“Caution”

Ranked #2 of 2 Wellesley B&B and Inns
Albany, New York
“Caution”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Be very cautious before staying here...you just may end up sleeping on an air mattress. Also, you may have to share a bathroom with several others after you've been told you would have a private bath. You also may not be able to check into your room until 10 p.m. even if you arrive at 3:30 p.m. and try several times to get checked in before having to leave for dinner. You also may end up thinking that the breakfast will redeem everything, only to find yourself staring at store bought bagels and packages of butter and cream cheese. You then may just go around the corner to the bakery next to Whole Foods. That bakery is awesome. In hindsight, I should have slept in the car, then got to that bakery for breakfast.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank dg2377
WellesleyBnB, Owner at Wellesley Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
The husband and wife from Albany NY both posted on this site – here is what happened:

This room was not ready because it was NEVER confirmed. The guest was reminded a week prior to her requested check-in date that her check and gift certificate had not arrived and there was NO CONFIRMED reservation. Still neither a payment nor a deposit was provided to secure the room. I believed the guest had changed her plans. I was surprised to see her at my door.

Sold out, sold out, sold out - was what every lodging place in the area including myself was telling prospective guests for months before the busiest weekend of the year, the Boston Marathon. Because this guest was traveling with a toddler - it touched my heart, so I offered her family my private bedroom, which in the future will NOT be offered again under any circumstances. The description in advance included: entrance from rear of home, shared bath and plans to set aside my twin bed, setting up a sleep sofa with a high end Aero air mattress for extra comfort and covering my personal belongings with a coverlet to keep my things separated from the toddler.
In order to accommodate the surprise guest, I needed time to prepare and clean the room. Several hours prior to the customary 4 pm check-in time, she requested and was provided use of a shower and storage of their luggage.

Upon viewing the room, the guests requested a FREE night's stay. I suggested that they leave at that time if they did not want to be charged for lodging even though I had provided the services of a shower and storage of luggage earlier that afternoon. In an effort to please the guest I offered a discounted rate because of the "late check-in status" (even though services started well before normal check-in time) and they agreed and chose to stay.

In the morning the guests enjoyed breakfast, and without a prior reservation, they were served from the unlimited buffet style continental breakfast that the Marathon runners had chosen at the time of their confirmed reservations which included freshly baked bagels, delicious cranberry covered goat cheese, cream cheese, jams, organic peanut butter, unsweetened organic soy milk, coffee/tea made with filtered water, organic half and half cream, orange juice and bananas.

Once again I was surprised when the guests Mr. and Mrs. Guest from Albany, NY left without leaving any payment. This begs the question; did these people PLAN to make up false stories in order to cover up the reality of them skipping out on their bill?
The following month, after the guest's departure, I was able to receive a partial payment for lodging from the Bed and Breakfast gift certificate company after explaining the situation at hand.

One unfortunate situation does not compare to the joys of thousands of great experiences that makes my business very rewarding. The highlight of Wellesley Bed and Breakfast is seeing repeat visitors (approximately 30 percent) and meeting new guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed June 12, 2011

If you are looking for a unique experience this is certainly a great option. We were in the largest room with the private bath and found it very clean and comfortable. The inn keeper could not have nicer or more accommodating, and the breakfast was wonderful. There is no real common area and that could be a drawback but for us it not was not an issue.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank boakman
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I booked a year in advance for my college reunion, and followed up with an email confirming my reservation in March. This led to an exchange of emails with the proprietor, Margot --, and several redundant phone conversations about my room needs, arrival time and schedule. The last two conversations took place less than a week before my arrival, so I was stunned to find out when I arrived that Margot had given away my room (apparently the only one with an en suite bath). Moreover, she seemed to have no idea who I was or why I was there, and remembered little or nothing about the dozen emails and phone calls we'd exchanged. Her excuse was the recent death of a friend, which hardly explained the fact that she'd never written anything down or (despite having been given my address and credit card information) charged my card. She gave me another room promised the bathroom across the hall would be exclusively mine, and--not having any other options--I agreed. (She offered a discount, which was hardly the point.) The bed was comfortable, but that night (despite my exhaustion) I was kept awake by loud talking from downstairs, as well as food odors from the kitchen. This went on until about 1am. The following day, I returned in the late afternoon and found someone was using my bathroom. It turned out to be -- herself, who emerged from the shower wrapped in a towel, took one look at me across the hall, and said, "I'm cleaning your bathroom." How she thought I would think her showering qualified as cleaning, I don't know, but decided not to pursue it. That night, I was again kept awake by loud converstation and food smells from the kitchen, all of which seemed to waft up to my room. The next morning, -- asked, "What could I do to make it better?" and was thunderstruck when I told her I'd been disturbed by loud voices and food smells both nights. The fact that most B&Bs have rules about noise seemed not to have occurred to her, either. I was extremely relieved to be out of there and, needless to say, will not be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank hopeanderson09
WellesleyBnB, Owner at Wellesley Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Guest changed requests for guest rooms several times since her first reservation. Only the Honeymoon Romantic Room has an ensuite bath which was asked for initially, followed by 2 change orders in March of 2011, first requesting a room with 2 beds, then a smaller room would be fine. The first change request resulted in renting out the only room with an ensuite bath to another guest. I have the email thread to offer upon request. Details of amenities for each room are posted on my web site.

This guest was the only guest using the common bath room during her stay. I explained to her that the guest room that normally shares this bath was not rented out. I asked the guest after breakfast what time she would be returning to my home later in the day so that I could schedule a cleaning of the common bath while she was out. She said around 6 pm. At approximately 4 pm I showered in the common bath since the BnB is my personal residence and detailed the bathroom cleaning, making all surfaces sparkling clean. I emerged with a towel on my head, because I dry my hair in my room. The guest experiences were a direct result of her own change in plans with regards to both issues addressed so far.

I am very service orientated and take my business very seriously. I would have appreciated a phone call at any hour if guests were talking late at night keeping her awake. Most guests have commented on how quiet the home is, which is situated in a residential neighborhood. I would have liked to address the concern immediately, if I had been given the opportunity. The guest notified me of concerns only upon her departure from my home. My goal is to make every guest very happy.

The aromas from cooking make the home very homey. Many guests have enjoyed culinary treats right out of the oven throughout the day and evening hours. Often times, I have also offered cold and hot beverages throughout the day and evening hours and invited guests to call me anytime if there is anything I could do for them. Based on this review, I am always willing to improve, and will be looking at air filtering systems.
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We loved this place. My family came to stay for my Babson graduation in May for a week. Margot the owner is very flexible and always willing to accomodate her customers. She was very understanding in terms of my father, who is an older man, and needs more personalized care. She even offered to give him rides to nearby stores and accompanied hi while I was gone. She is very open to restructuring her rules to make it work for you! Big hotels just don't care enough and the staff is often underpayed and it shows. Once at the Newton Sheraton, last time my family came to visit, the bed rest even fell off. Took them 2 days to repair it. Also, the phone wasn't working, and we spent countless hours on hold from my cellphone to be able to get someone to replace it. I LOVE THIS PLACE!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank spunde1
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed June 5, 2011

This B & B has a wonderfully warm and friendly atmosphere with all services available. The owner is extremely accommodating, and we found the location to be perfect (within walking distance of restaurants and stores, yet quiet and green). Easy access from Routes 9 and 16. Very clean, and with a creative way to serve a complete and satisfying breakfast. I was thrilled to get some brownies in the middle of the afternoon, just when I needed a pick-me-up. It's a keeper. My husband and I heartily recommend it, and would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PatiMont
Reviewed May 27, 2011

I'll start by saying we travel a lot and I don't complain often.

I'll start by saying the innkeeper seemed very pleasant over the phone. We arrived at 3:45 to check in; we were told our room would be extra large and had it's own entrance. It sounded great. When we arrived, the innkeeper answered the door and asked, "Can't you go to dinner or something? I'm not ready yet." If we had known what that meant at the time, we would have left. Our room was going to cost $217 (which she claimed cost more than the other rooms because it was very large and luxurious). She told us to leave our stuff out in the entryway (a very small, dirty entryway) and she would take care of it. We went for a run, came back at 5 and she said the same, "I'm not ready yet." Because we had come to Boston and intended to go out and eat and we told her this, she let us use a shower in the house which actually was clean and maybe the best part of our stay. My husband and our one year old baby had to sit on the front steps while I showered since there was no place for them to go.

We came back at 9:30 p.m., called the innkeeper's phone (which we had called several times earlier in the day and she didn't pick up) and she finally picked up, she was short with us. When we arrived, she led us by wind-up flashlight through an unkempt backyard to a door off the back of the house. This is when we realized she was renting us her personal bedroom. We're still not sure where she slept that night but we do know that there were sheets covering her personal items and mattresses (!) that towered to the ceiling and the sheer amount of stuff made it very difficult to just walk through the room. And the amount of dirt on the "rug" was astounding. Still, she insisted we take our shoes off. She told us to "adjust the bed" using the controller at which point we realized we would be staying on an air mattress. My husband got upset and she told us we could leave and she would give our money back. At almost 10:00 at night with a baby (who was surprisingly happy and awake), we had no choice but to stay. She asked us when we were going to be taking our shower because she needed to take a shower before bed and her shower would take a half an hour. And after she took a shower, we would need to pay attention to the girl on the other side of the bathroom who, too, was sharing the bathroom.

As you can imagine, we didn't sleep much on the air mattress which was kind of funny because we had decided to bypass the family living in the area who had offered an air mattress on which we could stay. By the time we got to breakfast, we didn't expect much. And getting Lenders-like bagels was what we got, no home-made breakfast items like we always get at bed and breakfasts. The rotary-like phone located on the floor behind the door rang at some point during breakfast and the innkeeper said to the person on the other line, "This has gone on long enough! I need the writ of execution." Not sure what that was about but maybe it would have been better not to discuss a hot issue with someone in front of guests. After she hung up the phone, she put it back on the floor next to the couch covered in a sheet under which she pulled out a napkin.

It was truly a weird experience. The only saving grace was that she gave back our check for $67 so the stay was only $150 total - still way, way, way too expensive for a stay like this. The location was nice because we were a block away from the Boston Marathon course and we had come to watch the marathon; thank goodness we weren't running in it (we are marathoners in general) because we would have bombed in our sleep-deprived state. Shockingly, no one else seems to have reported on a terrible experience with this bed and breakfast but it occurred to my husband and I that maybe things had quickly gone downhill for this business. We felt an obligation to let people know how bad a bed and breakfast truly can be.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank IloveNYAlbany_NY

Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Very convenient location, only a five minute walk to commuter rail into Boston. Just a block from Wellesley Hills village, with numerous restaurants, including excellent Indian and Thai choices, and a Whole Foods store (room has a refrigerator for drinks and snacks). There are three rooms, large, medium, and small. The large room has an enormous bed and a private bath. The medium room is a little cramped for two (it does have a comfortable bed) and the small room is probably best for one person. Medium and small rooms share a bath, though we had it to ourselves for the first two nights (and got a free upgrade to the large room on the third night, when we were the only guests). One oddity: when we paid, the owner suggested that we add a "gratuity" (and said that most people did). Tipping isn't generally expected at US B&B's, but we did add a small one. In retrospect we probably shouldn't have allowed ourselves to be intimidated!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Snakebite_Survivor
WellesleyBnB, Owner at Wellesley Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
For the guest who appreciates a receipt for expenses, I always ask if I should include the gratuity into the receipt. I am very service orientated and often am in receipt of very nice gratuities. For example, during non-peak travel seasons, I sometimes provide a free upgrade to a nicer and larger room and have provided special requests at Breakfast time such as gluten free baked items, lactose free milk, goat milk, unsweetened organic soy milk, etc. Sometimes when arrival is very late, guests have hired me to provide a dinner upon arrival when local restaurants are closed. For guests who depart very early to catch a flight, I offer a breakfast "to go" that they can enjoy "on the run". In my BnB, gratuities are the norm, but maybe it's because I go the extra mile for my guests. During Breakfast, if it's raining, I offer a loaner umbrella and have helped keep many guests dry on wet days. It is important to me that my guests are comfortable inside and outside of my home. Thank you for your great subject matter: "Location, Location, Location". I am thrilled that you enjoyed your free upgraded room.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wellesley
Residence Inn Boston Needham
Hotel Indigo Boston - Newton Riverside
Hampton Inn Boston-Natick
Sheraton Needham Hotel
Sheraton Needham Hotel
#2 of 2 in Needham
Boston Marriott Newton
Red Roof Inn Boston Framingham

Been to Wellesley Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!