“Terrific Greek food in a stylish, low-key setting”
Review of Aegean Restaurant - CLOSED

Aegean Restaurant
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Belmont, MA
“Terrific Greek food in a stylish, low-key setting”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My family plus my in-laws went to the Aegean Restaurant last Saurday evening (5/18/13) to celebrate my wife's birthday. It is one of her (and our) favorite local restaurants. It is located in Watertown, MA, not far from two malls, but don't let the location fool you, this is a very fine place and one of the nicest Greek restaurants in the greater Boston area. The decor is wat I might call "low-key elegant", meaning it is not formal or stuffy yet it's quite stylish and contemporary. While waiting for our appetizer to arrive, we had home-baked bread and pita dipped in spicy olive oil, which was wonderful. Our party then shared a large mixed appetizer with dolmata (stuffed grape leaves), Greek sausage, kalamata olives, hummus, pita and tomatoes, all of which were fresh and authentic. I had the baked stuffed sole, stuffed with a tasty crabmeat stuffing that was not overly bread-y, and the flavors of the sole and the crab remained distinct and worked very well together. Others in our party had broiled salmon over Greek salad, which they pronounced delicious, moist and firm, perfectly done. One person had trout which he declared very good, flaky and moist, adding "This trout is perfectly done!" My daughter had chicken cutlets which she said were excellent. In addition, we all noted how large the portions were, and virtually everybody took part of their meal home. None of us could handle dessert, so I didn't get to try any of them, Maybe next time. The service was friendly, accurate, and attentive but not intrusive. I would highly recommend the Aegean to anyone around Boston looking for seafood or for a delicious, authentic Greek meal and a very pleaant dining experience.

• Visited May 2013

Acton, MA
“"Average" is being pretty generous”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We've eaten at the Watertown location with friends in the past and stopped in on Sunday night for a quick bite. The Moussaka was ok. I know lots of recipes do use ground beef but was dissappointed a Greek resataurant would.It was ok but their Framingham location seems to deliver better quality.

• Visited April 2013
Troy, Michigan
“Needs Help”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

As other reviewers observed, service here stinks and it is not the fault of the waitresses. In part it is the restaurant layout which has waitresses going 2 different directions to kitchen and register. Maybe they have too many tables? Waitress showed up to take basic orders but we could not find her when we wanted another drink, or more bread, or to refresh our water or to correct some problems.

At its best, Greek food is about simple ingredients prepared simply. This place had it part right but with some glaring shortfalls. Calamari was heavily breaded and served with TARTAR SAUCE. I had the baked lamb that was almost all bones and with a sauce that tasted like Campbells tomato soup poured over it. My wife had lamb souvlaki with potatoes. Potatoes were served cold; the souvlaki tasted like it had marinated too long.

On Saturday night they have Greek music after 10 pm...you need reservations. We'll try it again.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank 1Rahhalatun
Watertown, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible, avoid if possible, management needs help bigtime”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Absolutely one of the worst service experiences I can remember in a long time, and it wasn't the fault of our waitress, she was doing the very best she could under difficult circumstances, but I blame their management for their complete lack of identifying a waitress who obviously had to many tables to work and then making the proper adjustment to try and solve the problem. I felt very sorry for our waitress, she was probably working 10 tables herself while other waitressess were just standing around not helping out, and had maybe 2-4 tables at the most. This restaurant is not cheap by no means, an entree averages around $19-$22, and for those prices a customer should expect exceptional service, and not only did we have terrible service, when our food did finally arrive it was cold. To cap off what was a terrible experience, when we were finally ready to pay our bills and we wanted to explain to the waitress how disappointed we were in our service, the daughter of the owner came right up to our table and told our waitress to go over to table 4 because they were waiting too long. We went directly up to the daughter to complain, the mother came over to us and was completely unapologetic, and didn't offer any kind of apology for what was obviously a bad experience. My recommendation is to avoid this restaurant at all cost, the food is ok, but it's expensive and certainly not worth the price.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mark H
Winchester, Massachusetts
“Nice atmosphere, lots of food, good service, low prices, horrible food”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My son and I went for lunch. I ordered Moussaka with potatoes on the side. The taste was below bland, more like unpleasant. The salad had so much oil on it that I couldn't eat it. I ate less than half of the food. I took the rest home and then I just threw it out. My son had a Caesar salad. He ate about one-quarter of it. It is too bad. The waitress was nice, the atmosphere pleasant, and the price low. I will not go back.

• Visited January 2013