“Nice Restaurant, very good Italian food”

Carrabba's Italian Grill
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Nice Restaurant, very good Italian food”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Carrabba's Italian Grill is a nice chain restaurant which serves good quality food. The last couple of times that we have gone there, however, it has just been okay and I would consider it average.
Our family likes the bread that can be dipped into the olive oil with herbs, which is given out before the meal. The kids love this, and we always have leftovers of our meal to take home.
I usually get the stuffed chicken with mushrooms, and everyone else usually gets pasta dishes. Other than being very salty, the meal is good. We had to return a pizza that the kids ordered because the chef went pepper-happy, so much, that the pizza couldn't be eaten.
The management immediately prepared a new pizza for us, which we appreciated very much. It was much better and we left satisfied. I brought some relatives from Europe to Carrabbas, and they commented that the food was authentic Italian, just like what they have experienced when they go to Italy. They were pleased with their meals.
Being right across the street from Olive Garden makes it a tough choice, because both restaurants are about the same in terms of the quality of the food. It's worth a try for something different, but it's "hit or miss." Hopefully you'll go on a "hit" day.

• Visited August 2012

Hartford, Connecticut
“Excellent fish”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I had their tilapia and it was fresh, hot, and well prepared. Good service too. We stopped in for lunch and it was well worht our time.

Visited October 2011
Suffield, Ct
“It has slipped, disappointing meal.”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had always considered Carrabba's a good alternative to Olive Garden and of course, the many local, family owned Italian restaurants in the area. Last week our dinner was a disappointment. As nice and attentive as our server was, she could not make up for mediocre, and at times, poorly prepared food. We each started with a glass of wine, which was fine and opted for the combination appetizer platter with fried calamari and marinara, fried mozarella cheese and bruchetta. The fried cheese was acceptable and the marinara sauce was actually very good. The fried calamari however was heavily breaded and pale. Our server offered to get us another order, but given the nature of it, I am not sure it could be improved. The bruchetta was equally disappointing. During the summer there is plenty of fresh produce so it is hard to understand why they would serve a concoction of what appeared to be sun dried or cooked tomatoes. I chose the creamy italian dinner salad. What came to the table was a plate of Romaine lettuce, including the center core and two black olives and a coupe of croutons. For my entree I opted for the seafood cannelloni with shrimp, scallops and lobster. Three cannelloni's arrived smothered in a sauce that made it impossible to differentiate any individual flavor. I did not finish that either. My husband had a caesar salad, which appeared better prepared than mine, and the potato encrusted sea bass with garlic mashed potatoes. While the portion was adequate the preparation was bland and uninteresting. Having not finished either the appetizer or the meal, we did have room for dessert. We opted to share the John Cole. This is a dish of vanilla ice cream topped with caramel sauce and cinnamon pecans. This was excellent. Simple but delicious. A dish of ice cream however will not persuade me to return to Carrabba's any time soon.

• Visited September 2012
Connecticut
“Gluten Free!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I miss Italian food. My husband has Celiac disease. With this resteraunt we get the best of both worlds!!

Visited October 2011
Easthampton, Massachusetts
“Consistently excellent”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Excellent menu for food and wine. Reasonable prices. Service is always excellent. Tilapia is very tasty and is cooked to perfection.

• Visited July 2012