“Front Row at the Captain's”

Captain Marden's Seafoods
Ranked #6 of 68 Restaurants in Wellesley
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charlotte
“Front Row at the Captain's”
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Guided here thru the previous reviews, found the name on menu to be The Captain's Table, yet web site is correct, so I'm at the right place. They call it "the Takeaway" to differentiate from the retail store (thankful info from friendly waitress).

I'm sitting at the counter of what looks like a fancy breakfast bar at a classy house. Cabinets and space has a wonderful "too many cooks in the kitchen" look, but they're working well together and no one seems to be in the way. Food passed out right across ledge from visible kitchen.

Thanks to biztraveler's review I was tempted to get the thick clam chowder, which I always judge seafood restaurant by. I walked on the wild side and had the seafood chowder instead. Excellent choice... and then I saw corn chowder with lobster soup!!! Next time.

They give you a tasty piece of corn bread when you sit down. Not too sweet. Waitress was attentive enough to not put my order in until I'd finished my bowl of soup, to "let [me] enjoy it." And so I did.

Had the broiled scrod. Moistest and most tender I've had. I even used their homemade tartar sauce (which I usually don't eat). Veg medley and rice pilaf all good. Waitress says they keep prices low because main business is supplying seafood to many restaurants in the area. And it's always good to be somewhere and a local person frequents... and gets welcomed by name. Another friendly guy sat next to me at the counter.

Burp!

Romford, United Kingdom
“Great fish and chips!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I visited Captain Marden's with my wife and her parents (who are regulars).

The restaurant was very busy, but had a very relaxed atmosphere. I don't believe they take reservations, so you may have to wait. But the wait is well worth it.

Being English, I naturally went for the fish and chips, and wasn't disappointed - they even had malt vinegar, for that authentic English touch!

They bring you cornbread and clam chowder while you're waiting for your meal. I'm no expert on these things, but my wife (who is from the area) informs me that they were both "to die for".

Wonderful food, and wonderful staff, especially the lovely Karen, who waited our table. I've never encountered such an engaging, friendly waitress before.

A great night out was had by all, and my wife and I will certainly be returning for more the next time we are in New England!

• Visited September 2012
Detroit, Michigan
“Super friendly and aim to please”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Dinner was excellent-high end diner. I heard it is the best breakfast in town, so I was chekcing it out.

Visited October 2012
Reston, Virginia
“Best fish!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Captain Marden's Seafoods, and Captain's Takeaway are awesome. The fish store has the freshest fish and great assortment. Nice, helpful staff. Have been going there for 20+ years. The Captain's Takeaway has terrific food. No frills, but pleasant atmosphere. Breakfast ranges from basic to yummy (crab in omlets/eggs benedict!). Lunch/dinner are great. Fried clams excellent, lobsters terrific, chowders to die for. Terrific value for the money. Always a great place to have a bite to eat.

Visited August 2012
Natick, Massachusetts
“best seafood in Wellesley”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This little gem is incredible. No matter your age you will feel like one of the youngest in the restaurant. Freshest and well prepared seafood at great prices. BYOB is the icing on the cake. Nothing fancy just good seafood. Give Mark my regards.

Visited August 2012