“Unexpected”

Rouge
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Contemporary French cuisine using local ingredients, serving the local community as well as second home owners and visitors to our region consistently for the past sixteen years. Voted "Best of the Berkshires 2016". We offer two menus, a more formal menu in the dining room areas, and a bar/ tapas menu in the Bistro room and bar. We offer later hours on the weekend throughout the summer season, and to go meals.
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Being from Florida, we had no idea how small West Stockbridge would be. Our innkeeper in Lenox raved about Rouge, however, so we made the short drive to W.S. and we're surprised to find such a good restaurant in such a very small place. The whole menu looked good, but we opted for tapas. Our waitress, Hannah, was very personable and extremely knowledgeable and helpful with the menu. Get the duck confit, ribs, and fried polenta. Superb. I highly recommend this restaurant. Great cozy atmosphere, too.

1  Thank flfrank

Reviewed September 22, 2012

From the wine and cocktails, to tapas and entrees, to dessert, every aspect of Rouge is consistently stellar. The owners have created a warm, comfortable, unique atmosphere. The food is always delicious, and the staff is knowledgable and friendly. My husband and I have recently moved away from the Berkshires, and frequently crave William's Duck Confit! I would recommend this restaurant to any food-lover.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

When ti comes to charm, this place takes the gateau. Lovely, UNPRETENTIOUS decor, delicious food, convivial waitstaff, and the governor of Massachusetts hanging out, pretending to be invisible...The soup was super (who knew tomatoes, leeks and potatoes worked so well together?) and the duck was delightful. We'll be back, for sure.

1  Thank David A
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Went to Rouge for the first time. Loved it. Everything about our dinner there was delightful. The staff was accommodating, the service excellent, and the food delicious. Lemon chicken, spinach gratin, rack of lamb, tapas, even the bread was perfect. We will return.

1  Thank marianne_young
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Can't say enough great things about this wonderful restaurant in the Berkshires. We have family that live in Western Mass and every time we visit we make it a point to go to Rouge because it's such a treat. We live in Boston which is a great foodie city in itself, but I'd put Rouge up against any place in the city. In a lot of ways, I find it even better because of the cozy, quirky, friendly atmosphere that is completely unique, and completely Berkshirian. It has a totally organic feel to it. I understand that some of the other reviewers think that it looks tacky, but I find it very charming. I think that's part of the appeal of the Berkshires in general. So if you're coming here for charmless, no-personality perfection that you can find in some restaurants in the city, you're out of luck. Instead, you'll find a warm staff, delicious food, and tons of personality. The owners have clearly put their heart and soul into this restaurant and it shows. Ten years for a restaurant is a long time, and ten years in the Berkshires, where places come and go, is definitely remarkable. I think it's a testament to the amazing owners and great staff who keep the place running so smoothly.

The food is amazing and it's taken me awhile to branch out and order anything but the duck because it's so delicious. But, when I've ordered other things (or stolen some off my husband's plate) I'm never disappointed. The saffron mussles are also heavenly, as are the french fries. They're also willing to take special orders (extra crispy french fries!) or make suggestions. In my experience, asking the wait staff (who are so helpful and extremely sweet) or ordering the specials are the way to go.

The bar is excellent as well, run by a great bartender who will make suggestions if you're lost on what you want to order, which often happens to me. The pours are generous (to say the least) and the atmosphere at the bar is very friendly. Even if you're not a local (like myself) people start chatting and include you in conversations to the point that you feel like you fit in. The bar is also one of the only places in the Berkshires that stays open reasonably late, so it gets a nice size crowd closer to closing time.

it can get on the busier side in the summer, but so does everything in the Berkshires. But if that means we have to wait at the bar a little bit longer, so be it! Just gives me an excuse to try some pinapple or beet infused vodka (trust me, it's delicious).

Overall, it's a wonderful restaurant and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good Berkshire-style restaurant and bar, with a great staff and owners and DELICIOUS food.

1  Thank Leslie P