All reviews water sprinklers updated rooms convenient location big e springfield
Selected filters
Reviewed November 13, 2016

I don't travel much, I don't read reviews before I find a hotel, LESSON LEARNED.
Here is a bulleted list of our difficulties:
*water park only open F S S---NOT clarified when we booked or on our itinerary anywhere. Upon arriving and expressing our disappointed, we were met with attitude and defensiveness rather than apology and sincerity.
*hotel staff "upgraded" our rooms to a view of the water park we couldn't access
*arcade tokens were offered in lieu of water park access. Most games out of order.
*pub supposed to open at 4 ( we needed a drink at this point) we arrived at 4:20 bartender was all bent out of shape that we were early and told us to come back when she was set up.
*vending machines don't sell water
*found out we had left a personal item in the room, called a few hours after checkout, were promised a call from house keeping and nothing.

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2016

I recently had to be in Western Mass for family related items. It had to be a quick mid week stay and I needed a hotel in West Springfield on Riverdale Road for vicinity reasons. I was drawn to this hotel for a few reasons; I used to work at the hotel 28 years ago as a room service waiter while in college. Also, my family held all their huge wedding receptions in the banquet halls and we had my late grandmother's 80th birthday party in the private dining room at Barclay's Restaurant. I was curious to see the ole girl (the hotel, not my grandmother). Briefly, what you get for the lowest price around is a decent room, great breakfast buffet, friendly staff and a gym. In detail, here's what I found:

1. First impressions are everything and can overcome many challenges. Natasha at the front desk was very accommodating and helpful. She was super friendly and made me feel as if I were coming home, especially after dealing with family challenges of elder care coordination. She's in the right business and was a good hire.
I ran into a housekeeper when leaving my room. She wanted "in" to turn it. Friendly, well groomed and communicative. She wished me safe travels.
2. The room was clean. Bed comfy. TV a bit fuzzy. Wifi good. Neighboring guests were quiet. Bathroom renovated. Hot bath with spa music - relaxing (I rinsed tub first, but do that everywhere I stay... spa music not provided by hotel).
3. I used the gym both days I was there. Cardio and universal machine good.
4. Breakfast. Breakfast. Breakfast. This was a great value for the price. The food was hot, fresh and delicious. This was a big plus.
5. I was sad to see that the ole girl has lost a lot of her elegant charm. I understand that the owners must adapt to survive. However, the pool, hot tub and Parrot bar/lounge which were a trademark of the hotel, have been eliminated and replaced with a children's water park. It was closed and I couldn't walk through pool area. Barclay's restaurant is now the breakfast area and the night club is an evening restaurant. The hub bub of the hotel when I worked there is definitely gone. No doorman, valet, bellhops or room service boys running around in black and whites. The pastry chef and food and beverage director are now ghosts.
6. I was nostalgic so I walked the entire hotel. I had known every nook and cranny during my days serving lunches and dinners to weary travelers and boisterous business people, so I was eager to "walk my old route." Part of the corridor on the first floor is now closed off and made into a laundry/linen area. The "tower" portion of the hotel which is a 4 level section in the rear was brand new when I worked there (I got the biggest tips in this section). I walked each floor and actually ran into who I assumed is one of the owners as I climbed the stairs. I didn't say anything because I sensed that the "tower" section is closed and I wasn't supposed to be there. I may have even knocked on a door and yelled room service for old times sake. Weird huh? Anyhow, it appears they are renovating the tower. The common carpets looked new and hallways smelled good.

Overall, the main building still smelled the same which triggered lots of memories. Times change and so do hotels. She is no longer the "Sheraton" of yesteryear and it was hard for me to see. However, the owners are sprucing the place up. The lobby is quite nice and entrance is inviting. However, there is peeling tint on windows, broken screens and landscaping that needs attention.

If you are looking for a cost effective nightly rate, good location, acceptable facility, decent room, friendly staff and a really good breakfast buffet then stay here. If you want "perfect" then I suggest you increase your budget and stay elsewhere. My star rating is based on all things considered.

Room tip: Request a room in tower section if open. South side rooms may have large truck noise due to highway vehicles parked in lot.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
JKandhari, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Aqua Lagoon Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2016

Dear Mike Dubour,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such positive feedback! I can really understand how you heart touching you would have felt staying at the hotel, especially the same hotel where you had worked in your teenage years when it was the Sheraton. I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 24, 2016

I stayed at the Clarion Hotel 10/22/2016. Upon arrival, I had to stand in line for an hour to check in. There were two people at the front desk checking people in and each line was moving slowly. I finally got my room keys and went to the room. I went into the room and saw a spider web over my bed on the ceiling and dead bugs on my shelf. Around the baseboard/carpet they never clean either. I went to the front desk and they gave me another room and a 10 percent discount. I entered the new room and the heater in the room didn't work. I went to the front desk again and they refunded my money and I left. The hotel needs better cleaning staff and a make over. Wrinkled carpet,odors........

2  Thank Lobstermaninthesea
JKandhari, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Aqua Lagoon Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments regarding your recent visit at Clarion Hotel & Aqua Lagoon Waterpark.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the spider web you had found on the ceiling of your room and the heater that did not work on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with the housekeeping and maintenance department to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to West Springfield.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2016

Stayed here overnight while visiting Six Flag Fright Fest.
Pros: Close enough to Six Flags. General Area appeared safe. Staff was pleasant. Breakfast was good. Room seemed clean. Cheap.
Cons: If you are over 6'2" your head will hit the ceiling or the sprinkler heads in the 2nd floor hall way. The bathroom in the room is the same. Mattress felt like it was filled with cement. No elevator. To get to room used a secondary entrance in back which looked a little scary at night. They charged you $10 to use pool.

If you can afford a little more, stay at a more upscale place - there is a Hampton Inn across the street. Overall it was cheap and ok. You will live through it.

Room tip: watch your head
1  Thank Tom G
JKandhari, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Aqua Lagoon Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2016

Dear Tom,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations about the height of the bathroom ceiling. I wish you would have informed the front desk and we could have moved you to another part of the hotel with rooms having a higher ceilings. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Reviewed September 21, 2016

Was very impressed by the Lobby and all of the Staff was fantastic especially our breakfast server. The room however left a lot to be desired. There were two spiders in the room that caught my eye the moment I walked in and having a fear of spiders did not make things easy for sleeping. The bathroom toilet paper roll was all rusted?? I found that odd, but maybe its because of the dampness due to the waterpark? Plugged our charger into two of the outlets provided with the lamps and neither worked which I didn't realize until the next morning when my phone was not charged. Woke up with a very stuffy nose not sure why but that doesn't typically happen to me. The AC unit is very old and dingy... It looks like pieces of the room were updated but others just looked over. The TV had lines all through it and the picture was unclear. Now one of these things isn't a big deal but when you combine them all it really makes for an disappointing stay.

Date of stay: September 2016