“Still under construction...”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Still under construction...”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I found this hotel to have older rooms, rickety and old elevators (that make a lot of noises, not so good ones), and a staff that is a bit preoccupied with their own activities (except for one evening worker). The breakfast person turned up the TV to sit down and enjoy himself both mornings I was there, even though I turned down the TV when I arrived since I was the only person eating in the breakfast room and I figured I didn't want to listen to loud commercials. He came out of the back room, complained loudly, and went ahead and turned up the TV, sat down, and proceeded to act as if he were on his couch at home, getting himself some coffee as well.

More on the room: Outdated and therefore not great walls, carpet, TV, etc., more like you'd find at a shabbier hotel. I don't think they're interested in putting much into it.

Finally, and this really got me, the internet they state as "high speed internet" was in fact less than 1 Mbps, and it couldn't even stream a video properly. I got ready to watch a nice program over dinner and it skipped all over the place. When their TV has a few channels and most of them are fuzzy, the internet is sometimes one's only entertainment in the evening at a hotel. And then that didn't even work.

Overall, a poor hotel for the cost.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Margot F, Manager at Best Western TLC Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
I shall begin this response by expressing my heartfelt apologies. The staff here at the Best Western TLC is fully trained in customer service and the attitudes that you encountered were unacceptable. In reference to “Still under Construction” all 100 rooms are undergoing a total renovation. The exterior was recently completed. The new restaurant will be opening in March. The guestrooms will begin renovation this month. Renovations will be done so not to inconvenience the guest. We hope that you will give us another try so that we can show off all the improvements. With regards to the Wi-Fi, I can only state that we are wired at 6 Mbps. I will call our internet supplier to see if there was a problem which was out of our control. The hotel has 24 TV channels, premium movie channels, pay per view movies, and in house gaming. We will look into why your tv broadcasts were fuzzy so that we can make the necessary corrections. Thank you very much for your feedback and I will see that all the issues that you mentioned are addressed in a timely fashion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Ann Arbor
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was basically everything I wanted while visiting my god-daughter at college. The location would be good for someone who wants to get on the freeway. Not so great for me wanting to be closer to the university, so I needed a rental car.

Hotel would have most of what you'd want. I don't expect a Best Western to get 5 stars, so 4 stars means I was very satisfied.

Two quibbles. Smaller one: everything in the so-so breakfast is with paper or plastic. Bring your coffee mug or real spoon if you want that. Bigger issue (but I'm probably the odd one out here): they think everyone wants to hear the television while eating breakfast, and it's not something neutral like CNN. Lots of loud advertisements. When I was the only one eating, I asked a worker if he could lower it, and instead he just sat down and watched it, all ads for the next few minutes. Maybe he didn't hear or understand me, but he didn't answer. ??? I just wore ear plugs after that. I guess I'm a snob because I want quiet to enjoy breakfast or read instead of watching the tube.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank biophiliac
Skaneateles, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Lobby is nice and the breakfast room is very large and clean. Probably the best hotel breakfast I have seen. They had a lot of choices, kept very clean. The room was outdated and musty. The wallpaper was peeling. On the plus side, the blackout curtains were great--very dark in the morning. The bathroom was clean but small and the towels were scratchy. Due to lack of exhaust fan in the bathroom, the room was musty. The bed was also a little on the soft side for my liking but my husband didn't mind. Convenient to the T station,less than 10 minute drive and a 30 minute ride into Boston.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Margot F, Manager at Best Western TLC Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I would like to offer my most heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience that our remodeling has caused. The hotel is in the midst of a major remodel of both the interior and the exterior of the building. The rooms are in the process of being completely renovated and updated and the restaurant will be open in just a few months. Thank you for your patience and the nice comments regarding our Continental breakfast. Your feedback is important to us so that improvements can be made.
Pasadena, California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

All the hotels in this pocket of hotels were full by 5pm, and this was the last one with any rooms. We had to pay something like $200 which was about $100 more than it was worth.

However, the room was basically ok. Some issues - there was this strange humming noise that periodically started and stopped during the night (not sure if it was internal or external to the hotel); and housekeeping chose to ignore our "do not disturb" sign.

The restaurant was under renovation so we had to go to The Naked Fish for dinner - which proved to be excellent.

But a good free breakfast was provided.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 10, 2012

On Sept. 30, I cancelled two reservations to stay at Best Western TLC, for a total of 10 days. The first reservation was for a stay that was supposed to begin on Oct. 2.

I made the two reservations in August, despite having read critical Web reviews that alleged bed bugs, grungy rooms, nasty personnel, poor breakfasts, near-elevator noise and construction noise.

At the end of August, i called the hotel's manager, Margot Fenton. I told her that I was concerned about the bad reviews. She assured me that the reviews were incorrect and unfair. She promised to put me in a newly renovated room. She read a computer entry that she was typing while we spoke, directing that a room be held for me. She mentioned Room 418 and said that she'd ask her "property manager' to pick the best room. She promised that she would personally put the number of the selected room in the computer AND call me about the selected room the next day. Ms. Fenton never called.

On Sept. 30, I called the hotel's front desk and asked if Room 418 or some other newly renovated room was being held for upcoming arrival. I was told that a note had been placed in the computer to "hold the room" but that no room had been selected. She suggested that I call Ms. Fenton "on Monday."

I canceled my two reservations because of Ms. Fenton's failure to keep her promises and after reading more critical reviews of the hotel.

From my point of view, Ms. Fenton is part of the problem at Best Western TLC.

I ended up staying at a nearby hotel. From the outside, the Best Western TLC looks old and dilapidated. It appeared that the Best Western TLC is undergoing outside renovations. That may explain the complaints about construction noise.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MusherMe
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed October 9, 2012

First off my boss was treated like crap while trying to pay for this room, we went on business and only stayed one night. We arrived later in the evening, was taken down a dirty hallway that looked like it was stained with blood, the light didn't work and there was a lone lamp in the sink, the bed was stained, there was dust and grime and we asked twice to be moved and was told no. It was so loud too...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business