“The worst hotel I have ever stayed at !!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Cape Point Hotel

Cape Point Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Northbridge, Massachusetts
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed at !!!”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

.... All I can say is - looks can be very deceiving!!! We had looked for lodging on-line for a place to stay to celebrate my Mom's 60th birthday and thought that this hotel would fit our needs as far as location and amenities go. It seemed to look decent after reviewing their website and sounded wonderful with their two pools, lounge and even Cabana bar but boy were we wrong. We have never been more upset and disappointed in our choice.

Upon entering the hotel you get the feeling that when the hotel was built it was something for it's day but now it is a run down pit. The lobby looks down into a fish pond that was dirty and there is an arcade downstairs that my kids were excited about but the mildew smell was overwheling so we couldn't stay in there long. There is an indoor pool off of the lobby too but did not seem clean and was very stuffy and uninviting - none of us wanted to use it after seeing it. We didn't want to use any of the amenities for that matter, especially the "restaurant" - who would want to trust food from an establishment that keeps their other areas in such disrepair !?!

When we entered our room we should have turned around and walked out. It immediately had a strong oder of disinfectant evidently to mask the overwelming mildew smell that the room reeked of. It was supposed to be a suite, it was large and that is the only good thing I can say, but it didn't matter because we didn't even want to stay in it. The room was dingy dirty and severely beat up. The rug was old and worn. Furninshings were very beat and dated. The wallpaper showed signs of water stains from the upper level and had holes punched in them in different places. It was peeling by the air conditioning unit with exposed black mold under it. We couldn't even run the AC in that room because it made the smell even worse. The ceiling was drop tile, the kind you see in finish basements, stained in places as well. We had a lovely parking lot view on the lower level unfortunately by a side enterance (a bucket of dead flowers to welcome you by the door) so you really needed to keep the drapes shut or everyone and anyone could see right in. Of course when we went to close the drapes they wouldn't work either and my poor 60+ year old Dad had to get on a chair and fix it (just what you want to do on vacation). My mom had holes in her sheets and I had holes in my blanket - that is classy! The bathroom looked like it had been attempted to be remodled at some point but by a "do it yourself-er" and the linoleum floor had a cigerette burn on it which matched the color of the dirty stained tub. The doors were totally beat up and de-laminating and of the cheapest qualitly: only two hinges! I am only bringing these things up to reiterate the substandard quality that this hotel possess .

And on and on I could go. We would have switched hotels right away but because it was a "suite" and I hate to use that term for this dump, they said they had a strict no cancellation policy and we would lose our money. They probably have that in place knowing full well about the condition of their hotel. For $259 a night they should be ashamed of ripping people off because that is what it is. I wouldn't pay $49 a night, in fact I wouldn't stay there again if they gave me free nights. As it was we stayed away until 10 o'clock both nights because it was that bad!!! Even my 7 year old son yelled "Not back here!!" when we pull into the hotel parking lot and those of us that know kids of that age will know how brutally honest they are.

We complained to the front desk during check out and they didn't seem to care at all. They didn't offer any refund of any kind - just an empty "we are sorry" and that was it.

Thankfully we left our 3rd night open to stay if we wanted to and after being so angry about our vacation we moved to the Red Jacket Resort for our final night. What a difference - for a little more money this place was a resort on the ocean - if we had only had known!

I frankly don't know how anyone is giving this hotel a good review, it shocks me. Please don't waste your money. There are a ton of lodging options: pick any other than this pit and hopefully you will have a decent stay! We would have been better of "tenting it" !!!

4 Thank 6NewEnglandTravelers
capepointcc, General Manager at Cape Point Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
First, I would like to apologize for the sheets and blankets. The maid grabbed linens from the pile we took out of inventory to donate to the animal shelters. This is not acceptable and that maid was suspended for three days. Next. My fishpond, I take great pride in our fish. I put them in 5 years ago and the have grown to the size they are now. Kids look so forward to seeing them. I don’t think they would survive this long if the pond was dirty. Actually the weekend maintenance man vacuums the fishpond every Saturday with a new portable vacuum that we purchased 6 months ago, so in fact the fishpond is cleaner than ever before. Our indoor pool has a double venting system, rare for pools on the Cape, and we have just converted it to a salt generated pool. Our furniture was completely replaced in 2004. All bathrooms were tiled by a professional company along with all 116 rooms have new granite vanities. Our regular guests have complimented us on our constant upgrades. I honestly feel that you were looking more for an ocean front hotel and were disappointed when you saw we weren’t. However a suite that sleeps 6 people on the ocean is considerably more than $259.00 a night, in the summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
New York
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My husband, 3 sons and extended family stayed at the Cape Point the third week in July and loved it. The hotel was clean, the room (we got a deluxe) was big and had doors leading to a garden area. We loved hanging out at the outdoor pool and ordering from the cabana. The breakfast cafe was also very nice, good food at reasonable prices. We were able to get discount parking passes to the beach and the hotel staff was always very nice to deal with. Overall we had a great week and will definitely be heading back at some point.

Naugatuck, Connecticut
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We spent 4 nights there this week (7/19-7/22/10) in a two room suite. A vacation with 3 teenagers (15, 13 ,13) is a challenge for my wife and me. We all like the Cape Point.

Room was clean and comfortable. Price within out budget ($259/night for the suite). Mid cape is a nice location with an easy drive to any attraction in the area.

Staff was helpful and courteous. The young man working the indoor bar (Anton) was a pleasure to meet and talk too. The breakfast was out of the world. If you like hash with your breakfast, you will find none better the here.

My wife and I have stayed at a half dozen Cape motels over the past 20 years. We'd have no hesitation staying here again.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I should have known, when I called 5 days prior, asking for a change in nights, and got a VERY rude response. If you stay on Saturday, you MUST book for 2 nights. We would not be there until well after midnight on that Friday. Thought we would just get a room for one night instead, but was told that they could not do that. And again in a very rude tone.
So the fun begins. We arive on Saturday, 12:30am. Check-in and the front desk guy runs out to the parking lot to explain that we should only use the wall controls for the AC unit and not the controls that are on the AC unit. We go to our room. The mattress are from the 70's, the pillows were old, the sheets had stains on them, the bathroom was very dirty. The whole room smelled. The walls were paper thin, you had to use the locking bar on the slider becasue the lock didn't work, the towels smelled of smoke, the iron was attached to the ironning board. Like I would want to take that home. You had a guest towel ticket for the pool towels. If you did not return the towels to the front desk, you were charged $10. The first night we didn't undertand the issue with the AC unit. Our family was telling us, that they had to wave their hands, legs or anything else to keep the AC unit going. I thought they were joking, until our 2nd/last night. After 1 minute the AC shut off. We waved our arms, and the AC came back on. At check-out we asked if anyone has ever complained about the AC and they said yes, but that was it. They also told us that all of the mattresses had been replased this week. Well, not our room. They still had the old stripes which old mattress have. The lady at the front desk had the attitude that she really didn't care. Too bad. They will never get our money again. For the price, we could have stayed at a clean Marriott.

5 Thank jen3kidsnh
capepointcc, General Manager at Cape Point Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
The Cape Point is disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay. I would like to clarify some comments you referred to. Our motion control does not work as you stated. The door to your room has a sensor on it. Each time the door opens it searches the room for a few minutes, if it detects motion it activates the a/c until you open the door again. It does not constantly search for motion, however, it will shut off once it reaches the desired temp. This is an energy saving device so that the a/c does not run for 8 hours while no one is in the room. We all need to be a little more energy conscious in today’s world. We are a smoke free hotel so I am perplexed about our towels smelling like smoke. The mattresses are being changed as we speak. We have completed 60% of the rooms. The King Koil mattresses are only 5 years old but did not hold up to King Koils promises, so we are absorbing the cost and changing all the mattresses. Most hotels on Cape Cod have a minimum night stay for Saturday night, however I was glad to see that the front desk was able to accommodate you and find a room for the one night and also provide you with an early check in as opposed to the posted check in at 2:00pm. Again we thank you for your comments, it helps us strive to be better.

Travelers are raving about these West Yarmouth hotels

ct
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Nice rooms,you can run a constant fan to drown out the noises of others. Indoor pool and outdoor pool both well maintained. Comfortable bedding again with fitted bottom sheets, yeah! Right next to resturants with Christmas Tree Shop across the street on scenic Rte. 28. Internet was spotty and front desk said they were waiting for tech support., I did hook up to the internet on a tour bus long enough to get the saved info I needed for vacation. Resturant overlooking indoor pool was only open on the weekends. Only 30 mins to Pleasant bay for kayaking. Only one ice machine by front desk. Desk staff was very pleasant to me but not so with my son (19) who is so polite and personable he usually charms the socks off people, weird.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I first want to say that the hotel was clean and quiet, and I really thought that we would get plenty of rest, and come home relaxed and rested. My husband and I found the beds to be very uncomfortable, and we would wake up not very well rested. I also found the front desk people to be very unfriendly, and not very interactive. When we would come in you could hardly get a hello or a question answered by them. I took my computer to check my email at night and could connect to Cape Point, but never made it online to the web, and when we asked the front desk they were of no help. They acted like we were interupting them. The Pool area was great, but not monitered, and I do not mean a life guard. No one ever came out to check the water, nor make sure that pool regulations were being followed by all using the pool. We saw a guest change their baby on a table a guest would use for eating, and that was done right in front of the Cabana Food area, and they saw it and did not say anything! The air conditioner was also a problem, we called up about it, and the front desk gave us instructions on fixing it, which made it better, but yet really did not fix the problem.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MariaWarwick
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend, for 2 nights. We walked in and the ladies at the front desk where very nice, and helpful. We got to our room, and It was very clean, and it smelled like a clean room should. the beds were comfartable slept really good. espacally when we got sunburned the next day from whale watching. We also used the indoor pool, and that was awesome! i do recomend breakfast in the cafe omg it was really good and cheap. overall I loved this place, I was some what worried beacuse some of the other reviews kinda scared me for a little while. But everything was great! I am glade I decided to stay here, and I will be comeing back everytime I stay at the Cape.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#7 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Holiday Inn Hyannis
Holiday Inn Hyannis
#8 of 22 in Hyannis

Been to Cape Point Hotel? Share your experiences!