“Very good food, fun place”
Review of Deluxe Town Diner

Deluxe Town Diner
Ranked #1 of 107 Restaurants in Watertown
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Newton, Massachusetts
“Very good food, fun place”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Town Diner is a great place. I've had breakfast, lunch and dinner there and can't decide which is the best - it's all good! The menu is mostly comfort food with some healthy/vegetarian options as well. The diner atmosphere is authentic. Service is pleasant and good. Friendly and welcoming, it feels very homey when it's not too busy, but it can be packed because it's not a big place.

• Visited December 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food but you'll pay for it!!”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I've gone for breakfast, brunch and dinner (still had breakfast foods). The "hungry man" meal was absolutely delicious: 2 sausages/bacons strips, 2 eggs, homefries, toast and either 2 slices of french toast or 2 pancakes. Certainly never left hungry! But boy can they burn a hole in your pocket. The meals are absolutely well portioned but for the money, there is other places I would go first. The service can be good or bad, some people are less than pleasant there and barely check if you need a refill of coffee. It's a small, cramped diner but feels like you're eating in the 1950's, so it's cool to go at least once in your life. Worth checking out but make sure to save up before!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Mbotaish
Boston, Massachusetts
“What a dump!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This place is horrible. I went here 10 years ago and remember the dirty silverware, terrible food, and the tricky no prices on the drink side on the menu. I just went again today (not by choice). It has changed. The place got 10 years dirtier, older, and overall much worse. Décor is not classic dinner, its classic dump. Even the menus were dirty. I got a few eggs, home fries and “scali” toast. The eggs looked like they were cooked in gristle, very grey and dark with speckles of something black. The home fries tasted like they were made 3 days ago and barely warmed enough to call them warm. The scali toast wasn’t very scali at all and was stale and overcooked. My friend got the burger and fries. I tried a couple of her fries and you could tell the grease they were cooked in was really very old, probably from 2012 at least. What’s amazing to me is that I still see people waiting outside this dive on weekends as if the food was good. They could offer everything free and I wouldn’t eat there again, not even if they paid me to eat there, forget about waiting outside to get in. What a joke. Watertown has the Watertown Dinner (formally Victor’s) which has gone downhill a little since the new owners took over, but it’s still a lot better than this dump. There is also Tresca’s in the square, not the best either but a great value at half the price of any other breakfast in town. Sometimes the wait for food there is horrible though. So do yourself a favor and steer clear of this place, unless you like having “the runs” which is what I have now from their horrible food. Where is the board of health when you need them? Yuk! The service was blah too. Over all on a scale of 1 to 10, the get a minus 1. Just plain horrible.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank TimandRita
Mitcham, Australia
“An Australian visitor leaves a little disappointed but still a good experience”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I took the time to visit the Deluxe Town Diner on the third and final day of my visit to Boston so I guess I'm making comparisons with the other two breakfasts I enjoyed elsewhere.

The weather was beautiful after two days of rain and humidity. So I'm writing this sitting on the seat outside the diner while the experience was fresh.

Being a solo traveller I was directed to one of the counter stools. Not a problem because it's am experience we can't enjoy in Australia.

My initial impression was the servers appeared preoccupied. I was handed a menu and served reasonably promptly. The coffee took some time to arrive and I was only offered one mug. Actuslly the mug was pushed in front of the seat ext to me so i assumed it was mine. My experience elsewhere in the USA has been that of the "bottomless" cup (again something rarely experienced in Australia).

I noticed others being offered iced water but not me. Again the servers seemed preoccupied talking among themselves when not waiting tables.

My egg breakfast was OK (the bacon is an additional charge) but nothing special. However, the sough dough bread that came with it wasn't bad at all.

Spanish music was playing through the diner. I trust it's OK to say this in 2013 but I wondered if this suited the atmosphere of a traditional American diner.

Knowing how much serving staff are paid in the USA I left a suitable and appropriate tip. However, I wondered what locals do when they experience indifferent but not unsatisfactory service.

I enjoy making the effort to travel out into the suburbs to experience the local cuisine but Town is probably not worth the one hour ride from central Boston. The 73 Trolleybus from Harvard passes the door. The stop is Kimball. The bus stop towards Harvard is right outside the diner door. The bus stop from Harvard is across the road.

• Visited October 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Classic diner”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went there with a family extended on all sides. The staff was right on the spot with the seats for one-year old twins, as well as with the more usual things, like water and coffee refills. They also took the inevitable mess and an occasional toddler's cry for justice and the world peace in strides. Breakfast menu was rather extensive and the food was good and fresh. I am not an expert on the Watertown scene (been to Conley's and some awful Chinese restaurant so far) but this seems like it is a good place for a bite in a very accommodating setting.

• Visited September 2013