“Disappointing - Mold in the bathroom, screws on the carpet, chaotic breakfast experience”

Residence Inn West Springfield
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in West Springfield
Rutherford, New Jersey
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn West Springfield this past weekend on a trip to visit family. With a one year-old, we enjoy the spaciousness of the rooms at Residence Inn as well as the convenience of having a kitchen available to prepare the baby's meals.
This was a one-night stay. While the room looked attractive and fairly clean, we spotted screws on the carpet near the bed. Fortunately, we are in the habit of checking the floors before allowing our child to run loose in the room and very glad that we did so. He could have stepped on the screws and been injured through his socks or could have put them in his mouth.
When we woke the next morning and showered, we noticed A LOT of mold on the ceiling of the shower. There was also mold in the corners of the the bathtub, as well as mold streaks in the toilet.... lots of black mold -- it was really disgusting.
Now... as for breakfast. The setup was just all wrong. There was very little space to move around and the location of the waffle-maker caused an uncomfortable back-up, to the point where it was nearly impossible to access the other food without saying "excuse me" over and over again and rubbing up against other guests. There were no sausage patties (for quite a while) and the guests had to go through the drawers for sugar, cream, etc because the items had not been replenished on the counter. While there was plenty of space to add furniture, there were not enough tables/chairs and we ended up eating outside by the car.
After the mold and the dismal breakfast experience, we just wanted to hit the road and leave the hotel behind.
When we checked in, the staff was pleasant and helpful and the maids were courteous in the hallways. It's a great location with welcoming staff, but mold + screws + the breakfast experience are just not acceptable.

Room Tip: Check the bathroom ceiling and toilet for mold before settling in.
2 Thank Monicuba23
Tammy D, Manager at Residence Inn West Springfield, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear valued guest,
Please know that your stay with us was not typical. We pride ourselves on providing you with a clean comfortable room. It appears that we failed you. I apologize that you found spots in your bathroom, and screws on the floor. I assure you that our hotel does not have an issue with mold, and if we missed any mildew spots, I will surely address it with our housekeeping department. We take any and all guest concerns very seriously. If you ever have a concern while staying with us, please see one of our friendly staff members and we will surely take care of the matter.
Regarding your breakfast experience, space can be limited and it can get very busy towards the end of breakfast. During high occupancy days we always staff an extra person and try to keep up with food requests as quickly as possible. I apologize that you had to wait for any breakfast items. The make your own waffle station is one of our more popular items and although we have 2 waffle makers, the demand for our delicious waffles can sometimes causes a line to form.
We hope that you give us another chance and let us prove to you that we can provide you with the service you come to expect from Marriott.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lyme, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 20, 2013

While I liked this hotel and had a decent stay in general, there were several serious short-comings that stood out:

1) the refrigerator in our room did not work correctly. The freezer section worked fine, but the fridge section did not actually cool our food and beverages. My daughter said the fridge was "stinky" and I agreed. I asked hotel staff twice for help over the course of a day, and it never came. Once was with the front desk staff, and the second time was with a gentleman in blue (custodial staff?) who used his radio to tell someone to go fix it ASAP. Again, no one ever came to look at our fridge. As a result, we had to throw away a fair amount of food. When I checked out and mentioned this, the front desk gentleman seemed genuinely surprised that I never received help.

2) Fold-out couch mattress toppers. Our daughter slept on the fold-out mattress, and she was very uncomfortable with how poor the mattress was covering the underlying bars. I went to the front desk and asked for a mattress topper, but was told the hotel does not stock any. We did receive some quilts and blankets to use, which was nice. However, I don't think this shouldn't have happened at all at a Residence Inn, since during a recent stay at the Newington, NH Residence Inn, the fold-out bed my daughter used was quite comfortable and received no complaints.

3) The breakfast experience was disappointing. It seems that the breakfast staff was overwhelmed and needed more workers. For example, staff were unable to keep up with demand for disposable plates and utensils. The first day, guests were milling around for minutes with their food waiting for more forks to appear. The next day, all the styrofoam plates were gone for five minutes. I observed that staff glanced and noticed their absence, but did not get more from the cabinet underneath and restock them. Once I realized that was where the plates were were kept, I went and got them myself and put them out, to the happiness of other guests. Furthermore, trashcans in the area were routinely completely filled, and had waste poking out through their openings. All in all, this made the breakfast area look very disappointing.

4) Minor - Cold water pressure on the kitchen sink was about 25% that of hot water pressure. Maybe a valve is incorrectly turned somewhere.

Dear valued guest,
Please know that we take any and all guest concerns very seriously. Since you reported your concerns at the time of your check out they have been resolved. We have replaced the couch in the room and have fixed the refrigerator problem.
I do apologize for breakfast being not being stocked up to demand. We staff 2 employees during high occupancy days and it is our intention to have them keep up with the demand. I will surely share your comments with my breakfast staff in order to try and find a way for them to be more efficient.
We hope that you do not let your stay with us deter you from staying at Residence Inn in the future. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband had to be in the Springfield area for over 3 months on business. I visited him and loved the people, the room and the food. We both feel that some of the workers (Donna and Lydia) are like family now.

Room Tip: The room we had faced a wall of trees (4th floor). Loved the privacy and the sunlight coming in the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LouiseFL
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.
cupey
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed there for almost 2 weeks front desk and Hk are excellent my only complaint was that a remote control of a ps3 got broke when I came back from work but no biggie The food is good grill is also a plus and room had kitchen with all appliance necessary

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank MrVacation85
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

A standard Residence Inn, but I thought this one was nicely managed. The little things that set some Residence Inns apart were all there. The hotel is tucked away and not clearly visible from the road, but your GPS should get you there. There is a good Mexican restaurant right next door. It’s a simple walk. As my title suggests, the hotel is very convenient to I-91.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in "02" put you on the end (corner) near the parking lot and the stairwell.
NYC
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good value hotel. Nice room, good breakfast, pleasant staff, good location.

Just two downsides:
1-wifi crashed for 2 hours on a Sun morning
2-they had no basketball hall of fame discount tickets (even though they promoted them).

In sum, good value hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We regularly go to Residence Inns when we travel because our past experiences with them have been very good -- clean, well-appointed rooms, good breakfast included, generally well-maintained and manageably priced accommodations and facilities. We chose to come here for 1 night en route in a long-weekend trip.

That said, this hotel is getting tired and was just not up to par. The big issue was the bed, which was very soft. We should absolutely have changed rooms, but took the chance. My back is still paying the price 4 days later.

The staff was very nice and most other aspects of the facility were OK. But I will never go to a hotel without checking the bed as soon as I enter the room and changing rooms if it isn't good enough.

Oh yes, one of the things we've always enjoyed in prior visits at Residence Inns was the more leisurely time allowed for breakfast. But here and in the other RI we stayed at later in this trip, we noticed that breakfast times were shorter by at least one hour, causing more crowds, shortage of seating space, an often frenzied press for food supplies, and diminished comfort overall.

Room Tip: Check the bed. Either go early to breakfast or be prepared... Fitness center only OK, and small. Di...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#3 of 17 in West Springfield
Clarion Hotel & Aqua Lagoon Water Park
Clarion Hotel & Aqua Lagoon Wate...
#10 of 17 in West Springfield

Been to Residence Inn West Springfield? Share your experiences!