“An oasis of calm.”

Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I booked a place at this HI and it didn't disappoint. The beds were comfy, breakfast was tasty, the bathrooms clean and lounge was excellent.

Nice hammocks to lounge in and plan days, helpful staff that gave wonderful tips on places to sea.

A great hostel. The only thing that could be marked down is it's location. It is a bit far from the main towns but the buses were frequent so this wasn't a massive problem

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank 755herbs

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I went to Martha's Vineyard with my girl scout troop. We had a great time it was supper clean and the food was tolerable. The staff was a bit too friendly but we didn't think about it. We were fine until three of the girls fell sick. As we soon found out they don wash the blankets after each tendent and those three girls had each had a contaminated blanket. Now two of those three are missing out on major graduation activities. I'm not saying its not a cheap and easy place to star but just be sure the blankets are clean...

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Eaz88
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Brilliant owners here, they made me feel so welcome, I had a friend who had stayed there a couple of weeks before me and they remembered her, and the fact that she'd been on a tour, it's the little things like that which really make a place! The dorm room was lovely, just a few beds in each, the bathrooms had everything you needed them to have, the kitchen was well equipped which made making dinner easy, and the pancakes and coffee at breakfast were brilliant! The island bus stops right outside the hostel (so long as you tell the driver you're getting off there) and if you have to swap buses to get to the hostel, let the driver of the 1st bus know you're going to the hostel and they will radio to your connecting bus and let them know to wait for you at the interchange point. (in fact, any time you have to swap buses, let the driver know and they radio through).

The hostel have some good booked on MV behind the reception desk, I spotted one with some suggested walking routes for each of the towns, I asked if I could borrow it for my 1st evening to get some ideas and the girl said I could take it out for the day - brilliant!

Room Tip: The ladies bathroom was upstairs and some female dorms are downstairs, ask for an upstairs room if y...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Caroline K
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Our son wanted us to stay at the Hostel on Martha's Vineyard. It was a very interesting and a lot of nice people. A breakfast was provided, which we didn't expect. We had a fun time at breakfast with the diverse people from different countries. We were just there for 24 hours so we didn't have a chance to check out everything.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I've been to a lot of hostels and this is one of my new favorites. The location is secluded and beautiful; a great place to just get away from it all! The owners/staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and made the hostel feel homey. The daily breakfast was one of the better ones I've had at a hostel. The room I stayed in was dorm-style and had around 10 bunk beds, but it was clean and not crammed at all. I would highly recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This was a great place to stay - all the staff was super friendly. It is right on the bus route #6, but need to be at the bus stop early or they won't stop. The couple that run the place made sure we had everything we needed. It does include a free breakfast each day which includes pancakes made by Mike. There is coffee & tea available all day. So if you are on a budget this is a great place to stay. On the day before we left - there were about 15 teenagers from a deaf school all on the second floor and since we were the only couple on the first floor - they let my hubby use the first floor female bathroom. One funny thing was we had to wash our own dishes and I didn't know how to work the sink - foot peddles to turn on the water :)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We reserved a private rooom with a private 1/2 bath for my family of 4. GREAT! Clean, well-managed, nice, spacious property, free breakfast in the morning, outdoor and indoor showers, and right on the bike bath and a bus route. You'll pay 50% less than the budget hotels on the island, and get a much better experience. Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
#3 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Treehouse Lodge
Treehouse Lodge
#2 of 2 in Woods Hole

Been to Hostelling International - Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!