“A long wait, interesting waitress, and delicious food”
Review of Villa Roma

Villa Roma
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“A long wait, interesting waitress, and delicious food”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Over the last several years my wife and I have tried several restaurants in this region of the Cape but not this one. We decided to give it a try because of the good reviews on TA.

With another couple we arrived at Villa Roma about 6:30 on a weekday. As soon as we opened the door we were hit with a wall of noise – the entrance area was packed with people talking, clearly having a good time. The hostess told us that we would have to wait 25 – 30 minutes for a table and she suggested that we get drinks and take them outside to some chairs and tables at the front of the building. This area was for waiting and having drinks; no food was served there.
The waiting area is about 10 yards away from Route 28, a main road but there is a line of tall, dense hedges between the two. The passing vehicles were not a concern nor a distraction. It was a pleasant way to wait for our table.

About 50 minutes later we returned inside to ask about our table. We were told that a group was preparing to leave and, once the table had been cleaned and set up, we would be seated. That took another 10 minutes.

When our waitress came over we asked if it was busy like this every night. She told us that she didn’t know, that this was her first night at Villa Roma and she was filling in for a friend who was supposed to work that night. Our waitress told us that usually she worked at the Chatham Squire and if we wanted to see busy we should go there. When she left with our order, we agreed that there was something different about her speaking. She was speaking to us with words and tone as if we were preschool children and she was the teacher. This was confirmed when she came to take our meal order. She listed the available salad dressing options once or twice. When she asked for my order I included the salad dressing before she could ask. She complemented me in her teacher voice “Oh, good listening.” Later we had to ask for bread. She put it on the table as if she were giving us a reward. We weren’t sure if we should be offended by her or amused. We decided to be amused. Each time she would return to the table and say something or ask a question, we looked at each other and smiled.

A short part of this review, and the most important, is about the food. These are the meals we ordered: Chicken Marsala, Bolognese, Sausage and Peppers, and Eggplant Parmesan. We all felt the same way: the food was excellent.

We will return to Villa Roma but, next time, we will call ahead for a reservation. In spite of the amusement our waitress provided, I’d rather have a different one.

• Visited August 2013

Kingston, New York
“My Italian relatives .....”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Would love this place. I had the chicken piccata which I frequently order in restaurants. This was nicely done with lots of capers and a generous portion , to boot. This was my third visit there and find it warm and cozy , yet clean and professional. A pleasure to dine there.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Villa Roma...Fantastico!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

For all the reasons that set a restaurant apart from another, Villa Roma is a winner in every category. From the intimate, home-like setting to the personal unobtrusive service performed with a genuine sense of professionalism and pride due in part to an experienced wait staff, there is no better Italian restaurant in Harwich/Chathham area. I had the good fortune of offering the first TripAdvisor Review of this establishment years ago and last night only confirmed that the food quality, preparation, portions and presentation clearly deserves every possible accolade afforded by this website. The Haddock dinner special deserves a special mention as it was perhaps the most delicious fish preparation I have ever had. The Marinara sauce is simply perfect...robust but not overpowering. Prices are average for the Cape but knowing the experience of a fine evening out, it is worth every cent. There are more expensive restaurants on Rt 28 that can't come close to having an authentic Italian dinner at Villa Roma! Opened year round, it sets a benchmark for restaurants in Cape Cod!

• Visited August 2013
Painesville, Ohio
“A Gem”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We ate at this restaurant based on trip advisor reviews and the recommendation of Pam and Steve at A Beach Breeze Inn. The service was efficient, but didn't make us feel rushed. She was pleasant and offered suggestions.

The food was fantastic! My husband ordered the lasagna and I had the eggplant. I actually enjoyed the pasta and marinara sauce more than the eggplant, although it was good as well. The servings are huge. I barely put a dent in my dinner. My husband enjoyed his meal too, especially the sausage in the lasagna.

Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Casual dining experience with good food”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I had dinner with 3 friends on a very busy Thursday evening. I called to let the host know we were running about 15-30 min. late for our reservation due to heavy mid-cape traffic. She was gracious; told me ok and to get there as soon as possible. When we arrived, people were standing out on the porch, drinking cocktails, and waiting for a table. I thought for sure we lost our reservation. I was pleasantly surprised to learn our table was waiting for us! We enjoyed a cocktail before dinner at our table and all had enjoyable dishes. I had the fish special which was very good but covered with too much pasta. Other guest had veal and pasta dishes. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Even though the restaurant was very busy we were not rushed and felt good about the pace of our service. Villa Roma is a small and popular restaurant -- it is a very loud place and has a hectic atmosphere. I will return, but do prefer Bucca a few miles down the road. I think Bucca's food and and atmosphere are superior.

• Visited July 2013