“Nice spot for lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar

Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, International
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Myron
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Nice spot for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This past week, we had lunch at Cal's with two other friends. We called ahead for a 1 o'clock table for 4, and were seated immediately when we arrived. The restaurant was reasonably full for that time of day, but the bar area had plenty of empty stools and "bistro" tables open.

Despite the good size number of people in the dining room, service was very prompt with our waitress arriving at the table in seconds after we were seated. She took drink orders, then left as we looked over the menu. (We've eaten at Cal's a number of times in the past --maybe 5x in all-- so we were able to quickly choose our lunches from the extensive menu, which includes selections: "From the Land", "From the Sea", Pasta, etc. There is also a section of the menu with about eight choices that are part of a 3-course lunches that include salad/entree/dessert for a reasonable $12.95. (Or maybe it is $12.99 --my memory isn't exact since we didn't order from this section.)

We had the following dishes:

Cal's Burger, served with seasoned fries
Roasted Eggplant over linguini
Chicken Parmesean with Spaghetti
Atlantic Salmon with Rice Pilaf

While the portions were not huge, they were adequate, and the meals came with a small house salad.

As to taste, my Eggplant was kind of underwhelming, due to the fact that it was SMOTHERED in tomato sauce (but some people like a lot of sauce). However, the linguini was nicely "al dente".

My companions were happy enough with their choices, although the salmon entree was "bland" according to our companion.

All in all, there were no real complaints about taste.

Having been to Cal's a number of times, I'll say that it can be a "hit or miss" proposition when it comes to how good your selection will taste on any given visit.

Still, we've had more good visits than not, and would visit again.

• Visited February 2013

West Springfield, Massachusetts
“Pricey, but worth a try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Cal's twice. The first time, we had a mussel and clam special for an appetizer. It had a delicious broth, but several of the clams remained unopened. For the entrees, I had a scallop dish- the scallops were cooked perfectly. My wifw had a steak and gorgonzola pasta dish, and while an unexpected combination was really terrific. For our second visit, we had the calamari appetizer. We were disappointed. The calamari was clearly frozen, not fresh, and was overcooked. My wife had a filet topped with gorgonzola, which was seasoned really well. I had a pan seared chicken breast with mushroom ravioli, which I enjoyed. We tried dessert this time, and split an apple strudel. While the flavor of the strudel was delicious, it clearly been microwaved as a means to warm it up, which made the crust soggy. My wife had flavored martinis to drink each visit - be forwarned, they are very strong (and should be for almost $10 a drink). The decor is nice, and the servers are attentive.

• Visited January 2013
Pelham, MA
“Decent eats, nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stopped in here on the way back from the airport, and saw that they had a fried clam special dinner. The atmosphere was pleasant...nautical stuff everywhere, but the clams were serously overcooked. It was easy to tell that if they had been removed from the fryer on time, they would have been quite good. One plus was that I wasn't forced to eat french fries with 'em. Slaw was good. Good beer selection. Service was very good.

• Visited January 2013
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Nice decor, great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

The outside of Cal's Wood-Fired Grill is a bit deceiving as it is somewhat underwhelming. Inside is a completely different story - it's beautiful inside! Very nice bar, large linen covered tables and decent lighting.

I went there mid-afternoon when it was pretty much empty and was given the dinner menu. Prices ranged up to $29 for steak, probably reasonable as this is a nice place. My daughter ordered a pizza, very good, and I ordered the fish and chips, also very good. Portions were substantial. We were given bread right out of the oven, so hot the rolls were hard to hold but the smell and taste were delicious. Service was excellent.

One oddity: there were no salt and pepper shakers on any of the tables! As we were about to leave one of the waitresses started returning them. Obviously she had finished filling them for the dinner rush. Why we were seated at a table without a pepper shaker is the reason I did not give this place a five star rating. Details make a difference to this diner!

Agawam, ma
“Best around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Best restaurant around. Excellent service. Very friendly staff and owners. Clean and beautiful inside. Food is great. We like many things on the menu here but suprisingly the wings are best we have had anywhere. Steaks and seafood are awesome. Apple strudel is great desert here.

• Visited December 2012