“VERY DISAPOINTED” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 West Dennis B&B and Inns
Norwich, Connecticut
“VERY DISAPOINTED”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I wanted to take my husband somewhere special for his birthday. We had driven by the Lighthouse Inn yesterday and thought it looked beautiful- really nice view. When we first went into the restaurant and went up to the hostess she asked us if we had reservations- I said no- she said she would have to check to see if we could be seated. When she came back she said she did have a table for us. I ordered the Cape Cod Chicken dish and the corn chowder as an appetizer and my husband ordered the Lobster pastry special. The corn chowder was good. When the meal came I noticed it was not very hot- barely warm- the baked potato was not fully done- it was a little hard and the carrots were real al dente with no flavor. My husband's meal was one little puff pastry with no chunks of lobster- just maybe some minced lobster in it and again his meal was not hot. The waiter never came over during the meal to see how we were doing so when he came at the end and asked us if we wanted dessert we said no way- the meal was not good at all- he did ask if we wanted to speak with the manager and we said yes. The manager did come over and we explained everything- he offered dessert and we again said no thank you- he did comp our meals. We had to go find dessert so we could celebrate my husband's birthday- I guess we will have to find a better place tomorrow and celebrate a day later.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CountryDeb
LighthouseInnCapeCod, Manager at Lighthouse Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. Certainly we would have wanted for you to have a delightful birthday meal for your husband, and send our sincere apologies for the meal not being up to par. As we do try to seat patrons with or without reservations, the hostess typically will check first in order to confirm there will not be a long wait time. I do agree the server should have been more attentive in checking on you and your husband throughout your meal, as if this was done we may have been able to prepare a new meal hot and guarentee it stayed covered til served to your table in order to ensure the temperature would keep. We apologize these proper steps were not taken and the manager not alerted immediately, we would have hopes a dessert would have been enjoyable, but do understand your dissappoint and would like to extend the invitation to come back at another time to dine with us, in order to enjoy a well prepared meal and exceptional service that lacked on your first visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hackettstown, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Just returned from 4 nights at the Lighthouse Inn. While I cannot truly complain about this property, I can say that my husband I agree that we would not stay there again. While it is true that this property offers a charm all it's own, charm does not validate the price tag. The location is nice, but everything, including the grounds, are in dire need of a facelift. It offers a variety of amenities, which "on paper", sound wonderful. The reality of these amenities, however, leave something to be desired. The whole place feels a bit, disjointed, and honestly, falls somewhat closer on the hotel spectrum to the camping vibe than it does the resort vibe.
A few examples to illustrate my point... A) the "private beach" sounds great, right? In reality, no one seemed to find the hard packed sand, somewhat stale, teeny tiny, square of sand all that appealing, and my guess is that many, like us, chose to spend $20 to park at the close town beach for the day. B) the mini-golf course is just a few patches of putting green with red flags kinda stuck next to the pool. C) the pool was very clean, and there were plenty of chairs, but the whole thing is enclosed within a glass barrier (yes, glass), and while it was pleasant once inside this glass enclosure, it was odd nonetheless). Also, the "heated pool", was FREEZING, and there is no lifeguard.
While this may all sound, somewhat, nit picky, my honest opinion is that this property did not match my expectations. I spent considerable time researching Cape Cod hotels and Inns to find, just the right spot for my family, and I left feeling disappointed. I knew the second we opened the door to our very average room, that my husband was resigned to feeling, as he said immediately, that it was, "FINE". Everything, was just ok. They seem like they are trying, and everything, is almost there, but it all just falls short.
The rooms are mostly clean (unidentifiable stains on the rug, the lampshades and the pillow cases), but with particle board furniture (4 drawers and one closet in a room with a King and double bed), and tragically uncomfortable beds, our room was underwhelming. We stayed in the Lookout, an odd, motor inn type building with an even odder assortment of outdoor furniture scattered around the lawn. Parking was a nightly ordeal, and we actually discovered, that as a result of the tight parking (no allocated spots), that our car suffered two dings from other cars overnight.
Breakfast is nice, but because the restaurant is so badly in need of an update, it too, left us a bit deflated. The staff is cheery, friendly and welcoming, and that does help, but again, it all felt a bit like a campground.
After exploring the Cape a bit more, I found myself wishing that I had had the benefit of an honest review of this property. They didn't do anything wrong, and they are not ripping anyone off, but if you are looking for a resort like experience on Cape Cod, you should look elsewhere. There are many families out there for whom this place might be perfect. They do offer an adorable kids program, but our child was too young to participate, and the cottages seemed to be a more unique offering, but I cannot speak to those plusses. It's cute, it's charming, it tries to be great, yet sadly, tragically, it just isn't great. With a little TLC, and the tiniest bit of updating, it can be great. For the prices of these rooms, I expected great. What I got was memorable, but not for the right reasons. When you walk away from a hotel and refer to it as a, "lesson learned", something was wrong. No hard feelings. No anger. Just an honest review of an average place with great potential to be much more.

Room Tip: I gather that the cottages are the way to go here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jazzmn74
LighthouseInnCapeCod, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly dissappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been and the ammeniies were not as you expected. Your detailed review is truly appreciated as it provides us with a true guest perspective of which ammenities may need attention. We will certainly take your suggestions into consideration when evaluating updates we may be able to accommodate. At close of each season, our staff is diligently working in an effort to make the necessary renovations so guests can truly enjoy their vacation at the Lighthouse Inn for continuous years. The most recent building to have had a facelift was the Breezeway just this Spring, Our efforts to continue to renovate each guest room building and property ammenity will continue. Our miniature golf is smaller in order to accommodate many other activities on property and lawn space for guest to enjoy such as: tennis, basketball, playground, shuffleboard & volleyball. I apologize for the temperature of the pool not have been turned up, as this could of been done by our maintenance staff during your staff as guests have requested for cooler temp on days when weather was hotter, so i do aploigize. The West Dennis public beach is accessible by a walk through path from our property in order to avoid paying the $20 parking fee, as they do provide limited hours where lifeguards are available during the peak summer months. I am glad to hear the staff was welcoming and friendly, as we strive to continuosly provide exceptional customer service.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back in the future in being able to go over in detail the buildings with newest renovations that may accommodate your family better. Once again please do accept my apologies as I do hope the remainder of your trip to Cape Cod was most enjoyable
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Location, staff, facilities were great!
From main house to cottages great accommodations. Plenty to do with ocean, pool, tennis courts, mini golf for children, beach volleyball. Great value for money, restaurant overlooking ocean, great sunset dinners. Would love to return.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LighthouseInnCapeCod, Manager at Lighthouse Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and were able to partake in many of the activities available on Property. Along with enjoying the meals out along the oceanfront. We look forward to your return.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I come to the Cape every summer at least once. The Lighthouse Inn restaurant has been our special place to eat, relax and enjoy the view. Our first visit a few summers ago was great! Great service, decent food and an awesome ocean view. We even joined a sing along downstairs! Unfortunately, since then we have not had that great service or even decent food. Our most recent visit may have been our last. The service was slow and inattentive... I never even got a refill on my water! The vegetables did not taste good, or fresh as they claimed. Also, my daughters $5 kids mac and cheese was clearly straight from a box. Just disappointing given the high prices and fantastic location. I expected A LOT more.

• Stayed August 2012
Phoenix
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Do not plan an event here. I was going to get married here on August 11, 2012 and my brother (and best man) fell extremely ill and this place is refusing to refund any money. It's not like they are out any money, they haven't even started cooking the food when we had notified them at the end of July. They don't have to set up for the wedding now, so they are not out any money. I just hope if anyone working there has a family member that becomes deathly ill, they won't have to go through the hell this place is putting me and my family through. My brother is still in the hospital and he has had 3 brain surgeries to date. How heartless of Lighthouse Inn and shame on you. I would have re-booked with them at a later date, but because of how heartless they are being, I would not be comfortable getting married here, as they have added even more stress in my and my families life even more difficult and I don't believe they care about their customers or people. Lighthouse Inn is HEARTLESS.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rainy Z
Duxbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just came back from a weekend at the Lighthouse Inn and we had a wonderful time. Great for families, friends and couples. Right on the beach but there is so much more to do...pool, jet skiing, kayaking...and it is located right near town. Beautiful area and comfortable ambiance. Looks a bit old fashioned from the outside but our room was modern, spacious and comfortable. We stayed in the Lookout but next time are planning to rent a bunch of cottages and bring the kids. The only thing we were disappointed in is not being able to make an early reservation for dinner to be sat on the deck. Suggestion: make it early if you are going to eat there. Great service, great time and would DEFINITELY go back again. I wish I was still there!

Room Tip: The Lookout looks deceiving from the outside but the room was huge with a king size and queen size b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
lighthouseinncapecod, Manager at Lighthouse Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for the positive review of the Lighthouse Inn. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our Lookout room and took note all the activities available on our property for your family to hopefully come back and enjoy. It is unfortunate you were not able to dine on the deck as I do know the restaurant has been extremely busy the last few weeks with so many large familes. We have hopes you will return with your children and prehaps enjoy a cottage and dine outside on our deck overlooking Nantucket Sound during your stay.
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Brought our son and his family with 2 young children. We had gone to the Lighthouse Inn when our children were young and always loved it. This is the type of facility where you park your car and throw away your keys. Everything you need is right there, fabulous beach, clean outdoor pool with a snack bar, little kiddie golf course, game room, candy bars, the biggest breakfast buffet included, spectacular dining, huge veranda facing ocean for cocktails and great service always. You have to see it to believe it. Lots of different buildings but all shingle style, cape cod like. Not the cheapest but the best and worth every penny.
Gloria

Room Tip: If you want to wake up hearing the ocean ask for Oceanside cottages or guest house.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LighthouseInnCapeCod, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted your family enjoyed their time at the Lighthouse Inn. We have many families that return after years and are able to have their children enjoy the charm of Lighthouse Inn as they did while young. A True Cape Cod experience! We continue to look into more ways we can provide the ultimate Cape Cod vacation for our guests & familes, while still not losing the charm and history of the Inn. We hope you and your family continue the tradition for years to come, enjoying your time together on Cape Cod at the Lighthouse Inn.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Dennis
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,192 reviews
Corsair and Cross Rip Oceanfront

Been to Lighthouse Inn? Share your experiences!