“Clean, Comfortable Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Westfield
New Hampshire
“Clean, Comfortable Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

We spent one night in a suite on the first floor at this hotel. The hotel does not guarantee early check in, and when we arrived at noon (check in at 3), our room wasn't ready. However, the woman at the front desk told me to check back in about half an hour, and when I did, she gave me a room on the first floor. The room itself was large and clean. I thought the bedding was very comfortable. The room itself was showing some signs of wear and tear, but it was very clean. Even though we were on the first floor with a window to the parking lot, noise was at a minimum. The breakfast in the morning was simple but good. All of the housekeeping staff was very friendly and went out of their way to talk to my four year old daughter.

The only complaint I have about the hotel is the indoor pool. The water was very cloudy, you couldn't even see the bottom. I know sometimes this is an indication of a dirty pool, but since I could smell chlorine, I don't know what the cause was.

Other than the pool, this was a good hotel and we will definitely stay again when in the area. If you are planning on spending time in the room other than sleeping, definitely pay the extra money to upgrade to a suite, as you do get more room.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nathan B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking some time to provide us with your feedback. I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your room accommodations and that our staff had been so accommodating. I will be sure that our housekeeping staff recieves your kind words. We truly pride ourselves on providing a great guest experience. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to having you visit us again soon!

Nathan Byrd - GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
westslny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I would like to give this hotel 2.5 stars.My experience was not poor, but it was below average. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable though the sheets were a little threadbare. I stayed here 7/26 for one night. Check in was fine, not overly friendly but ok.
I arrived with lunch leftovers, some water, juice and a bottle of wine. No refrigerator. It was the 1st time in a long time I have stayed in a chain hotel with no fridge or microwave. I was told at the front desk that they only have them in the suites. As a solo traveler, I hardly needed a suite. With the buying clout of Holiday Inn, I'm sure they could get them for $30 each. I had to put my dinner leftovers in the breakfast room refrigerator which was a total drag, as I really wanted a snack at 11pm, but I just didn't feel like getting dressed, going downstairs...etc.
The TV selection was terrible. FOUR espn channels, cartoons and news, news, news. No Food channel, HGTV , Lifetime or Lifetime Movie Channel.WOMEN TRAVEL TOO!
The bathroom was okay; the lights were really really bright and you couldn't just have the sink lights or the overhead on, you had to have both. The shower head was designed for an NBA player---IT was way high up. I didn't care about that except that the stream was stuck on pulse and it was too high up for me to adjust. this was no big deal and I probably wouldn't have even made a note of it without the other problems.
When I wanted to go to bed I realized I had no " do not disturb" card which meant a trip to the desk and requesting one from a somewhat sullen clerk.
Breakfast was beyond terrible. There was no place to sit, seven or eight people were in line for the toaster and they blocked the juice machine. Perhaps they could move the toaster and add a 2nd one. I grabbed a Styrofoam bowl, a couple sausage patties a piece of stale wheat bread and a little container of peanut butter and headed back to my room.
I'm not much of a complainer; I wasn't expecting The Ritz-Carleton. Hotels have to something about the breakfast thing. Offer cereal and breakfast sandwiches in a warming tray ala McDonalds. Offer a communal table for solo travelers.
A few tweaks and this place would be really nice. I for one would rather have a better cable package and a fridge and skip the granite counter, marble threshold and two phones ten feet apart.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lily1949
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear lily1949,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations with our amenities and the services you received. Please be assured that these will be looked into so our team can take actions accordingly.

Thank you for staying with us and we all hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stayed here with my son and his team for a hockey tournament. We were greeted with very friendly and efficient service. The staff were ready to check in the whole team with keys and room numbers as soon as we arrived.

Our room was clean and modern. It backed on to the elevator, but we barely heard a sound. The kids loved the pool area. The complimentary breakfast offers a wide variety of items.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nathan B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with some feedback. I was absolutely delighted to hear that your family had enjoyed the room accommodations, staff services, and a nice swim in our indoor heated pool. We truly pride ourselves on providing a great guest experience. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have you visit us again whenever you're in the area!

Algarve
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Very good welcome from "junior" who gave us a room on the ground floor ,as we had lots of luggage.
We also appreciated his help in finding a good place to eat that evening.
We used the swimming pool, which was very good to relax after a long flight.
Breakfast good.
Easy to find this hotel from the through way ,but no road noise.
We would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nathan B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with some feedback. It was a pleasure to hear that you had enjoyed your accommodations, staff services, as well as starting the day off right with our Express Start Breakfast. I will be certain that our Guest Service Representative, Junior, receives your kind words. We truly pride ourselves on providing a great guest experience. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have you visit us again soon!

Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed for the night while passing through on our way back from Boston. It is a fairly new hotel, clean and comfortable. Junior at the front desk was helpful and friendly.
Westfield was a lovely, small town to visit also. We ate dinner at "Tavern" and breakfast at "Soups On" in town, supporting local business and drove around, admiring the lovely houses and tidy downtown before we hoped back on the I-90. A great place to stop and stay- the locals were incredibly nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nathan B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with some feedback. I was very pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your accommodations and that our guest service agent, Junior, had been so accommodating. I will be certain that he receives your kind words. We truly pride ourselves on providing a great guest experience. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have you visit us again whenever you're in the area!

Nathan Byrd-GM
Hudson, NH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We took in a show at Tanglewood last night, and wanted to avoid all of the pricey "3 night minimum" deals at the hotels, inns, and B&B's in the immediate area around Tanglewood. And we also decided to pick a spot on the way back home to NH.

The Holiday Inn Westfield fit the bill. The staff was pleasant and accommodating and the room was clean. The hot & cold breakfast buffet offered was just fine before the ride home.

The location is ideal, easy off and on to the MA Turnpike. Would choose this hotel again in the future.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Nathan B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking a few moments to provide us with some feedback. I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed the room accommodations, staff services, and starting your day off right with our Express Start Breakfast. We truly pride ourselves on providing a great guest experience. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have you visit us again soon!

Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I chose this hotel because it is the easiest location between I-90 and my parents house. I have stayed here before during the Snowpocalypse of October 2011 and that was an out of the ordinary experience. They had put us across from the emergency stairs and since the power lines eventually fell, we were up all night with people running up and down them. The worst part is the slamming of the doors. They either don't have door closers (the arm/hinge at the top of the door that has hydraulic dampers to regulate speed) or they do but they aren't adjusted correctly, because the force with which these doors close behind people - holy crap.

Anyway, I remembered that from last time and requested a quiet room. I was put NEXT to the stairs this time, but gave them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously circumstances were different this time and the elevator should filter out most people. At about 10PM it sounded like workers were using the stairs, and fyi they still slam. I only hope it wasn't the hotel maintenance workers because that would just show a complete lack of trade knowledge. I put ear plugs in and my boyfriend sleeps like a log so no true problem. Just a warning to others and if the hotel staff reads this, it's an easy fix to adjust them not to slam! If you don't have them, it'd be worth to take up with your owners.

The hotel itself if getting older but still perfectly acceptable. Room was average, clean. Check-in was nice. The guy was super friendly and joked with us too. I know the area and I would NOT stay at any of the other hotels in the direct area. So this is the place to stay if off I-90 is where you need to be!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back-right face a main drag for tractor trailers coming off I-90, so can get noisy with...