“Friendly bar with great food!”
Review of The Gaff

The Gaff
Ranked #29 of 193 Restaurants in Waltham
New Jersey
“Friendly bar with great food!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed in Waltham as a base for a Boston weekend. Chose The Gaff on the night of our arrival based on tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. You need to know going in that this is not a restaurant, it's a bar. There are five or six small bar tables along the wall opposite the bar and a small lounge area by the door. When we arrived all the tables were occupied but there were two seats at the bar so that's where we sat and ate. The bartender was friendly and knowledgeable. The food is definitely not your typical bar fare. The food menu isn't extensive but what is available is prepared expertly and is very good. My husband ordered the steak sandwich and was warned it was spicy, which he was fine with. It did have a good kick to it. He was impressed that the cut of steak was extremely tender and tasty. I ordered the bistro chicken and was equally satisfied. All in all, a very satisfying meal.

• Visited April 2014

“Best Bar on Moody”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

The Gaff is a great little bar at the top on Moody Street. Although the bar is small it is very warm and inviting. When you walk in there is a nice little lounge area to the right with about 3 couches. The bar runs down the rest of the space. There is not many tables but we have always seemed to find a seat. The beer list is extensive and filled with a great variety of brews you will not find anywhere else on moody. The bartenders are excellent and very knowledgeable. We decided to try the food as well and we were pleasantly surprised. They have some of the best pub food around. The Bistro Chicken is excellent and flavorful. Beers are a little expensive but it is expected for craft brews. I highly recommend you try this out if you are looking for something different in Waltham.

• Visited March 2014
LexGSR
“Worth the walk down Moody St”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Really a 4.5-star review: it's excellent relative to bar/pub spots.

Despite many trips to Waltham, I'd never heard of this place... perhaps because it is so far down Moody St... but it's been there a number of years. And it's worth the walk. The food was quite good - not gourmet, but some of the tastiest bar food I've had - and the beer selection is fantastic. Top that off with friendly service and this is a winner. It's much better in almost every dimension than the nearby Watch City brewpub. I'd say it's especially good for a business lunch in town... and I will certainly be back for that.

Note: opens for lunch at noon... get's busy by 12:30.

• Visited February 2014
“amazing and good experience”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Went to dinner not expecting to much but was very surprised. The amount of choice for great beer from all over. We could not decide and the bartender served us flights based on our likes. He was spot on and his knowledge of brews were outstanding. The food was beyond good. If you just want snack try the rueben appetizer. It is a ball with swiss cheese in the center and fried sort of like risotto balls but this one is all meet with breaded and fried, yumm. The angus burger with fried egg and brioche buttered bun. Great atmosphere and looking forward to returning. Thank you for the experiece.

• Visited December 2013
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
“Cozy lunch”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I took our son and his friend for lunch this Sunday. There is a huge selection of beers and the atmosphere was homey/bar. I loved the pumpkin beer! We had burgers and fries and they were delicious. I had the veggie burger and my husband had the Gaff Burger which has a fried egg, bacon and cheese on it!!!! The server who was also the bartender was very knowledgeable and even chased us down after we left without our credit card.....
We will definitely come back again!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Charlene410

Been to The Gaff? Share your experiences!