“Awful experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in West Dennis
Boston, Massachusetts
“Awful experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and me stayed there for 1 night (we needed 1 night to spend on Cape Cod to help our daughter to settle with 2 little kids in rented condo, so we wanted to be near by). Location was very good to get everywhere we needed at that time. We requested no-smoking room, but room on the 1st floor that we got in had awful smell, carpet was dirty, and in the bathroom was wet towels from previous guest. We had our door open untilll the dark, hoping the smell will dissapear, no way!
They promised coffer and mufins in the morning, but when I stop by, all was gone.
In addition, when we checked in, I felt the alcogol smell from the owner.
We did not sleep at all at this horrible place for the price of 189$ with tax.

Room Tip: Please avoid this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Nisn63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

The pictures posted on travel sites and the reviews of other customers do not represent the true nature of this hotel. The rooms are very small with an exposed concrete wall at the head. The odor when entering the room is overpowering and no amount of fresh air gets rid of it. The tv is old, small, and barely visible from the bed. The linens are old with some stains, the pillows are paper thin, and mattress is uncomfortable as well. The whole place could use a serious make over and upgrades. Next time we will spend the extra money and stay somewhere more comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank sjc621

Travelers are raving about these West Dennis hotels

Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the Barnacle on a whim. We stopped there due to location and wanted to stay in the area longer. The location is what we needed, the price is what we needed, and they had parking for our boat and trailer. They were accommodating. They had a fridge for our cheese and drinks, all ready for our wine to wind down with. The stay was only for one night only and to sleep after a long day sight seeing and the next days long journey home. The location for site seeing to beaches highways and other towns was good. The bed was a bit hard for us, we could have changed rooms but we didn't. The price was right, a bit noisy with others over head but it solved all our basic needs,...and it was really cheap. So saty on the second floor if you need to. We got what we paid for and had a laugh about it later but it was clean and had amenties so it depends on your own needs at the time,...don't complain unless you want to pay more or do something about it. A decent establishment.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor and check to see how hard the bed is, and change rooms if need be.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Everything we needed and wanted. The room was clean, refrigerator larger than most (and clean), free wi-fi, we requested and received first floor, coffee and muffins each morning, surprisingly quiet inside and outside the rooms, pool was immaculate. We sat outside while my husband smoked his cigar (ALL non-smoking rooms which we love) and owner came to chat with us. He has a great attitude about not renting a room he would not sleep in and he does not tolerate guests disturbing other guests (a definite plus) late at night. Owner obviously takes great pride in his place and keeps the prices low. Located .4 miles from Christmas Tree Shop, 1 mile from Cubby's, near the beach and plenty of options for shopping and eating. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We are "seniors" so we asked for first floor to make it easier to load/unload car. Noise f...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed in August with kids and it was a great experience. Rooms are big, clean and the owner and staff are very nice. Location is great if you are not interested to be right on the beach with many shops and restaurants nearby. The value is amazing for this motel and what it offers. Located right on RT28 but still quite and relaxing. We ll definatelly stay again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rochdale, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

What I disliked about this place was how while I was checking in, the owner felt it was appropriate to berate me for other people's behavior for things that took place the night before which I had nothing to do with seeing as though I wasn't physically there. In fact, my stay was in jeopardy before I even arrived to check in because the owner lacks customer service, diplomacy, and professionalism. It was uncalled for and it was insulting. If it wasn't a weekend night I would have taken my business elsewhere. I was embarrassed that this lecture took place in front of other guests as well. All additional 8 check-ins received the same type of treatment. The owner never identified himself, so I just assumed that he was the owner based on his arrogance and scolding that he projected onto me for events that transpired before my arrival. He threatened me with calling the local police if there would be any issues for noise which again hadn't taken place because it was 1pm in the afternoon. I left with an extremely poor taste in my mouth, and I feel bad for anyone that has spent their money there. I purposely didn't use the pool or even stay in the room until it was time that I retire for the evening because I felt like the owner was out to get me doing something that had violated our conversation earlier in the day. It was odd that I saw the owner's son walking around the perimeter late at night once I stepped foot onto the property. Of course, I was charged more than what was confirmed via email. The owner discriminated against me because he assumed due to my youth that I automatically was going to be trouble. It was supposed to be a fun trip that this experience put a damper on. This was my worst experience staying at a hotel in my life.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Howard C
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have stayed in several other hotels nearby as I visit my mother every year. This one is my favorite. The owners and staff are eager to help. The rooms and the property are spotless and for July on the Cape, the price is fantastic. Muffins and coffee in the morning. Although it is along route 28 and I was expecting road noise, it is set back and was surprising quiet. The towels could have been thicker but they were plentiful. I will come back to this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
#8 of 21 in South Yarmouth
The Club at Cape Cod
The Club at Cape Cod
#6 of 19 in Dennis Port

Been to GuestLodge? Share your experiences!