“disapointing”
Review of High Pointe Inn

High Pointe Inn
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I are seasoned travelers, but relatively new to B&B’s. That being said, we have had wonderful stays at charming B&B’s in Estes Park, CO; Kennebunkport, ME; Charleston, SC, Washington, GA; and, Savannah, GA. Unfortunately, for us, the High Pointe Inn did not meet the same standards as the B&B’s from our previous experiences. High Pointe IS NOT charming. It is a 60’s style small home that has been converted to an Inn. Although clean, its appointments are bare. The floor covering that was in our room can best be likened to that which you find in a commercial office. Thin and made for traffic. The photos of the rooms on tripadvisor are misleading. Intended to present charm and appeal when in fact they are just plain. The owners, Rich and Debbie, are friendly but in a formal way. We did not find them warm or hospitable. Upon arriving at High Pointe, Rich asked if I “needed help” in taking our bags up to our room, rather than grabbing a bag and helping. The sincerity just wasn’t there. The night before our departure, I had difficulty printing our boarding passes from the guest computer so I buzzed Rich on the house phone to see if he had any ideas (this was the first and only time during our stay I attempted to reach him). He didn’t answer so I left a message that I wasn’t able to print my passes. (I am an engineer and adept at computers so was eventually able to solve the problem on my own.) The next morning I went down to the kitchen where Rich and Debbie were preparing breakfast, to let them know I had worked the problem out. When I knocked on the kitchen door and poked my head in it was quite awkward. I was made to feel like I had intruded into their private space. Debbie was more interested in settling my bill before I left the Inn, than concerned that I hadn’t been able to print our passes (in fact, she or Rich never asked about my previous night’s problem, I had to bring it up). On the positive side, the breakfasts were very good and our fellow travelers were delightful. That the High Pointe Inn is rated so high and has received awards is a mystery to me. It doesn’t come close to others that have received tripadvisor’s highest rating.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank boatspapa
InnloverCapeCod, Owner at High Pointe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Let me start by thanking you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. When guests offer constructive criticism, caring innkeepers can make adjustments to suit the needs of our guests. We are disappointed that the quality of our accommodations and services did not meet your standards and sincerely apologize for not being at the Inn when you needed assistance with our printer. We were attending a charity event in support of our grandson’s pre-school. Whenever we leave the Inn we put a sign on the registration desk alerting our guests that we are out and leaving our cell phone number so that they can reach us in an emergency. Your message was left on our house phone and we did not retrieve the message until we returned to the Inn after 10PM, when we thought it best not to disturb you. We hoped to fix the problem with the printer before you came to breakfast in the in the morning, however you beat us to the punch. Thank you for sorting it out for us.

We value your opinion and take your comments to heart. However, we do want our future guests to know that our Inn was built in 1989 by local hoteliers as a traditional Cape Cod style home that was designed specifically to be a small, luxury inn catering to a discerning clientele. In our nine years as innkeepers here, we have remodeled every room in the Inn to the highest standards, along with the exterior and grounds. The photos on our website are genuine, taken by a professional photographer to capture an accurate picture of what we offer; some of the ones on trip advisor were taken by previous guests. Many of our guests tell us that the photos do not do the Inn justice, as they find the rooms more beautiful than they were expecting. We cherish all of the awards we have earned by providing quality accommodations and excellent customer service and trust that the trip advisor reviews and ratings other guests have given the Inn will serve our future guests well. We truly love what we do and hope that our guests appreciate our efforts to make each and every stay special. We hope to continue that tradition for many years to come.

Respectfully, Debbie and Rich Howard, Innkeepers

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in the Treetops Suite. The suite has absolutely everything you could need and was huge! There are French doors that lead out onto the deck area, which was a lovely relaxing and quiet place to sit in the evening. Debbie and Rich have provided a wonderful binder full of ideas of what to see and do, restaurant recommendations, suggested itineraries etc.

Breakfast was served in the main house, and was absolutely AMAZING! Whilst initially, we were a little disappointed that we couldn't have breakfast out on the deck area (incredibly hot when we were there), we very much enjoyed eating with the other guests in the main house, we met such a variety of interesting people. A fantastic menu and daily specials, were all cooked to order by Rich. Presentation and taste would rival any 5 star restaurant in my opinion. Tea, coffee, hot choc and delicious brownies were available later on in the day, all laid out, ready for you to help yourself.

Located about 10 minutes from town, but very close to lots of little restaurants and lovely to come back after a day out to such a relaxing environment.

I would highly recommend this B&B, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
InnloverCapeCod, Owner at High Pointe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Emma,

It was a pleasure to have you here at the Inn and we do hope you will be back soon. Thank you for your kind words. After 14 years of innkeeping, it's nice to know our guests still like what we have to offer.

All the best, Debbie and Rich

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here early in July and had the most wonderful time. Rich and Debbie open their house and share their knowledge like friends. Debbie is happy to suggest places to visit and provide written instructions how to get there. Rich provides the greatest breakfast. High Pointe is decorated beautifully. There is an abundance of information, CD's, DVD's,books,access to computer and internet, 24 hour tea/coffee and afternoon cakes. There is even binoculars and bird book in the bedroom, and beach chairs, tote and towels.
Would we return - YES - we would live there!!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you're looking for a home away from home while staying on the Cape, this is it! High Pointe Inn is situated in a scenice neighborhood in West Barnstable. It is more house than Inn. Nothing commercial about it. Debbie and Rich welcome you at the front door. They then give you a tour of the house in a way that makes it clear - this is your home to enjoy. You can help yourself to coffee, tea, ice, water, snacks, movies, book, magazines... just like you could at home. The rooms are decorated and furnished, just like home. Everything is clean and fresh, just like home.The only thing that wasn't just like home was the breakfast! Unless of course your home is staffed with a CIA trained chef who loves to make people happy. Rich, the owner/chef knows how to make a breakfast special. And you'll feel special when you sit down at the long table with the rest of the guests as Debbie and Rich spoil you with two courses of delicious breakfast treats. If home is where your heart is - you'll enjoy The High Pointe Inn.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

What an exceptionally lovely inn! There are only 4 rooms, 2 on the main floor, 2 on the second floor, on either side of the house which is in a residential neighborhood but with an isolated feel. 10 minute drive into town. Debbie and Rich, who live on the ground level, are on top of everything. They were right there when we needed a question answered or an arrangement made but were expert at being friendly without being intrusive in any way (that's sometimes what I don't like about staying in a small, family-owned inn - too close for comfort) So beautifully, personally decorated - imaginative, super clean, attention to detail exceptional. Individual heat and air controls; great linens and towels; spacious room. The grounds, tended by Rich, are beautiful. He also prepares the delicious, made to order breakfasts, served out on the deck at separate tables in nice weather, or at a large dining table inside. Great coffee. We booked a 2 night package which included a whale-watching excursion and dinner at a local restaurant: Belfry Inne and Bistro - a beautiful old converted church with outstanding food and service. All was efficiently arranged by Debbie, a font of information. We didn't want to leave... really.

Room Tip: The two second floor rooms have views of the water in the distance over the trees. The two first fl...
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Recently we spent four nights at the High Pointe Inn. The inn was immaculate.Our room was very large, the queen bed was extremely confortable, the bath room large with double sinks, granite tops.
Had our own private balocony. The breakfasts specials could not be resisted. Rich made pop overs to die for. Debbie made us feel as though we guest in her home. Each moring we would have coffee before breakfast in the large sitting room. They made and suggested dinner reservations. Each was better then the previous night. If you do not have GPS Rich and Debbie have written instructions to any site.
Debbie and Rich treated us as family. We could not have asked for any better service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and I have been to the Cape several times, stayed at several B&B's but none as nice as the High Pointe Inne. The room, deck, breakfasts and especially the Inn Keepers, Debbie & Rich made this stay exceptional. We have found our new place on the Cape that we will be going back to year after year. If you're looking for the best, this is "the one".

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Barnstable
Belfry Inn and Bistro
Belfry Inn and Bistro
#4 of 7 in Sandwich

Been to High Pointe Inn? Share your experiences!