“Surprisingly Good!”

Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Myron
Connecticut
“Surprisingly Good!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Several years ago, we stumbled upon Cal's. After a long day we were treated to a delicious meal and have been back annually since then. Last week, a group of 10 of us went to Cal's and I can honestly say that we all agreed that our meals were great.

• Visited November 2013

Bristol, Connecticut
“Stewing over the Stew”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

On Saturday 10/26 we went to Cal's for dinner. I ordered a special that was described as a seafood stew with a saffron flavored broth. Upon further questioning of our waitress Kate I asked if it was similar to a bouillabaisse and she replied that it was. I was shocked when the "stew" arrived and the only moisture was a puddle of sauce/gravy at the bottom of the bowl. Not like any bouillabaisse or seafood stew I ever had before. Barely enough sauce to provide moisture for the potatoes, 1/2 lobster, three shrimp, three mussels, two clams and a cube of cod.

I offered my date the first piece of lobster tail meat which took me a while to slice, and it took her even longer to chew it. When she finished the said that it was like chewing bubble gum, and she was right. I couldn't believe it. My date was halfway through her meal when the waitress come over to check on the dinners. I mentioned the toughness of the lobster and said I wasn't going to eat it. She cam back and offered to have the kitchen boil me another lobster. I refused as my date was almost finished with her dinner by that time.

So I ended up paying for a dinner that was lackluster at best, and mostly uneatable. No offers to have a manager address the issue, but I'm guessing the offer of boiling another lobster was the managers. When the waitress brought the bill and informed me they did comp me a glass of wine, she also had the nerve to ask if we wanted to become frequent diners at Cal's! It took me quite a bit not to laugh right in her face, I did however ask her why she thought I would ever want to come back to Cal's after this experience. She didn't have much to say.

So needless to say that was my second and last experience at Cal's. Not much going for the customer's dining experience. It also makes very me wary of trying any of the other Mill Restaurant Group's offerings.

• Visited October 2013
Massachusetts
“Good meal and good value”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had Cal's fixed price dinner, which was sized well and priced right. The beet salad appetizer was very good, as was the pork medallions with sweet potato hash and the chocolate cake for dessert. Service was very good. By the time we finished our meal, there was a long wait for a table, so clearly the place is popular.

• Visited October 2013
6 webb terrace
“excellent food every time!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We have eaten at Cal's many times and the food is always consistently great. Quality fresh ingredients and flavorful menu choices are always abundant. Cal's continually keeps up with current trends by changing their menu often
and offering great food at ridiculously reasonable prices! The price fixed lunches and dinners cannot be beat The regular menu selections and the bar menu are also good.
Skip the microwaved Olive Garden and chain meals and go for some real food at Cal's.

• Visited September 2013
Pleasant Valley, New York
“Seafood Heaven”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

While visiting the area I needed to find a place to eat on a Saturday night(6:30) and wasn't having much luck.Tried a few chain places in the same neighborhood first with waits of 45 mins, my husband spied Cal's and we drove into the parking lot to see how long the wait was. The owner was actually standing at the door way holding the door for folks to enter. I found that there was no wait so hurried to the car where my husband was waiting and told him to park and come inside. The hostess had held a table for us while I alerted my husband so we were ushered in to a cozy two person table. Loved it! Vanessa our waitress followed behind her and took our order for drinks. We were quickly served my white sangria and a bottle of beer for the husband. After explaining the specials, I decided on the Atlantic Ocean Seafood Platter, and he got the special which was tomato soup, crusted cod with cannelloni beans and broccoli rabe and apple strudel for dessert for $20.13. Portions for special were a little small, but with an unending supply hot rolls he was happy. My meal had the sweetest deep fried clam strips and scallops, I have ever eaten! There was also shrimp and scrod deep fried to a nice crispiness and tender inside. A large side of french fries that looked fresh cut and an excellent salad accompanied the meal along with crunchy cole slaw that was so fresh and lightly dressed with a hint of jalapeno to keep your mouth happy.The dessert was a large piece of apple strudel warm with a caramel type icing and a large side of vanilla ice cream. The waitress brought two forks, which I thought was very nice. The restaurant is like a large house that is divided into many levels and a large bar on the first floor. There is plenty of parking and even a ramp to get inside--no stairs to worry about. I had the most attentive waitress and would definitely go back to eat here again. You can dress casual or get all dressed up and still feel at home here.

• Visited September 2013