“Wished it had been better!”
Review of Rouge

Rouge
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Contemporary French cuisine using local ingredients, serving the local community as well as second home owners and visitors to our region consistently for the past sixteen years. Voted "Best of the Berkshires 2016". We offer two menus, a more formal menu in the dining room areas, and a bar/ tapas menu in the Bistro room and bar. We offer later hours on the weekend throughout the summer season, and to go meals.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

So, we had been at Rouge for tapas one quiet afternoon was good and so I decided to bring my husband back, my daughter and her boyfriend. What a different experience. The dining room was SO noisy, it was almost impossible to talk. It was compounded by a waitress who virtually ignored us and spent all of her time talking to another talk, chatting with them, telling them her life story.... She was so rude. On to the food, which is absurdly expensive. There are so many amazing restaurants in the Berkshires with amazing, reasonably priced food. This is not one of them. The food was OK, nothing really remarkable, very standard, good, but unimpressive fare. Absolutely no reason to return to this restaurant.....

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have been going to the Berkshires for many years and thought that we know most of the great restaurants in the area, We decided for this trip to seek out and try some new places and Rouge was recommended to us by people we met at a Tanglewood concert who raved about it.

And for good reason. The place is warm and inviting from the moment that you set foot through the front door. We were first greeted with a big smile by Maggie Merelle who it turns out is one of the owners. Although we did not have a reservation, she was able to seat the three of us within 10 minutes and get a server to our table shortly thereafter.

The decor is bright and attractive and each room has its own unique charm and appeal.

The menu offered many interesting choices designed to cater to the tastes of varied palates and everything that we ordered was satisfying, fresh and delicious with generous portions
especially dessert which was one of the many delights of our meal.

We began with the mussels mariniere in a Sauvingnin Blanc and garlic sauce. They were large and very tasty and the sauce was so good, we needed to keep dipping bread into it after the mussels were gone!

We tried the Rainbow Trout and the Rack of Lamb and each had its own lovely deliciousness to them with tasty sides and vegetables. Our portions were very generous.

Although we were pretty filled up after our entrees, we could not resist trying some of their amazing desserts which were a delight to the eyes and palate and quite wonderful! We ate a
berry tart with fresh apricots, blueberries and a raspberry sauce on and around vanilla ice cream, topped with a tart covered with more fruit and sauce. We also had their specialty which had gelato, dark chocolate ganache, dessert chips and granny smith apples and a lovely chocolate sauce and were delighted by how delicious and satisfying both of our desserts were!

Our waitress was friendly, warm and attentive and showed such a sincere interest in making sure that we got what we needed throughout the meal, making our first trip to Rouge one we will certainly repeat many times again when we are back in the area!

Thanks to everyone at Rouge for making our last evening of our vacation such a wonderful and enjoyable one!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The food was very good: my chicken was tender and not overcooked, and my husband's duck was delicious. Our waitress was knowledgeable and friendly. The only negative was the room temperature, which varied by about 10 degrees within each of the little rooms in the restaurant -- the coolest of which was still not cool enough (and this from someone who's always cold!). Overall, a lovely evening.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

First of all there is not much/any choice for eating dinner out in West Stockbridge. Having said that there is no reason to give the only place 5 stars when it doesn't deserve it.

The food was mediocre. I had the 1/2 chicken and The top half was tender and juicy and the bottom half was like rubber.

My wife ordered the sea bass and she said it had a very strong burnt taste from the grill.

The ambience was horrendous. Four of us were dining together and it was so noisy there we couldn't speak across the table.

The wine selection is very limited and very mediocre. I was given two or three samples for tasting as I wasn't familiar with their cheap choices and rejected them all. I ended up not ordering wine with dinner which is very rare.

In any other locale this restaurant would be broke. With no competition it will survive

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had to ponder the menu for 15 minutes to struggle with what to order! One of each would have been my first choice.....however impractical and impossible to thoroughly devour. Bottom line: Rouge offers lengthy and wonderfully varied and scrumptious options.

Because of the proffered choices, our party of seven shared tastings of each entree. Raves abound all around from the shitake spring rolls, caesar salad with duck skin crisps, soups, fresh bread, to the specials. My entree, veal scallop with frisee, apricots and several more delightful morsels, was nicely prepared, beautifully presented with ongoing surprises of various textures and flavors. Lovely.

Desserts were also shared and enjoyed. While the profiteroles were the favorite, I tried to keep my Caramellow for myself because it was sooooooo good and so unusual. I didn't understand the 'mello' description.....as it was a dense caramel creme brûlée topped with crunchy chocolate flavored sugar glaze.

Can't wait to visit the Berkshires again to revisit Rouge. Warning: highly popular and crowded so plan ahead and get a reservation. Only compliant: noisy....needs something to buffer the loud conversationalists that also enjoy the exquisite cuisine served in this charming setting.