“The scallops are Skate, not mollusks”

J P's Restaurant Pub Incorporated
Ranked #11 of 89 Restaurants in Westborough
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
“The scallops are Skate, not mollusks”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a local bar restaurant. I hate to tell you guys but those 1and 3/4 inch - + a thou diameter scallops are not scallops but are skate. Skate isn't bad food, in fact it's very tasty except the reason you get overflowing scallops is because skate is cheap. They stamp them out of the wing of the skate. Sorry. Misrepresented. If I was told it was skate I would consider having it again, but don't like to be fooled.

• Visited January 2013
5 Thank Mollusk858

Memphis, Tennessee
“Good local joint...not fancy...CASH ONLY”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I ate here two nights in a row on a recent trip to the area. First choice is the lobster roll! Second night was the pork chop. It was so good but I could not finish it all....that has never happened to me. Good beers on tap. The place is full of locals and everyone is nice. Do not be fooled by the shady exterior this is a hidden treasure. If you can get a seat at the bar this is a threat place to watch the game.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Scott B
Boylston, Massachusetts
“Food needs some updating”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is a restaurant popular with the locals. On a recent Friday night we went to JP's arriving at 5:45 to celebrate dad's 82nd birthday. Upon arrival we were told it was going to be a 45 minute wait and that was exactly how long it took to for the three of us to be seated. The restaurant is very small with severely limited space in which to wait. The bar was full with locals having dinner while watching sporting events on the televisions. We were forced to stand in the middle of the restaurant with wait staff cruising around us with dishes/drinks...feeling a bit in the way. They do serve popcorn which was freshly popped and we helped ourselves to a bowl. Once seated it took a little while before our waitress came to the table to offer a drink and once delivered took her another bit of time before returning for our food order. Salads were overly soaked in Italian dressing. Watching some of the food come out of the kitchen I now wish I'd gone for the fried scallops or clams vs the healthier version of the baked scallops. Quantity does not equal quality in all things. Don't get me wrong there was a plethora of scallops in the casserole dish however they were not very tasty and were very overcooked...dry and rubbery with what looked like dry breadcrumbs sprinkled on top. There were two of us who ordered this dish and both were equally overdone. The price was a great value but I'd have preferred 1/2 the scallops cooked perfectly. The third person in our party ordered Veal Parmesean and thought his meal rated a 3 on the scale however would have preferred ziti or short pasta and the only pasta choice was spaghetti. I've had the lobster roll in the past and while there was a lot of lobster in the roll it just wasn't very tasty. Fried seafood is your best option at this place and lunch would be a better option then waiting 45 minutes for a sub standard dinner. The wait staff is very busy but may benefit from adding additional staff during rush hours. This is a cash only restaurant so not credit/debit cards which is another downfall. They do, however, have an onsite ATM in the building.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Suzanne B
Hopkinton, MA
“Average At Best”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We really wanted to like this place. The people are friendly and their prices are reasonable. The problem is that, other than the lobster roll, the food just isn't as good as these reviews suggest. JP's is supposed to be known for their seafood, so my wife baked scallops and I had fried clams. Her scallops were dry and relatively tasteless and my fried clams were tough clam strips after being advertised as whole clams with bellies. We were disappointed. This is a good example of you get what you pay for.

In fairness, on a previous occasion I had the lobster roll and it was good.

2 Thank Hop-Hillers
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Don't miss the Baked Scallops”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We lived in Westborough until 1997 and J P's was our every Friday tradition for dinner. I ordered the baked Scallops and my wife the Lobster roll and the kids got burgers. We go back to the area once or twice a year and stopped by in early September, sans the kids since they are grown and moved out before we left for Florida. I am pleased to say that the Scallops and lobster rolls are still great.
We came by on a Friday about 5:30 PM and there was a wait for a table and the bar was packed. When you are seated after a short wait, (worth it), our server who has been around for 20 years or more brings by a bowl of fresh popped corn and takes our drink order. After a reasonable wait our food arrives. The baked Scallops are the large sea type and overflow the baking dish it is served in. The cracker crumb topping was still moist and the scallops were not overcooked. I choose the German fries as my side and they are "to die for". The small house salad that comes with the dinner is good. My wife's Lobster Roll was as she remembered it...plenty of lobster meat mixed with a little mayo and celery. She said it was still the best around. Her fries were average but she said she does not come for the fries.
It is great that a Westborough tradition still lives on and is more than a match for the larger or chain restaurants in the area. Worth a trip for the Scallops alone. Oh...by the way...it is a cash only establishment.

• Visited September 2012