“Outstanding meal, Great service”

Truc Orient Express
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ashford, Connecticut
“Outstanding meal, Great service”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I recently visited Truc Orient Express with my sister and two nieces. The food was outstanding. The calamari salad was the best I have had. All prices were reasonable and the service was not only attentive, but done with good humor. Following dinner, we wandered through their gift shop which included some beautiful silk clothing that is hand made in Vietnam. There were also wooden serving pieces that were made of coconut wood which is very interesting. I would return to this restaurant again to share with my husband!

• Visited July 2013

Boston, MA
“Deliciousness: Vietnamese Food Standard Bearer”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We have dined at Truc Orient Express since it opened, 34 years ago. As other reviewers said, it is owned by the same family, and Tri, the owner, takes great pride in her food and heritage. The food: fantastic. So fresh, tasty, subtle and unusual. Portions are ample, and even though the sauces are light, we left totally satisfied and full. We began with a different take on calamari; Spice Squid Salad. The squid was crispy and the tamarind sauce, refreshing. Our other appetizer, Shrimp Summer Rolls, were chock full of mint, coriander and large shrimp (plus noodles etc) and the bean sauce was rich and tasty. We split a Happy Pancake, choosing the shrimp and chicken fill, and have not found its equal anywhere else. We ended with a lemon mousse and flan, both of which were again, light and not overly sweet.
All this food, plus a glass of wine, came at a very reasonable cost-less than many of the pricey restaurants in the area.
We love Orient Express. We visit the Berkshires often-not our home- and whenever I see a Vietnamese restaurant elsewhere, I constantly compare it to this one in West Stockbridge. No other Vietnamese restaurant has ever born up! Orient Express is my standard bearer of Vietnamese food anywhere.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank chippie
Hudson, New York
“A very worthwhile place to dine”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been stopping at Truc's for over a decade. It has provided an invariably enjoyable dining experience. The staff is consistently friendly and attentive. The food is reliably tasty. I never had a bad dish there. The prices are probably the most affordable in the area.

• Visited July 2012
Bloomingdale, New York
“Nice Vietnamese dining experience”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed 2 nights in West Stockbridge while attending a concert at Tanglewood and visiting our daughter, who was staying nearby at the Millay Art Colony. The 3 of us thoroughly enjoyed dining at the Truc Orient Express. The interior of the dining area was very appealing and we enjoyed the friendly, courteous, though not overly attentive, service provided by what seemed to be several generations of the Vietnamese family who manage the restaurant. We all ordered from the Vegetarian section of the menu. All our meals were excellent, with our daughter's choice "the Happy pancake" the most tasty. Additionally the summer rolls with the excellent peanut sauce as an appetizer were exceptionally good - the Vietnamese beer choice was also good. Recommended as an enjoyable Vietnamese dining experience.

• Visited June 2012
New York, NY
“Great Southeast Asian Food”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This pioneer of asian food has been in West Stockbridge for decades. It's no longer the large, destination restaurant it once was, but the food remains sold and a solid value.

Visited January 2012