“Not worth your money.”
Review of Cape Point Hotel

Cape Point Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in West Yarmouth
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at the Cape Point Hotel over the week of July 4th. My fiance and I shared the family suite with my brother and sister-in-law. Upon booking we were told there was a common sitting area in the suite. When we arrived, the hotel looked more like a motel and there was no common area other than a hallway and extra sink. The rooms were dingy and had stains on walls/carpet and peeling wallpaper. The bathroom in this suite; intended for at least 4 people was tiny. The countertop was peeling around the sink. After a day at the beach our sheets were full of sand and we assumed they would be changed in the A.M. When we returned we slept on the sandy sheets. We had booked a trip on the Vineyard ferry and were told by hotel staff that a shuttle takes you from the hotel to the hyline ferry. In the morning we went to the lobby @830 am when the shuttle was supposed to leave only to be informed there was not shuttle today, thanks for the memo, and that the boat wasnt running. I was shocked since I had booked my tickets the nite before so I called hyline and the laughed and informed me that the boat was still running, just the shuttle wasnt, so I had to inform the front desk. I could have lost$276 if I hadnt had the smarts to call hyline myself. Overall there are better hotels in the area dont waste your money at this dumpy one.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 28, 2008

Very disappointed with a recent stay at the Cape Point Hotel. The place is going downhill in a hurry. We stayed there previously and were quite satisfied, but this last trip was a horrible disappointment. The first night there was a cockroach in the bathroom. When my husband contacted the manager she arrived with prepared literature about wood roaches not being "Asian cockraches." I don't know about you, but to me a roach by any other name is still a roach. I didn't want to stay at all but since we tried to find another place within our budget but couldn't we took the offer of the hotel moving us to a suite upstairs. The room was dirty - stained carpet, peeling wallpaper , crud in the corners of the bathroom floor, the sink hadn't been cleaned and there was long black hair stuck in the refrigerator door. If the roach wasn't enough to gross you out, the hair and stained carpet finished me off. Turning down the covers to go to bed that night there was a deal mosquito on the pillow and some other unidentifiable green bug. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to go home. We'll never go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank traveler426
innkeeper7, MANAGER at Cape Point Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2008

The Board of Health and Ecolabs confirmed that bug was a Wood Roach and not a cockroach. Big difference.Wood roaches live in bark mulch and wooded areas and do not like indoors. If they are indoors it is because a human transported it by shoe or other means. a Wood Roach is by no means a reflection on the cleanliness of the hotel.

Reviewed May 27, 2008

If you are looking for anything more than an old, run-down hotel, don't stay here. The first room we entered had a dirty bathroom, and peeling countertop on sink area. Mattresses are low quality and bedding poor. Everything about the place was old and cheap. Septic was overflowing from man-holes and area outside smelled horrible. Totally overpriced for quality of rooms. Pool closes at 7pm outside - yuck for summer. Kids can't even throw a ball around.

Reviewed May 15, 2008

I was a little worried after reading some of the negative reviews for this hotel. There was nothing to worry about. The front desk personnel were very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were very clean. We had a great breakfast at the hotel restaurant and the price was reasonable. We did not use the pool but it looked nice and the temp said 86 degrees.
I would definitley stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank malynn28
Reviewed April 16, 2008

Stayed at the Cape Point two nights, Sat. & Sun. and loved the place. We had a Deluxe room with two queen beds and a twin sofa pull out that we used only for sitting. The room was plenty big, clean and comfortable. Steps down the hallway was a large heated pool (86 degrees) in a enclosed room with cathedral ceiling and a sports bar/lounge on the second floor on one end. The lounge was air conditioned and very comfortable. Large jacuzzi, kid's wading pool, restrooms with showers and Sauna also located here. Great staff at front desk and lounge. The breakfast restaurant , Cape Point Cafe, is just off the lobby area in very bright cozy cafe type room. The food here was excellent and a great value. Very fast and friendly service. The entire experience was great and a very good value.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bobcside401
Reviewed April 12, 2008

I am not one to complain but I had such a bad experience at the cape point that I feel compelled to tell others about it. I grew up in Yarmouth and my family and I always recommended the cape point to visiting family members and friends over the years b/c it is convenient, affordable, clean and has a pool. Since moving to CT 8 years ago, I stayed there several times/year. Up until this past weekend, I had not stayed there in 3 years and I was very disappointed with the entire experience. The sheets on the beds had not been changed (they were covered in HAIR, gross!) so I called the front desk and someone did come to change the sheets. I called TWICE for more towels and they never arrived. The ceiling in the bathroom had a large amount of MOLD on it. Finally, I could not sleep b/c the air conditioning/heating unit in the room was making a horrible noise ALL night. It also had a block on it so that we couldn't change the temperature. I will not stay there again and I will be sure to tell all of my friends and family members to stay somewhere else in the future. It's a shame, the cape point is really going down hill.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 2, 2008

We are not a picky family. We are seasoned budget travellers (wife and 2 very small children). I suppose this facility is exactly what you pay for, but there were a few things that really bothered me about the place:
1. Security doors totally unlocked 24/7
2. Surly unhelpful teenage front desk staff. The surliness is part of being a teen, but unhelpful?
3. The noxious septic aroma in the parking lot
4. The fact that our key card expired every day and we had to bring it to the front desk to get recharged, which was such a huge inconvenience to them! (see 2. above...)

The rooms were okay, not unclean or anything, just time-worn and extremely outdated. Our kids loved the pool, but they like anything that holds water. I'd look around on the cape for other lodging, but honestly, the general quality of hotels for budget travellers is all pretty much the same. They all get 1 star!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Cod - Hyannis
Mariner Motor Lodge
Mariner Motor Lodge
#10 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Cape Point Hotel? Share your experiences!