“Make a pot of spaghetti instead.”
Review of Villa Roma

Villa Roma
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Orleans, MA
“Make a pot of spaghetti instead.”
Reviewed September 19, 2008

If, like me, you thought that the Villa Roma was a charming pizza place you'd be wrong as a huge sign informs you at the entrance along with the fact that children are not welcome. Fine by me we were meeting another couple and looking for a glass of wine. There is absolutely no place to stand, sit, or lean while waiting for your table as every available space is set for dining. All the regular stuff chicken parm and marsala - food dissapointing, service just ok, drunken owner camped out at bar, you can do much better than this ramshackle place. Make a pot of spaghetti, buy a bottle of wine, and watch some Cheers re-runs at least the characters at the bar will be friendly.

2 Thank mecodo

Northern Virginia
“Don't eat here, much better places on the cape”
Reviewed September 14, 2007

I've eaten at Villa Roma twice while on the Cape. The first time the service was okay (though slooow) but the food was very salty. It is very loud and cramped in this restaurant, which is fine for people that want to be practically touching their neighboor but I personally like to hear the person sitting across from me and not be on top of other diners.

I figured I'd give the place another try when on the Cape this week. I went with my elderly grandmother. It was very crowded and the owner who is the host, told us it would be 45 minutes before a table was ready (after I had to ask twice). I said ok and put my name on the list. Because it was jam packed and there was no seating available for my grandmother who can't stand for long periods of time, we went to wait it out in the car outside. I came in 20 minutes later to check on the status, and was told by the owner that he had called us (early) and we weren't there. He made a big scene about it too, being very dramatic and all. I explained to him that he had no seating to accomodate the elderly (good luck if you are with someone who is handicapped!) so we were waiting in the car. I was shocked by his rudeness and sarcasm, I couldn't believe that was the OWNER.

It seems others (3 people) have had a decent meal here (though the owner doesn't seem to be winning any points) but I wouldn't recommend a place who is rude to it's customers. There are much better places to eat on the Cape where the food is consistantly excellent and the service is better.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Eccentric owner...Harry”
Reviewed June 23, 2007

278 Route 28, West Harwich, MA 02671 Phone 508-432-6868 on cape cod. The owner is great. Harry.. a little off the wall but a great host. Enjoy some fine italian food. Small restaurant.

boston
“An Italian gem on Cape Cod!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2007

My sisters an I dined here for the first time on Friday evening and we are looking forward to going back. Friday evening was a cold, damp, rainy night on Cape Cod with very heavy downpours.We were staying in Brewster for the weekend and were about 20-25 minutes away from this restaurant. We ventured out to Villa Roma at the recommendation of a friend and are we glad we did. Even on a lousy rainy night there was still a wait for tables which indicates to me that the place is worth the wait. (Our party of three only waited about 15 minutes for a table. )
Our entrees were served with a choice of soup or salad. The generous salad made with fresh greens (no iceberg in sight) was complemented with a homemade vinagrette dressing. My sister chose the Italian wedding soup and was not disappointed!! A loaf of hot, fresh from the oven bread was also served. They do charge a nominal fee for additional loaves of bread, but if you are truly a bread lover, it is worth the charge...
For entrees, one sister chose the lasagna which contained meatballs, sausage, spinach and a tasty blend of cheeses. The portion was quite generous. My other sister chose the veal marsala and I chose the chicken marsala. Both dishes were served over capellini (very very thin spaghetti) and contained a generous serving of mushrooms. The marsala demi glaze was out of this world. The waitress told us the reduction for the demi glaze takes two days to simmer which is why it is so flavorful...I also liked that the marsala was the only sauce used in the dish. Most restaurants serve the pasta as a side dish with a red sauce which doesn't allow you to appreciate the full taste of the marsala...not so at Villa Roma. They do the marsala so well that it stands on its own and they want you to appreciate the flavor of it.
The restaurant itself is cozy in size and is located in a non-descript house. You would definately ride right by this gem if you didn't know the address. There is plenty of on-site parking. The staff was very friendly and efficient. Entrees are in the $14 - $20 range and include the soup or salad.
The quality, quantity and flavor of the food makes this a definate place to return to on my next visit to Cape Cod.

1 Thank phily
Fairfax, VA
“Best Italian on the cape”
Reviewed February 7, 2007

Worth the wait in the summer and even better in the off season! My husband and I love to find these gems when we travel -- great food in a homey atmosphere. Located in a converted house in Harwich, Villa Roma serves up the best chicken marsala this side of the North End. The pastas are fabulous and we have not been disappointed on any specials, like the monster veal chop. Be warned that in the summer, you will have a bit of a wait for a table but you can hang out on the front patio or wait inside at the bar and enjoy the smells coming out of the kitchen.

R. Victor, Fairfax, VA