“Pay a little extra and go elsewhere”
Review of Tidewater Inn

Tidewater Inn
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Reviewed September 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Tidewater over the weekend for a quick getaway. I wanted a room with a jacuzzi tub, but since it was only for a weekend, I tried to get the most reasonable rate. All I can say is "You get what you pay for" and I overpaid at the Tidewater!

First, let me say that the staff was very friendly and professional. We checked in at 6:00 PM on Friday night. We were given a room in the building closest to the road. Since the property is located right on Rt. 28, you can hear the road traffic. I inquired about moving, however, the jacuzzi rooms are all located in that building. They were very willing to move me to another room, but, I booked the room because of the jacuzzi. The room was clean, but a little shabby. The carpeting, curtains, bedding and furniture have all seen better days. The bathroom needs a complete renovation and the vanity area is too small since they have a microwave, coffee maker and ice bucket/tray on the counter. There was so much stuff on the tiny counter, I had no where to put my toiletries. The bed and pillows were hard - I woke up with a stiff neck and back both mornings. I didn't bother to complain because short of a complete renovation, there was nothing they would have been able to do. Putting all that aside, the room was adequate for 2 nights, and I had a Jacuzzi (which is what I really wanted when I booked the weekend). However........ every time someone in the building filled the jacuzzi (including us), it sounded like the pipes were going to come crashing through the walls. Since I didn't want to disturb others, I didn't use the tub nearly as much as I wanted to. Other guests were not so considerate. On Saturday night, the couple in the next room filled their tub several time between midnight and 3:00 AM! I didn't sleep the whole time we were there.

It did not seem that the room was "cleaned" by housekeeping. The bed was made and the room was "tidied up" but the bathroom floor was not swept, the carpet was not vacuumed and the vanity area was not washed (wiped, but not washed).

The indoor and outdoor pools are clean and well cared for.

The diner was clean and convenient. The food was hot and fresh and our waitress seated us promptly and was very friendly. I think I would have to say that the diner was the best thing about this property.

The Tidewater is your typical "Old Cape" motel (not an Inn). When we left on Sunday, we drove down Rt. 6A and found lots of pretty Inns and B&B's. While they are more expensive, they are much nicer and well worth the extra charge. Rt. 6A is very scenic (rolling lawns, stone walls, historic homes), where Rt. 28 is very busy with traffic and businesses.

If you are looking for a modern, comfortable, pretty place for a weekend getaway, look elsewhere. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RIweekender

Reviewed August 24, 2008

The Tidewater Inn in West Yarmouth is a well-run Inn in the central part of Cape Cod. Nothing but the highest praise for the very helpful front-desk staff and the breakfast room servers! Rooms are very nice and clean; the price is very reasonable. Any visitor should be able to notice that everyone here is trying hard to make your experience pleasant.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed August 21, 2008

We chose to spend 3 days on Cape Cod in between visits to New York and Boston but left it quite late to book and most hotels seemed to be full or too expensive.

On arrival at the Tidewater Inn, the man on the desk was very helpful and polite. Our room was nice, large and clean with a fridge which was handy. There was a large outdoor pool, and an indoor heated pool and spa pool. In the lobby there was a room filled with leaflets and information, and a PC with free internet access.

It is on one of the main roads, Route 28, where there are plenty of restaurants, shops, gas stations etc. There are some nice beaches quite close by but the best ones are a bit of a further drive.

There is a breakfast diner on the premises but I am hesistant to recommend it. Although the food was very nice and not too expensive, the service was poor. Although there seemed to be plenty of staff they did not seem able to cope and were very slow taking your order, bringing your bill etc. which is frustrating when you are raring to get out to the beach for the day!

On the whole, I would recommend a stay at the Tidewater Inn.

Reviewed August 18, 2008

Booked last minute and very helpful GM provided reasonable discounted room rate, despite the entire Mid-Cape being almost fully booked. Located a short walk from 2 mini-golfs and fine beaches, and 2 minute ride to Main St. in Hyannis, central location for shopping, restaurants, ferries, etc.
Took a 2 x Double room in back building. The front is "drive up to front-door" motel-style while the back building is more "drive up and enter key-access hallways" hotel style. Slightly musty smell upon entering, but not overpowering. Airing out & A/C all but alleviate it. Older decor, but facilities, A/C, beds, in-room fridge, balcony, all fine. Grounds, halls, indoor connection to pool, all clean and staff attentive to cleanliness.
On-site diner very convenient, 50's retro decor, clean, good food, reasonable prices, good service, a definite plus.
The best feature of this property is the informative, helpful assistance from the staff, especially Voula, the GM. As a first time visitor to the Cape, her insightful advice on times, ports of departure, tours, towns, eateries, sites, etc. etc. proved to be the clincher in making the weekend perfect. That alone was "worth the price of admission".

Reviewed August 17, 2008

Tidewater Inn was typical old- fashioned motel, which was what I was expecting. However, my room smelled so badly of mildew, I felt like I was suffocating all night long. The carpet needs to be tossed!! I couldn't have been more grossed out.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank RiBeachbumgirl
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Room had a stale smoke smell and urine smell.. awful!!!! The staff is friendly but the room was horrible.. Won't go back!

1  Thank Mizindependent78
Reviewed June 28, 2008

We recently stayed at theTidwater Inn and had a great experience. We were pleased with our accomodations. Our room was toward the back of the property and it was clean & nicely decorated. We enjoyed the pool and the on-site diner which was convenient for breakfast. The staff & front desk were friendly. We would return fo the Tidewater since it was a good value for Cape Cod.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
#10 of 20 in West Yarmouth
All Seasons Resort
All Seasons Resort
#10 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Tidewater Inn? Share your experiences!