“Pulled through in the clutch”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Westfield
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My wife and I recently visited this HIE after an emegency visit with our son who was in the ER at the local hospital. After getting him settled back in his dorm at the local college, we went to the HIE at 4:00 a.m. so we could see our son again later in the morning.
Upon arrival, we found the front doors locked, which was an inconvenience, but I understand the need for security. I called on the cell phone and they greeted us at the door with a smile. We told the clerk our situation, ER visit, no luggage & too tired to drive home, and he offered us to stay till noon time instead of the regular 10:00 a.m. check out. He was efficient and understanding at 4 a.m. I got my government discount and headed for our room. We got to our room, which was basic, but very clean and comfortable.
Up and at 'em by 8:00 a.m., we headed for the continental breakfast which was the well-stocked usual stuff. It was a bit crowded and noisy so we headed to the Friendly's Restaurant across the parking lot. We checked out after breakfast with no problem.
I give the rating of three stars only because we didn't stay long enough to really get the full experience of the place. I do give kudos to the good clerk and clean, comfortable room though. HIE pulled through in the clutch.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 14, 2012

Unsure where I would end for the day, I had not made hotel reservations. I came upon the HIE Westfield located right off of the Mass Pike, excellent location, easy on, easy off the PIKE. I walked into the lobby, greeted by a smile and a "good evening". The front desk agent had an available room, checked me into the hotel quickly and I was off to my room. While checking me in, the desk agent explained the free breakfast, swimming pool and work out facilities.

My room was very clean and well appointed, decent size bathroom with ample towels and toiletries, beds were comfortable with nice bedding.

My only issue with the hotel is, lack of sound proofing. I could hear doors opening and closing and conversations of other guests could be heard.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor which worked out great for my stay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed at the local hotel simply from a break from my norm life with my 2 kids. Customer Service was great. The girls up front were very friendly. Since bringing my 2 toddlers along for a "pool" day. I realized there were NO microwaves, and no mini fridge in the room which was VERY Dissapointing considering a BRAND NEW hotel and the price you pay for only hours to stay really. I had to fill the sink in the bathroom with ice to put some of the kids snacks. When in the bathroom I noticed a PRIOR guest's rolled up pair of sox underneath the sink right next to the TOWELS... which discusted me because i thought WOW do they really NOT clean here??? I look into the shower and there were all these dark YELLOW stains up the shower wall. I kept asking myself IS THIS NOT A Brand NEW hotel?!?!?

We then decided to go down to the pool and "mommy" in the jacuzzi... upon entering the pool room, i immediatly asked IS THIS IT!?!? the pool Yes it's nice... yes it was warm... BUT it was TINY very small again for a BRAND NEW HOTEL and a BIG hotel from the outside... and to my dissapointment... there was NO JACUZZI. That's it... just a small heated pool.

And to finish my experience, before checking out i kept watching the clock in the room. Finally i get a call from a friend who was picking me up asking why i hadn't checked out yet. The clock's time was set wrong in the room. I was VERY upset after rushing down with the kids and all my bags... and finally told the girl in the front desk and she just laughed and said oh wow. But did not say i'll make sure we get that fixed or anything... just thought of it as a "FUNNY JOKE"... so my experience was VERY VERY EXTREMELY DIssapointing and i WILL NOT be recommending anyone there.. instead i'll refer elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Dear Wilmaris H,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27709881

Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times as I have family in the area. The hotel is very clean and the pool area is very nice and warm. I have never had a problem with the staff here and have been very happy with my stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JillA
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights over Christmas 2011 whilst visting friends in the area.
Very modern hotel and internal fittings however very thin walls. You can hear the people talk and snore in the room next door, that is talking not yelling.
Overall good value when include breakfast and free wi-fi and heated pool facilities.
Breakfast OK however fix the toaster and the baine marie.
Room had not been oiled in a long time, squeeked VERY loudly, toilet seat not affixed properly.
Housekeeping slack only 3 to 4 towels daily when 5 stayed in the room and 1 bed was not made one day. All the above info passed onto the hotel but when you prepay there is little you can do about the faults.
Overall service average.

Room Tip: Get a room with noone else around you
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The staff at this hotel is what makes it great, they are responsive, kind, and most of all fun. They made the whole experience enjoyable. It's always pleasant to go into a hotel and be welcomed, but to go into a hotel and automatically feel like family is a very unique experience. The hotel itself was very clean, the rooms spacious, and the breakfast hot and fresh. If you are looking for a fun atmosphere, where the staff joke and make you feel like family, a quite clean room, and a hot breakfast in the morning, then this is the place to stay!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Arrived to find that my confirmed reservation for two rooms (one king one double - upper floor - end room) was not shown that way and that only kings were available. The response was that nothing could be done but I could talk to the manager who would not be there for another two days and would I like his card? It was possible that the mistake was mine and not having any other choices for the moment I was forced to take an additional room. We were assigned three rooms directly across from elevator. We also noticed that the hotel was full of kids - after check in we immediately left for dinner and did not return until 8 PM.

Upon returning we found the place swarming with 8-10 year olds running amok - playing stick hockey in the corridors (complete with nets) - tag in the lobby - hanging out at the elevators -yelling in the rooms and otherwise doing what packs of ignored 8-10 year olds will do. The lounge was dense with parents watching a football game. While we were gone the hotel had put up notices at the elevators stating that alcohol was prohibited anywhere on the premises except the rooms -an indicator that problems had already started or were anticipated.

After thirty minutes in our rooms it was obvious that the overwhelming noise level would not abate. A call to the front yielded the usual "I'm sorry - we will look into it" - also they could not change our rooms because the hotel was full. Finally the noise of kids screaming in the room next door was so bad that we again called the desk and insisted that someone come to the room immediately and deal with it. The desk found someone from downstairs to unlock the door. Lo and behold, there were at least twelve (by count) kids in the room, many jumping up and down on the bed and others running around playing whatever it is they play.

The desk person from the hotel was standing about 15 feet away from the door and observing the scene - but definitely not intervening. A well meaning woman from the group was trying to work it out by finding an adult to be present in the room. She also stated that the hotel was at fault for not assigning us rooms on another floor - to which the distant desk person again responded with the "I'm sorry the hotel is full."

After thirty minutes the noise in the room toned down somewhat - but the high activity and noise levels in the corridors and some of the other rooms continued eventually returning to normal around 10:30 PM. Until then we had to keep on our TV in order to mask the exterior noise.

The next morning, around 7:30, it began again. We checked out - the desk clerk again giving us the scripted "I'm sorry - you can call the manager tomorrow."

A few hours late I called the Holiday Inn Corporate Customer Service and got the following responses:

1. From a call center operative: "I'm sorry, would you like to have the manager call you?" In response to asking if there was anything else she could do - after being on hold: " we can give you 2000 reward points (with a spiel how wonderful this is) and refund one of the three rooms." Clearly she was without authority to initiate a response.

2. I asked to speak to her supervisor. His tone implied a mistrust and he offered (in a take it or leave it tone) a refund for 1- -1/2 rooms. Now believing that caveat emptor was HI's corporate policy, I had enough, I took it and vowed to never use HI again except in a dire emergency. Priority rewards evidently means their priorities - not their customers (guests). The issue here is not the money but the attitude implying that the complaining customer is the problem - not the complaint itself.

FOOTNOTE: I travel over 50K miles a year and have many times seen hotels accommodate large numbers of kids engaging in sports programs. In nearly every case the hotels and the groups sponsors have cooperated to find ways to keep the kids happy and under reasonable control while respecting the rights of the other guests. In this case it seemed that many of the parents (I'm sure not all) were indifferent of others and that the Holiday Inn staff neither cared nor were empowered to deal with the behavior of overwhelmingly offensive guests.

Of course we have never heard from the manager. The Holiday Inn Website states "Whether you are on a business trip, family vacation or just looking for a place to relax, we have everything you want—and then some". Evidently they gave us only "then some."

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Trount
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#3 of 17 in West Springfield
Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield
Hampton Inn West Springfield
Hampton Inn West Springfield
#1 of 17 in West Springfield
Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield? Share your experiences!