“Getting too pricey”
Review of The Big E

The Big E
Reviewed October 2, 2013

It cost way too much and nothing ever changes, the same thing year after year. This was our last year, too far to go for what's there! Just to get through the Main Gate, it costs two people, $40! I can't see how some people can afford to take the family and kids? You would think with all the money they bring in, they could keep prices down.

All reviews
in 20 reviews
"maple syrup"
"carnival rides"

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I brought my entire family, including my 85 year old father-in-law and 10 month granddaughter, to the Big E this year. Granted, it was a little challenging for my father-in-law, but he had a scooter to zip from one type of food to the other. Seriously, we all had a great time enjoying the state buildings, the horse shows, the rides, and, of course, the food. It's a great place to go this time of year and very affordable.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

What to say? Plan on a full day. we were there almost 8 hours. The food is incredible if you ignore the calorie and cholesterol count...If you want to buy a hot tub this is the place to go. lol...I had chili and chowders in a bread bowl. Fried EVERYTHING!!! Lots of places to get a beer. You can walk around all day drinking and eating. Excellent parade in the afternoon. Vendors selling everything from clothes to boogie boards...One of our favorite day trips year after year.

TIP: avoid weekend traffic, only 2 one lane roads in and out of there. go during the week, get there early...Also at $15 the admission is a little steep. get discount tickets at Big Y suermarkets in advance.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visit the Big E three times a year every year.
This year I didn't try any of the new foods, but stuck with reliable favorites. Billie's Baked Potatoes, Maine baked potatoes and EB's chicken are great. Food prices (some) went up this year. I tried a turkey leg which was WAY too salty and it cost me $10! Beer went up to $6.50 and bottled water is now $3.00. It is ok, I know it will cost going. The workers everywhere are pleasant, the midway of rides is fun, and the beauty of the place really comes alive after dark. One complaint....the bathrooms. They are not only deteriorated, but filthy, much worse than previous years. The men using these bathrooms are disgusting pigs, I can't imagine their homes. Also, I noticed a few bathrooms didn't have hot water. Putting this aside, if you can tolerate crowds, dirty men's rooms, and expensive food/drinks, you will have a great time. The good far outweighs the bad.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was actually my 2nd year going to The Big E Fair. Last year it took us hours just to try and see everything this place had to offer and we didn't even get on any rides! LOL This year it took us less time to see everything because we kind knew the lay of the land. So, we already purchased our entry tix into the park online and off we went. Tons of carnival foods and things one would never think to eat. They have funnel cakes, elephant ears, doughnuts with icecream inside, salmon on a stick, corn dogs etc. Heart attack and artery clogging central! No I did not try all of these things this year, but I did have the friend cheesecake with strawberries. Just FABULOUS!!! The potato at the Massachusetts House was great!! I had one with everything on it. As you can see my main purpose for coming here is for the different foods, the shopping and the sites.

There is also a huge flea market and I was disappointed this year because the perfume section of the flea market wasn't there. They had good deals on perfume last year.

There are also shows for the family like magic and animal shows and a parade which starts around 5pm I believe. As I said we never get on the rides and you won't be bored if you don't as there are plenty of things to do there for everyone of all ages.

*Tips*-Buy your tickets to enter the fair online because the lines get long once there.
Bring comfortable walking shoes and clothes to wear
Pace yourself with the food cause it is sooo tempting to try eveything

Been to The Big E? Share your experiences!