“Found by chance, not forgotten”
Review of Nook and Cranny - CLOSED

Nook and Cranny
Cuisines: American
Rochester, NY
“Found by chance, not forgotten”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Thanksgiving weekend, long trip on Mass Pike, tried a little shunpiking to find some place to eat, off at Stockbridge, kept driving west and came across Nook and Cranny. This place is a real find for folks who prefer local ambiance to fast food monotony. Quick friendly servers, clearly local clientele, delicious roast beef "melt" on rye, better than expected fish and chips--what's not to like? We have marked it on our map for our next trip.

• Visited November 2013

“Excellent value...and the serve breakfast til 2pm!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stopped at McDonald's in Great Barrington, MA for breakfast, only to be told at 10:33, that they stopped serving breakfast at 10:30am. Who wants a burger or nuggets at 10:30 in the morning??? I'll reserve comment on that though for their own review. This is about Nook and Cranny!
When considering where else we could go, I remembered a quaint little place we discovered one Saturday while tooling around West Stockbridge. Nook and Cranny is not much to look at from the outside...looks like an ordinary little house, but I'd seen it noted on Trip Advisor and had read that it offered breakfast til 2pm. We had a good visit the first time, so we decided to try it again. This time it was a weekday so we were the only ones there at first. I ordered 2 scrambled eggs, an English muffin, hashed browns and coffee. My husband ordered a breakfast sandwich made from a bagel. He drank iced water. I think the bill was only around $10-11, give or take. The eggs were very generous...looked more like four eggs instead of two! My guess is that since it wasn't busy, they gave me an extra helping rather than having it go to waste. That's just a guess. I wasn't a fan of the hashed browns. They were dipped in a coating and deep fried sort of like a fritter. I was wishing I'd ordered homefries instead. I had had them last time and liked them. The coffee was great and our server did a good job with replenishing my cup. This is a nice clean and cozy eatery. If you are looking for breakfast, this is a good place to go. It's busy on the weekends though, so you may have to wait. But during the week, I don't think you'll have trouble. We enjoyed both visits and plan to return.

• Visited November 2013
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Disappointed this time”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our last visit was good so we returned. The soup this day was Loaded Baked Potato. It was ok but nothing to brag about. Had a different waitress this time. She was not friendly or cheerful at all. We were thinking about ordering dessert but when the waitress dropped off our check without asking, we decided to pass on it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Debarita
Boston, Massachusetts
“What a find... wonderful egg white omelet”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Well, after two nights in a welfare motel, we decided to try a homely little place in West Stockbridge. Through the door - nice greeting and we ordered the special of the day omelet with egg whites instead of regular eggs...It came quickly, well cooked and hot. We enjoyed the food, nothing overly special...but, we love West Stockbridge, so we will be back

• Visited July 2013
Altoona, Wisconsin
“Road food relief”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

On the road, stayed at a nasty hotel overnight and wasn't going to touch the crappy free breakfast s we just hit the road. Unfortunately between Schenectady and the Mass border there isn't much so I punched restaurant into the GPS when we go to the border and were we happy it came up with this even though it wasn't right next to the highway. So we are not talking a 5 star fancy restaurant here just on the side of the road family diner scale this placed rocked the breakfast. Local color, chatty staff, good cup of coffee and awesome eggs benny, kids had pancakes and french toast and raved about it. Best of all it was affordable! Maybe it's just because we were weary of fast food or just because I am a New Englander exiled to Wisconsin and happy to be back and here the local dialects but this definitely did the trick for us.

• Visited June 2013