“"Traditional Sunday morning breakfast."”

Mel's Commonwealth Cafe
Ranked #5 of 26 Restaurants in Wayland
Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 19, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I visited late Sunday morning to this long-standing traditional family owned diner. We arrived about 11 AM and there was a long line as usual. We were fortunate that we were a couple because a table for two opened up immediately.
We live locally and have come often for 20 years but I would not consider us regulars.

The food is always good and the service very friendly.My wife ordered the traditional Eggs Benedict.I ordered the Lite French today with egg beaters .I ordered chocolate milk but was instead served coffee. The waitress pleasantly apologized and brought me some chocolate milk.

The waitress also asked if I wanted lite maple syrup and I said I did.I had to ask again after the French toast was delivered.

Overall they do a great job accommodating large numbers without making you feel rushed. The menu is large but they still maintain to serve good quality food. I definitely recommend Mel's and will continue to go there often in the future .

Their lunches are also recommended and receive equally good reviews but we prefer to go for breakfast.

Reviewed February 18, 2017

I used to frequent this small cafe as a child, when it was besides the old Cochituate pharmacy. How times change. The new cafe is now totally modernized and is packed with loyal patrons. I dined here in a family party of 16 for breakfast. I ordered the eggs benedict which was absolutely wonderful. My brother ordered the Irish version which came on corned beef hash. Breakfast omelettes are huge and coffee just keeps coming. Locals come in frequently for the take out muffins. The cafe also serves lunch. My only complaint was the quality of the potatoes which accompanied our meals. Everyone in the party complained potatoes tasted very strange. Great breakfast location. Advice. Do not eat at the Villa restaurant in close proximity. Their food is very subpar.

Reviewed February 13, 2017 via mobile

As with many diners, the food tends to better than the service. Really nice selection of diner fare - breakfasts, sandwiches, wraps, and so forth. Got a breakfast for lunch - very good. Added bonus - they have sourdough toast! Usually I can only find that in California. Recommended.

Reviewed December 6, 2016

This is a mainstay for us...Saturday mornings before errands, Sunday mornings after church. My kids literally grew up in Mel's. Same great people serving you week in and week out and a consistent menu of favorite breakfast and lunch items! My only issue is that it has become breakfast for almost the price of dinner. I get that prices are going up everywhere, but you shouldn't have to pay $30 for breakfast...Still going to go, but maybe not as often.

Reviewed November 27, 2016

Find myself there every Sunday! Really great omletes and breakfast foods. Pancakes, Waffles, eggs, etc.