“It Was Supposed to Be Like Abe & Louie's - But It Wasn't!”
Review of The Coach Grill

The Coach Grill
Ranked #6 of 26 Restaurants in Wayland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old Connecticut
Framingham, Massachusetts
“It Was Supposed to Be Like Abe & Louie's - But It Wasn't!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It's a sad thing when a restaurant that had a good reputation is bought up by a restaurant group tht doesn't maintain the standards of the original owner.

My wife, son and I ate in Abe & Louie's about a year ago for our anniversary. This year, we decided to try the Coach Grill - since it was in the same group of restaurants that Abe & Louie's was in.

Let me tell you this outright, it was nothing like Abe & Louie's!

The menu was the same; but the steaks, when they eventualy arrived, weighed far less than the weights listed - and I'm allowing for normal shrinkage during broiling. The bone-in filet was supposed to weigh 14 oz.; but I think it barely weighed 10 oz with the bone, My son's 16 oz. aged NY Sirloin, weighed about 12 oz. and when he gave me a small piece to try, I realized that the meat was probably USDA Choice - almost as good as we get in our local Stop & Shop! (It was chewy; aged prime beef, which we've had many times in the past, in places like NYC's Old Homstead Steakhouse, is soft and succulent.)

Last year, the filets we all had at Abe & Louie's were succulent!

The sides at Abe & Louie's were well-prepared and generous in size. At the Coach Grill, they wre skimpy and poorly-prepared. The garlic mashed potatoes were bone dry; no cream or butter was evident. The miniscule amount of creamed spinach was cooked-out and flavorless; it should have been discarded by the kitchen and not served to us. The asparagus with hollandaise was a singular disapointment; the amount of hollandaise served was about half of what it should have been and it was flavorless - some kind of an instant sauce perhaps?

When I complained about this to the wairtress, I got no reaction and no satisfaction. Customer satisfaction does not seem to be a priority with the new owners.

For the price, quality (and quantity) was lacking and a meal like this is not worth the price paid!

I've seen other reviews complaining about the new owners; this is another one acting as a reinforcement!

Maybe some day, the original owners will buy back the restaurant and restore its reputation.

London, United Kingdom
“Great steak and lots of fun...”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

6 of us went for supper...we spent $430 excluding tip...most of us had 3 courses, cocktails and wine...so all in all not bad. The steaks are very good...one had scallops...they were fab...but the dish lacked finesse...the scallops were just tossed in a bowl...a number of the other dishes also lacked sophistication...this included the watermelon/beetroot/goat cheese salad...tasted good but looked clunky...

We also had fun with our waiter, Kevin....He was fab.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Decent Food, but somewhat overpriced for the Quality”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

If any of you out there remember Howard Johnson's with its 28 flavors of ice cream which dotted about every turnpike and highway in the USA in the 50's through the 80's or so, then some of you might remember that in an effort to improve their image, they started a high end Chain called the Red Coach Grill. The food was better but not great, and it was very overpriced for its time. After Howard Johnson's demise mostly at the hands of McDonald's and others of its type, their Red Coaches were gobbled up by others and re-purposed. Now as you enter the Coach Grill parking lot, that Red Coach sits, still brightly red atop the Coach Grill, sign, a beacon from the past., This restaurant was bought out by the Back Bay Restaurant Group, now owned by Tavistock. The restaurant is elegant with comfy booths and oversized commercial style chandeliers hanging all over the restaurant, a very cozy space indeed.

We were seated in a very noisy part of the restaurant, near the bar, but with a nearly empty dining area we asked to be moved to a quieter section in the dining areas for which we were quickly accommodated. Service was very good with immediate attention to our table, and liquids quickly brought over .

Since we were here for brunch, we got the brunch menu and ordered. I had the Lobster Benedict and my partner had the traditional Eggs Benedict.. The bread basket wss an interesting blend of mini blueberry muffins, and mni croissants and other types of sweeter breads, a very nice treat. The eggs arrived and were very fresh as was the lobster, a very good dish, with a good portion of lobster, but still overpriced for what it was. However my request for a veggie substitution for my home fries was affably met with my choice at no extra cost. Even though the price of lobsters has plummeted in the past few years and has not seen much of any recovery, the restaurant industry as a whole refuses to adjust prices as the "perceived value" of lobsters allows them to pocket that extra profit at the expense of the dining public and the lobster fishermen. That said however, this was a well served and tasty meal. The coffee was good and the service attentive. This is a nice restaurant for this suburban area and certainly worth a visit, even if you just want to look at that red coach..

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Belgedoc1
Boston
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After reading reviews I had high hopes. I give this restaurant 3.5 stars. We were sat next to the window. Looking out over a parking lot does not give me the feel of fine dining. When our waitress came over she said I guess I have this station now. Nice way to start. We all enjoyed our food. I thought the service was not to the degree of other nice restaurants. It wasn't bad, just not great. Too bad, I really wanted to like this place. For the money I will go somewhere else.

Boston, Massachusetts
“The only place for prime rib”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Years ago, when we drove to Canada on the New York Thruway we always stopped at a certain inn near Rochester and enjoyed their humungous “imperial cut” prime rib. I don’t remember how many ounces it was, but it was far more than we could dream of eating today. Since we were on the road a doggy bag was not an option, so we ate it all.

Prime rib is not so common today. One of the few places in our area where it is always on the menu is the Coach Grill in Wayland. It comes to your table as a big pink slab, rare or medium rare as you ordered it, with a moderate amount of fat, juices, and horseradish sauce. Any accompaniments you want are ordered separately. We recommend the Vidalia onion strings.

The menu at Coach Grill is widely varied, you are certainly not limited to beef. One of us had the lamb “porterhouse,” which is actually three medium-size chops. I ordered rare, and they were rare, and the lamb was of exceedingly rare quality.

We had a martini, which got our highest rating, and a glass of the Duckhorn “Decoy” Merlot. The service here is always highly professional, and this time it merited a favorable comment to the manager on the way out. An additional merit of the Coach Grill, at least on this occasion, was that I did not feel the aftereffects of excessive salt, as often happens after eating at other meat-oriented establishments.

• Visited June 2013