“Decent value for the area”

BEST WESTERN TLC Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Waltham
New Yorik City
“Decent value for the area”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have a child at Brandeis University, so we have stayed at 5 different hotels in Waltham over the past couple of years. We were happy with the value of the Best Western. It's a little frayed around the edges (peeling wallpaper, older furniture), but it was clean and comfortable. The fact that breakfast is included is a plus. Last time, we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for the same price, and breakfast was not included.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NYCTraveler60
Margot F, Manager at BEST WESTERN TLC Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
I was so glad to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and thank you for your patronage. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that the Best Western TLC Hotel is undergoing renovations in our guest rooms and guest baths beginning this Winter of 2012/2013. We will renovate one floor at a time over several months so we do not inconvenience our guests. Once complete the Hotel will be a 100% smoke free building. The list is long but some of the major changes will include wall vinyl, carpet, paint and furniture. All 100 guest rooms will offer new 37" LCD televisions too. We will also be renovating the outside of the building which will include all new windows, paint and moldings. We are very excited to announce that a new restaurant, the Copper House, will be opening in early 2013. The 200+ seat restaurant will feature an open kitchen concept and serve American Fusion cuisine. Guests of the Hotel will be able to order a full hot breakfast in addition to our deluxe continental. You will even be able to dine Al Fresco on the outdoor patio! We look forward to having you stay with us again and if there is anything I can do for you please feel free to call me at 781-419-7319

Best Western TLC Hotel
380 Winter St.
Waltham, MA 02451

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked this Best Western for a one night stay to attend a game at Fenway. After checking out many hotels, the AAA price of $89 was a great deal for Boston. The hotel was right off I-95 and easy to access. We requested a top floor room, but it wasn't ready when we checked in early. The desk clerk, Kim, was very helpful in fulfilling our request, however the room, 610, was right nest to the elevator which created a continuous rolling sound by our bed. Fortunately, the sound of the air conditioner made our sleep bearable. I would suggest reserving a different room
The room itself was very clean with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer and a large closet with an ironing board and iron. It wad a nice sofa sitting area. There was a stale, smoky smell in the hallway, but not in our room.The king-size bed was very comfortable.
The front desk gave us explicit, good directions to the Riverside stop to get the T (green line). It took about 10 minutes to drive there. We paid $6 to park in the lot and $2.50 each way for the T. Fenway was a direct stop which took about 20 minutes, and about 10 minutes to walk to the ballpark. This was on a Saturday, so I don't know how the commute would be during rush hour.
They had a small pool and a gym which we didn't use, but the complimentary breakfast was good. They had a waffle machine, bagels, hard boiled eggs with the other usual suspects.
All in all it was a great place to stay, with good connections to Boston.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to the elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Laval, France
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We have stayed in lots of hotels of that type and always take tripadvisor advice. It is the first time I stayed in a Best Western hotel and it was not my best experience. Although hotel and room are globally OK (although some dirty towel left in the bathroom): free basic breakfast, free internet, parking and microwave and rerfigerator in the room, I would not recommend it neithe for the friendliness of of the staff nor for the surroundings:it is not a place where your feel welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lavalfrance
Margot F, Manager at BEST WESTERN TLC Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
The Best Western TLC Hotel holds to the highest standards of customer service. I apologize if you did not find our staff to be friendly. Our staff is trained to be both respectful and professional. We are sorry that your stay did not meet your satisfaction. Please call me at 781-419-7319 so that I can discuss your specific concerns in further detail. We will take the necessary actions to make sure that it does not happen again.

Best Western TLC Hotel
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I might have given them a 3 if my family and I hadn't been forced to stay here due to every hotel closer to Boston being fully booked. Having said that, I can't give them a higher review due to cleanliness issues, like the layer of soap scum mixed with mold around the bottom of our tub (the drain was clogged as well) and the cockroach that crawled across our table during breakfast. It also didn't help that we had to wait in line behind the employees serving themselves from the meager fare at breakfast or that our wait at the elevators was doubled due to one of them being out of order our entire stay. While I didn't see evidence of bedbugs when I checked the matresses, I did notice that they were both enclosed in plastic. After reading some of the posts, which we had missed before traveling, I'm kind of creeped out about the possibility of having brought bedbugs home. I guess you can call it a value if you compare it to five star hotels in Boston, but I've stayed at hotels that were twice as nice for half the cost.

Room Tip: book your hotel early so you're not forced to stay here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Margot F, Manager at BEST WESTERN TLC Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
The Best Western TLC in Waltham, MA aspires to the highest standards of cleanliness and to a superior quality of customer service. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We have won the 2011 Housekeeping Cleanliness Award for outstanding Service. As a Brand we adhere to the I Care Clean program that applies advanced cleaning technologies such as UV wands and black lights, like those used in hospitals, to exceed customer expectations in the cleanliness of our hotel rooms and common areas. In addition the Best Western has also implemented clean remotes and pillow and blanket wraps. Along this same vein, plastic mattress covers are used in order to protect our guests from bed bugs that can be brought into the hotel from luggage and other outside sources. We are a proactive facility. Unfortunately, at the time of your stay one of our elevators was being repaired. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Here at the Best Western TLC we pride ourselves on providing the best value in an area ripe with technology and abundant in competing hoteliers. Here I must add that the hotel has recently leased the restaurant which will help alleviate any long lines. This new restaurant is being completely remodeled and will provide our guests with an exceptional dining experience with regards to food, beverages and the added benefit of a hot breakfast. Again, I apologize we did not meet your standards nor the level of service that you deserved. Please call me at your earliest convenience so I can discuss your stay in more detail.
Best Western TLC Waltham, MA
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I am usually looking for a great bargain and this hotel did not let me down. I think the quality of this hotel is excellent for its rating and I will definitely consider booking it again and will recommend it to others. While the location is not right in Boston, we appreciated its proximity to the motorway and were able to get around to all of the sights without issue. The hotel itself was in excellent condition and its personnel were all professional and friendly. Check-in was a breeze and we were very happy with the condition of our room. It was clean and the facilities were in order. I experienced none of the negatives reported in earlier reviews. We enjoyed the indoor pool and the sleep was very comfortable. It's definitely worth coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I've been two times to this place in 2009 and 2011. This hotel is a great hotel when you're on a budget. Rooms are really unexpensive and clean.

This is an old hotel that would need some renovations but it's clean and the breakfast is good. The rooms are fairly big and the bed was comfortable.

This is a great place to stay when you want to visit boston because the riverside subway is one exit away from Waltham and I found it pretty useful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank maxrx7
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed here in the past, this time was only for one night. We did not get to try the fitness center. Bathroom was small, but adequate. Breakfast was okay. Our only complaint was that it sounded like someone was rolling carts back and forth across the floor above our room. It turns out that our room shared a wall with the elevator. Every time someone used the elevator, we heard it. My only recommendation is that you should make sure the room doesn't back against the elevator.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that share a wall with the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family