also know before you go that parking can sometimes be an issue, with only a small lot in the back and a select group of spaces on the street. I found that friday evening parking was easier to find in front on the street and more difficult in the back lot, but lunchtime parking was much more difficult overall and we had to wait for a spot to open up even though it was a mid-Sunday afternoon.

• Visited February 2013
West Springfield, Massachusetts
“C+ at Best”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I Don't think I ever came as close to pronouncing a failing grade as I did with this place!
JUST THE FACTS, Had dinner here 2/22/2013 with my lady.
this was a saturday night they were moderately busy, were were seated quickly but the customer service deteriorated from that point on. we were asked what we wanted to drink assuming alcohol seemed to be the inference and judging from the ammount of alcohol being consumed around us as well as a whole page on the menu dedicated to Martini's it became clear they derive a great portion of their revenue from alcohol sales. My Lady asked to order a " Long Island Iced tea" she was informed they did not make that drink here I ordered a coke and due to the fact that the water i was served seemed to be"City" water with an associated chlorine smell my lady decided to order a bottled water. this was served with a glass containing ice made from the same "City" water Kind of Defeats the purpose of bottled water.
APPETIZERS: I ordered shrimp cocktail sold by Shrimp count and specified 4, It arrived with 3 But the bill clearly showed 4. She ordered stuffed mushrooms, expecting to see 4 or so large mushroom caps what she got instead was 10 small buttom mushrooms. I ordered a NY Strip Steak and salad,I asked for french dressing on the salad was informd they don't carry that I settled for italian dressing, and I specifically asked for "NO TOMATO in the salad. when the salad arrived it had on rather large cherry style tomato in it. Good thing i'm not allergic to tomato! the salad itself was made primarily of iceberg lettuce which was of the inner white & yellow leaves, not appealing. I asked for a baked potato with butter and chives again only to be told they don't have chives. the crusty bread I hate to say was the best part of this meal that should tell you something right there. the bread arrived with numerous pats of butter which were stil cold and hard.when my meal arrived the baked potato had no butter on it my server informed me I culd use the butter provided for my bread. the baked potato was undercooked and hard.My lady had a veggie burger which she rated as "Fair" when we finished it took an unusually long time to get the check which is when my lady saw that i was charged for four shrimp when recieved only three rathen than exacorbate an already generally unsatisfying dining experience over a $2.50 overgharge I paid the bil and left. My Lady and I have agreed not to return to this place!

• Visited February 2013