“Fantastic food”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
New Hampshire
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I have now eaten at Shaker Mill Tavern 3 times in the past year when staying in town. I always sit at the bar and have had nothing but fantastic experiences. I love the combination of casual environment and surprisingly unique menu items for such a setting. I dreamed of their wings for a year before I could return. Surprised by the negative reviews. Perhaps the bar service is the trick!

Visited January 2011

Albany, NY
“Weird experience - poor service, lousy food”
Reviewed January 2, 2011

What a strange experience we had on our first (and LAST) visit to the Shaker Mill Tavern. When we arrived, the hostess called to us from across the room to come to HER to be seated. She seated us but didn't give us menus. She walked away promising us to return with menus - but she never did! Then our waitress came over and demanded to know what we wanted to drink. We told her we didn't know since we didn't know what was on the menu. She looked at us like we were crazy. ( I'm sorry but choosing between brunch and lunch means choosing between a hot and a cold beverage. To me, that's a no-brainer.) She slowly came to the realization we didn't have menus and reluctantly went to get us some menus -- finally! I ordered a water and coffee (but had to remind them 2 more times for the water before they brought it over!). Two of us ordered fried eggs over chili. The eggs was bland -- no seasoning, no garnish, no side of bread. Nothing! The chili portion was very small. AND they didn't give us soap spoons -- all we had were the teaspoons we used for our coffee. And the weirdness continued..... There was no pepper on the table ( just salt )so we had to ask for pepper. Before everyone in the party was finished eating the waitress snatched the pepper away (without asking if we were done with it) and put it on the table next to us!! Our children ordered the Belgian waffles. When I noticed one of my kids struggling, sawing away on a waffle with a knife I realized both orders of waffles were COLD and HARD! I mentioned this to the waitress. She made a face and walked away. When she came back with the check she explained that she didn't charge us for one of the two orders of waffles. Nice, but both orders of waffles were lousy! Truly, this was a strange dining experience from beginning to end. We were left scratching our heads. It was like the staff had never been trained in customer service or how to prepare and serve food. DON'T BOTHER GOING TO SHAKER MILL TAVERN!!

1 Thank shanney003
Rochester, New York
“Unexpectedly great food..”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Our party of eight stopped by this restaurant with no prior recommendations and without having read any of the reviews. I will tell you that the food was an unexpected delight. Without exception, everyone in our group raved about the quality of the food.....who would have guessed this totally unpretentious tavern would have such a talented chef. Service was unrefined but adequate. The setting was typical 'old tavern' and somewhat uninspired. Go for the food!!

“Great food, but very odd place!”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

The food was delicious, but the service was horrendous!! Our waitress frist greeted us by telling us all that they were out of. Then she took our order, and we never saw her again! She finally came back with a dessert menu, but never came back for the order. The bus person actually stood at our table and waited for us to finish our salad to take our plates. She also told us that if we were "going to eat any more", we had to keep our forks! The place was not busy at all and while some wait staff was standing around, our waitress could not even be spotted. Also the wait staff could be heard talking about patrons at other tables. The decor is awful as well. Two large tables with draping white table cloths, and the rest didn't even have a place mat on them. Very strange place. My advice is for that terrific chef to either hire a new front of the house manager, or move to a classier place. His food did not fit the bizarre atmosphere of the place!

Jenkintown, PA
“Great place, great food.”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I visit West Stockbridge every summer and was thrilled to find a delicious, reasonable place to eat. I've had dinners, drinks, and their fabulous Sunday brunch. The food is superb. My favorite is the polenta, but they have great salads, burgers, pizza, and more. Love the atmosphere; very down-to-earth with a great bar and wide-screen TVs. You can also eat outside. Service has always been great, and if I sit at the bar I can get in and out quickly to get to the theater or whatever. Highly recommended.